Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

But will one be able to WALK around Vaughan if the Spadina subway ends up there? If it gets to be another asphalt desert like the Vaughan Mills area, it will be a wasteland.

Vaughan Mills was a mall - this is a "new urbanism" downtown.
No comparison.
Vaughan has seen Markham Centre, they have seen the tentative plans for Langstaff and that's their goal. Assuming it won't work because it's Vaughan is as unfair as assuming Mississauga can't change.
It will be along until we can assess how walkable it is but that's the plan.

Yes, Vaughan is a shit hole, but VCC station will probably still be in a denser and more pedestrian friendly location than every station of the Spadina line outside of downtown.

Well, ultimately, hopefully.

Sure isn't gonna be like this
ongar13.jpg

Yes, Vaughan is a shit hole, but VCC station will probably still be in a denser and more pedestrian friendly location than every station of the Spadina line outside of downtown.

Meh ... that'll be a while in the making ... some stops on the Spadina line North of Bloor are pretty dense as is.

Either way, more destiny doesn't automatically imply a higher % of people taking transit ... that's usually govern by how the neighborhood is built up.

I have no doubt that there's potential for it to be more dense ... particularly if you factor in employment. But we'll have to see about the transit usage aspect.

With Vaughan Mills so close, you won't find many Vaughanites taking the subway to Yorkdale. With all the services located in Woodbridge and the new VCC, you won't find anyone taking the subway to the dentist, to a movie, or for shopping. Woodbridge is an insular community and has no commonality with Jane/Finch or North Toronto, so no one will use it to visit friends or family.

There is currently no reason for Vaughanites to use the subway except to get to work (am and pm rush hour only), or school (M-F, September to April). That's got to change fast, because as it is the subway will run empty during the day, in the evenings, on weekends, and for 4 months in the summer.

With Vaughan Mills so close, you won't find many Vaughanites taking the subway to Yorkdale. With all the services located in Woodbridge and the new VCC, you won't find anyone taking the subway to the dentist, to a movie, or for shopping. Woodbridge is an insular community and has no commonality with Jane/Finch or North Toronto, so no one will use it to visit friends or family.

I suspect that Yorkdale will continue to be the more premium mall, and will continue to attract Vaughanites. Some people don't like to change their dentist or doctor, so they could potentially use it. Suburban northern Toronto is still quite a diverse region, and I doubt that next to nobody in Woodbridge has relatives in suburban Toronto. Recall that there are middle class subdivisions near Jane and Finch.

Yet, I agree that the extension will take an extremely long time to meet its potential. The infrastructure has been long optimized for car travel, so those in northern Toronto will probably continue to drive to Vaughan to visit family. Yorkdale has ample parking, and so do the strip malls around it.

Not if the Sheppard West line is built! I think Downsview is reasonable. Ridership has increased enough that the AM peak trains are pretty damned crowded from Lawrence West south. Often all the seats are gone at Wilson, always at Yorkdale.

I thought the TTC was going to extend the AM short turns from SCW to Glencairn last year, where's also a pocket track available. It could use it now.

Not if the Sheppard West line is built!

True, but there are no plans for that, so Samsonyuens's point makes sense. The TTC has this strange idea that just because Downsview is the current terminus, it should be the short-turn point. Same goes for the Yonge extension. Why short turn at Finch? Steeles would be more logical.

It's also a question of rolling stock and staffing. Don't forget that. York U station will serve fewer riders than it should as York U wants all buses (except perhaps the 106 and 41) off its property, which of course is kinda dumb. There will be a long stretch form Dufferin and Sheppard to Keele and Finch where there will be no riders (yes, I know Sheppard West, but it will compete with Ellesmere for the lowest ridership). Downsview pulls in a decent ridership, and will continue to with a lot of buses still running there - 84, 106, 107, 108, 117, and an urbanizing area.

I'd argue that the trains should short turn at York U, not Downsview. Downsview seems arbitrary.

It is one less crossover track that would have to be built since there is already one at Downsview.
Speaking of which, are the track configurations known yet?

It's also a question of rolling stock and staffing. Don't forget that. York U station will serve fewer riders than it should as York U wants all buses (except perhaps the 106 and 41) off its property, which of course is kinda dumb. There will be a long stretch form Dufferin and Sheppard to Keele and Finch where there will be no riders (yes, I know Sheppard West, but it will compete with Ellesmere for the lowest ridership). Downsview pulls in a decent ridership, and will continue to with a lot of buses still running there - 84, 106, 107, 108, 117, and an urbanizing area.

I'm pretty sure other routes will need to stay at YorkU

i.e. the 60 (Steeles West), 35 (Jane), 41 (Keele), 106 (possibily).

Which is most if not pretty much everything that currently exists ;)

Unless you know something they're planning with the 60/35/41 ?

I'm pretty sure other routes will need to stay at YorkU

i.e. the 60 (Steeles West), 35 (Jane), 41 (Keele), 106 (possibily).

Which is most if not pretty much everything that currently exists ;)

Unless you know something they're planning with the 60/35/41 ?

The only one I can see staying is 106.

35E is the only branch that goes into York U, and it's likely all Jane buses will terminate at Steeles West. 41 will serve Finch West station so people heading into the University would transfer there, and the same with 60 at Steeles West.

If I was heading to the university, I'd stay on the 41 and not bother going down two flights of stairs, waiting for the subway, and then riding that one station. I'll stay on the bus, thank you very much - it would be much faster. As I would expect YRT to take over its service on Keele, there would still have to be surface service on Keele to Steeles - the 41 would do this, and probably still loop though York with the 106.

My scenario assumes that 41 does not go into York U anymore and loops at Steeles West Station.

Back