Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Parked at PV today - the lot was quite well used - maybe two thirds full (very rough estimate). The lot is enormous - reminds me of Finch. Also, the place felt like a GO station. Heading home at 6:30, it had emptied to about one third.

Last edited:
These stations are being used by commuters only as there is nothing around them to trigger any other activities or reasons why someone would go there. That’s why the subway was a mistake. They spent lots of money building stations that maybe have some people 2 hours a day. Outside of rush hour they are empty and so are the trains. I get on at Eglinton W and in the morning the trains are not busy heading south (I’m ignoring the ones that turn back at Glencairn). The ones heading northbound are downright empty. You could literally fit everyone onto a regular bus.

There were also about 20 people at the Pioneer Village TTC bus bay which is... encouraging? YRT bus loop was deserted (and incomplete).

These stations are being used by commuters only as there is nothing around them to trigger any other activities or reasons why someone would go there. That’s why the subway was a mistake. They spent lots of money building stations that maybe have some people 2 hours a day. Outside of rush hour they are empty and so are the trains. I get on at Eglinton W and in the morning the trains are not busy heading south (I’m ignoring the ones that turn back at Glencairn). The ones heading northbound are downright empty. You could literally fit everyone onto a regular bus.

It's way too early to tell. If it's still like that in 15 years, then the subway was a mistake. But what VMC really needs right now is some retail/restaurants. Maybe try to get the Cineplex (Colossus) to move to VMC (although it would mean the loss of a local landmark).

It's way too early to tell. If it's still like that in 15 years, then the subway was a mistake. But what VMC really needs right now is some retail/restaurants. Maybe try to get the Cineplex (Colossus) to move to VMC (although it would mean the loss of a local landmark).

Cineplex could take over the old AMC!

Its been sitting there empty for ages now.

I'm thinking more of an Empress Walk-style development where the Home Outfitters currently is.

Well, that whole complex around the AMC (including Dave & Buster's, Yuk Yuks etc.) is in VMC. Obviously more will come - those 50-storey towers they announced are going to have a Buca and they're building a YMCA too. So, that's something like Empress Walk. (Though it's also worth noting that Empress Walk's main storefront - an Indigo, a Tower Records, a Staples ,now a Pet Smart) has had a lot of instability. Still, no question it provides an anchor.

EDIT - I'd somehow forgotten what it was called, despite the cheeky name but this is the "Hopefully Like Empress Walk" condo...
http://transitcitycondo.ca/
Looks like it's adjacent to the YRT terminal.
The barely-in-English website says it's already sold out which is certainly encouraging for those doubting the subway will create sufficient density etc.

(I'm personally curious why they haven't done anything with the AMC itself yet since it's a real blight on the landscape. But it'll go soon enough, I'm sure.)

Generally, it's not surprising there isn't a lot of off-peak travel coming from up north yet. Indeed, it might even be desirable, given how it's repeatedly explained on the Yonge North forum how the trains arrive at Eglinton full now and that's why it can't be built. An extension that doesn't cause downstream issues might be cause for celebration from some but now we're COMPLAINING trains arrive at Eglinton West and still have room? So the worst thing about the Spadina extension is somehow the opposite of the worst thing about the Yonge extension?

What is it what we want to see from our transit system, exactly?

I think I've driven by all the new stations at some point. I need to actually get down in em soon.

Last edited:
Well, that whole complex around the AMC (including Dave & Buster's, Yuk Yuks etc.) is in VMC. Obviously more will come - those 50-storey towers they announced are going to have a Buca and they're building a YMCA too. So, that's something like Empress Walk. (Though it's also worth noting that Empress Walk's main storefront - an Indigo, a Tower Records, a Staples ,now a Pet Smart) has had a lot of instability. Still, no question it provides an anchor.

EDIT - I'd somehow forgotten what it was called, despite the cheeky name but this is the "Hopefully Like Empress Walk" condo...
http://transitcitycondo.ca/
Looks like it's adjacent to the YRT terminal.
The barely-in-English website says it's already sold out which is certainly encouraging for those doubting the subway will create sufficient density etc.

(I'm personally curious why they haven't done anything with the AMC itself yet since it's a real blight on the landscape. But it'll go soon enough, I'm sure.)

Generally, it's not surprising there isn't a lot of off-peak travel coming from up north yet. Indeed, it might even be desirable, given how it's repeatedly explained on the Yonge North forum how the trains arrive at Eglinton full now and that's why it can't be built. An extension that doesn't cause downstream issues might be cause for celebration from some but now we're COMPLAINING trains arrive at Eglinton West and still have room? So the worst thing about the Spadina extension is somehow the opposite of the worst thing about the Yonge extension?

What is it what we want to see from our transit system, exactly?

I think I've driven by all the new stations at some point. I need to actually get down in em soon.
Before or after two-hour transfers? o_O
$3 or $21 :p

I'm thinking more of an Empress Walk-style development where the Home Outfitters currently is.

Empress Walk is my favourite movie theatre in Toronto, I never mind having to wait a bit for friends to arrive. You can basically get to the theatre by transit, walking, cycling or by car equally as easy and there's stores and restaurants to check out while you wait or to do some shopping before a movie. It's actually a really well-done concept. Unfortunately the 2nd and 3rd floor of the retail mall are basically void of life while the first floor and the top movie floor are usually quite busy with people. Not sure why, just an observation.

I think building a Cineplex similar to what was done in Downtown Markham would be a great addition to VMC, integrate it with a public plaza that contributes to synergistic activities like retail, restaurants that can all feed off of each other.

I thinking they're hoping for something like 10 Dundas East (the place opposite Yonge-Dundas Square - I actually had to look up the name of that place).

That would probably be 20-30 years away at least.

Would Cineplex even want to leave Colossus? I think Riocan owns that area. I don't think there is currently any pressure there to remove retail and build condos/offices. Not yet.

They only recently turned the abandoned Rona into a retail plaza.

That would probably be 20-30 years away at least.

Would Cineplex even want to leave Colossus? I think Riocan owns that area. I don't think there is currently any pressure there to remove retail and build condos/offices. Not yet.

They only recently turned the abandoned Rona into a retail plaza.

Centro Square is right across the street. But like I said, that place with the giant flying saucer on top is really something of a local landmark.

Cineplex doesn't have to LEAVE colossus. BMO makes a good point they could do a VIP-boutique style theatre for VMC, like what's in Markham (and Don Mills), and serve a different audience. Colossus is close but the highway is a huge barrier and the number of people in VMC could justify a different theatre on its own. Cineplex doesn't have that many side-by-side theatres but they do have Yonge/Eg and Canada Square almost literally next door, showing different kinds of movies to different audiences.

For that matter, I have no idea how well "The Room," the arcade thingie they have in the Roundhouse is doing and I know Dave & Buster's is already across the street but a VIP theatre/Room North could do well. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until Smart Centres announces some kind of entertainment tenant and it will be interesting to see how it compliments/competes with the "entertainment complex" on the south side of Highway 7.

(I don't share BMO's affinity for Empress Walk but mostly because the elevator is crazy and annoying when movies let out ;) )

Back