Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

There doesn't seem to be any sign that construction is safer in Canada. There are more "safety procedures", but did it actually led to higher safety?
Those falling glass from Shangrila or Trump indicate quality isn't superior either.

We are sort of in agreement. I don't believe that more safety procedures necessarily lead to greater safety. Sometimes it does, but not always. However, I do believe that it affects productivity.

Your example is also hilarious, considering the glass from both Shangri-La and Trump was supplied from China, from a supplier based out of Hong Kong.

On the topic of construction times I like to bring up Warsaw, Poland for a first world comparison with first world safety standards. (East Asia isn't a good comparison for obvious reasons)

Line 2 of the Warsaw Metro (of similar scale and size to the DRL) started construction in August 2010, planned for completion in time for the EURO2012 tournament, but was delayed two years and is set to open in November 16, 2014.

There really is no excuse why a subway to nowhere has to take so long to construct in Toronto.

Does this prolonged construction have anything to do with the architectural complexity of these stations? Perhaps if they were simpler, smaller, and less whimsical this extension could be more of a straightforward and speedier undertaking.

Except one worker died during construction of Spadina extension yet no one died from building the Bangkok blue line.
With the government censorship and low level of press freedom in Thailand, you may be able to accept as an irrefutable fact that no one died there, but I can't.

Does this prolonged construction have anything to do with the architectural complexity of these stations? Perhaps if they were simpler, smaller, and less whimsical this extension could be more of a straightforward and speedier undertaking.

The stations will be unique but not particularly complex. The simple concrete shells haven't even been poured yet for a couple of stations, and it's almost 2015.

I get a good laugh every time I read comments that this is a subway to nowhere. It just shows the ignorance of the poster(s) in question and devalues their opinion on this topic.

Sure this line isn't being built in Manhattan but it also isn't being built under farmer's fields like some in this thread want others to believe.

Last edited:
Sure this line isn't being built in Manhattan but it also isn't being built under farmer's fields like some in this thread want others to believe.
Well, other than the piece that IS being built under a farmer's field!

In Google maps https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=43.781691,-79.520931&spn=0.01859,0.037551&t=h&z=15 the land on the west side of Jane, south of 407 was still farmed when construction on the line began. That's the 407 Transitway station.

That being said, I really don't have any objections to the line. Traffic in that area is dreadful. I think there's decent enough demand to York. Once you are at Steeles, I'm not really opposed to pushing the line just over the 407, because of all the traffic congestion you get anytime all the roads get bottlenecked crossing a 400-series highway.

I get a good laugh every time I read comments that this is a subway to nowhere. It just shows the ignorance of the poster(s) in question and devalues their opinion on this topic.

What? I suggest taking a look on google maps. The entire Spadina extension route is incredibly low-density, some of it even actually is farmers field.

The strength of this extension comes from connecting bus routes.

Agreed. The section up to York University alone is worth it to service the huge ridership at the university. Ever stand in line for the 196 during peak times? And it's not like Wilson or Downsview station have huge densities around them either, but they are fairly well used stations.

I wouldn't call York University incredibly low-density.

At the other stations, yes. Though there is some long-term potential at Vaughan Centre.

It's a trip generator for sure, but I'm not sure if I would call York University very dense. It's roughly the size of Bloor to Dundas and University to Jarvis.

It's a trip generator for sure, but I'm not sure if I would call York University very dense. It's roughly the size of Bloor to Dundas and University to Jarvis.

But most of the buildings are clustered around the centre of campus, so the part near the station is denser than the campus as a whole. The density within a 5 minute walk is pretty decent, the outlying parts of campus that are more like a 10 minute walk are less dense, yes.

What? I suggest taking a look on google maps. The entire Spadina extension route is incredibly low-density, some of it even actually is farmers field.

The strength of this extension comes from connecting bus routes.

I'm familiar with the area.

Just because a small portion is on farmer's fields doesn't make it a subway to nowhere like some are acting it is. Besides the point is for future development in the area as well.

Jane + Hwy. 7 is an incredibly busy intersection. So is the 400 and Hwy. 7.

And the value of a subway to York U. is without question.

I actually think they made a mistake by not extending it to Vaughan Mills and/or Wonderland. I guess that could happen in the future once all the other important projects are dealt with.

I wouldn't call it very dense either. But that doesn't mean I'd call it incredibly low-density!

I actually think they made a mistake by not extending it to Vaughan Mills and/or Wonderland. I guess that could happen in the future once all the other important projects are dealt with.
The ridership north of 7 makes it difficult to justify LRT, let alone subway! I'd think that York would sooner spend their money on Yonge, or other projects. Maybe in another half-century.

I'm familiar with the area.

Just because a small portion is on farmer's fields doesn't make it a subway to nowhere like some are acting it is. Besides the point is for future development in the area as well.

Jane + Hwy. 7 is an incredibly busy intersection. So is the 400 and Hwy. 7.

And the value of a subway to York U. is without question.

Jane and Hwy 7 is as close to nothing as you can get.

And I considerably doubt that Vaughan Metropolitan Centre will be some hustle bustle downtown-style CBD. History tells us it’s not going to happen. Etobicoke City Centre, North York City Centre, Scarborough Town Centre...all were supposed to be thronging mixed-used business districts with expected employment and residential density well above what exists today. It’s well known that they didn’t meet expectations, but at least they were built within or near areas of pre-existing neighbourhoods complete with sidewalks for those opting a non-autocentric transportation mode. The area around VMC and 407 stations is surrounded by miles of anything but. The subway should be open by next year, yet UT shows me there are currently only three development projects planned or u/c near VMC. That doesn’t sound like a “metropolitan centre”, particularly one worthy of the costliest of all transit modes: deep underground high frequency heavy rail.

The quadrant from Weston to Dufferin and Rutherford to Steeles is almost 40 square km of industrial and commercial warehouses. It’s unprecedented for Toronto’s rapid transit system to be extended into such an area, and is nothing like the small strip of factories and yards surrounding the SRT in Scarborough.

Back