Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Considering how behind schedule the project is, that's not really impressive - but the stations themselves, as overbuilt some of them maybe...wow.

AoD

Overbuilt is correct. Doubt that any of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT stations, especially in the downtown area, would have that Palace of Versailles look that the Spadina Extension suburban stations get.

Overbuilt is correct. Doubt that any of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT stations, especially in the downtown area, would have that Palace of Versailles look that the Spadina Extension suburban stations get.

Stations that will/are foreseen to have high traffic, sure, I think a case can be made for going Versailles - but Highway 7? Seriously?

AoD

Brad's Reply: "Appreciate the perspective. We do need to land on a date and time to begin that transition. Not there yet, tho"

Sounds like they do plan to do it in advance of opening Downsview Park, just they're not sure exactly when. Maybe I'm reading that optimistically, but I'd hope even to the TTC this is common sense.

Overbuilt? Looks like pretty standard floor and wall finishes.

Stations that will/are foreseen to have high traffic, sure, I think a case can be made for going Versailles - but Highway 7? Seriously?

AoD

The point is moot. The stations are almost complete, and people are going to enjoy using them. The main takeaway is to build attractive and unique stations everywhere you want people to use transit. Inevitably, planners will look at costs. They can decide to build smaller stations or build surface-level stations. They can have lower budgets, but they should remember that the look of stations affect how people perceive the experience of taking transit.

Well due to space constraints, ECLRT stations couldn't be "overbuilt" (big?) like this if they tried.

The interior of the TYSSE stations appear fairly standard. I'd expect the ECLRT to be similar.

Simple box stations can be interesting if each station has unique and attractive finishes like terracotta, precast concrete, lacquered wood, stone and brick, for instance. Each station could have some unique architectural features like uniquely-shaped columns, different styles of lighting and different types of art. It can all go in the basic low-cost box structure.

The main takeaway is to build attractive and unique stations everywhere you want people to use transit.

Not to say aesthetics isn't important, but I think the experience with original Yonge/BD, as well as the subsequent experience with the Spadina-Yorkdale extension disproves your thesis - people want to use transit because it is sited at advantageous locations, not because a station is attractive and unique per se. Besides, do we really need say double height platform levels at all the stations? Or overbuilt bus terminals?

AoD

Considering how behind we are in transit in Toronto, the immense debt of Ontario, I think grandiose stations should be the least of our worries right now.

Especially when this line strains credibility for its existence in the first place, it was a pet project of Sorbara plain and simple.

Back