Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

On the intensification side of things, Plaza Corp has now placed its hat in the ring by announcing a new highrise development they're calling "The Met" on the east side of Jane Street just north of Hwy 7. I know of no details as of yet, but if any of you do, and you want to say anything about it, I created this thread today: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/20126-The-Met-Hwy7-and-Jane-Vaughan-Plaza-Corp

This is going to be on property immediately east of the 4 (or 5) towers of the Expo City condo project, separated by Black Creek.

Depends where in the Suburbs.. Thornhill?? not really. Some parts of Brampton, or many parts of Toronto suburbs? absolutely. there are still plenty of poor in the city, but they mostly live in subsidized housing because of real estate prices. If you can't get subsidized housing, you live in a crumbling apartment tower in the suburbs, such as Jane & Finch or Dixon road.

Ya and what about the rest of the suburbs and that suburban dream - large home. Now we are expected to believe the people that live in the suburbs that buy these large homes are poorer and that transit cannot be based on distance like most modes of transportation and many parts of the world

Last edited:
Ya and what about the rest of the suburbs and that suburban dream - large home. Now we are expected to believe the people that live in the suburbs that buy these large homes are poorer and that transit cannot be based on distance like most modes of transportation and many parts of the world

Most people living in McMansions obviously aren't poor. But if you look at the income distribution in Toronto (or any other major city), you'll see that the lower density inner suburbs are generally poorer than the higher density areas.

Most people living in McMansions obviously aren't poor. But if you look at the income distribution in Toronto (or any other major city), you'll see that the lower density inner suburbs are generally poorer than the higher density areas.

But if you extend that to the 905 as well, then the opposite becomes true: The outer suburbs have a much higher average income than both downtown and the inner suburbs.

I wouldn't be surprised if downtown, as long as you include rosedale, has a higher average income than places like Markham. But yes, York Region is extremely wealthy. Most of the Cities poor live in the City of Toronto, in the inner suburbs. Mind you most of the most wealthy live in Toronto as well. (or Oakville)

The poorer parts of the suburban areas of the city are usually higher density. That's because high-density apartment suburbia is the least desirable built form: lacking the stimulating vitality, walkability and amenities of traditional, downtown-style areas and also lacking the big-house-and-car lifestyle of suburbia. There is no real correlation between density and income in Toronto. Incomes are high in all the high-density neighbourhoods all along Yonge Street, but also in Forest Hill, which has low density. Incomes are high in North York's suburban areas like Bayview, but also in North York Centre.

Just going back to the design of the actual station, Im disappointed by the choice to use plain boring concrete on all of the trainway walls on each station. Why couldn't the TTC continue the tradition and use unique tiles or other materials on these walls? As a frequent subway rider, I think its interesting to see the unique colour and design schemes in each station as my train passes by. I didn't like the plain concrete wall treatment they opted for on the Sheppard Line either. I know tiles can get dirty but there are so many other exciting materials that can be applied to each station instead of boring concrete walls. Maybe I'm just nostalgic :confused:

If the TTC is going with bare concrete interior walls like on the Sheppard line--not artistically cast like Montreal Metro stations in patterns--then they're still failing at design even upon hiring the world's greatest architects. That's just not acceptable.

Slightly off topic, but didn't some politicians in York Region want the way to Canada's Wonderland or further afield? Wouldn't this be similar to the old Exhibition lines on the London Underground, which were used for special events? I can't see a year-round Wonderland stop being busy, unless due to global warming it becomes an all year park like Knott's Berry Farm in Los Angeles.

Slightly off topic, but didn't some politicians in York Region want the way to Canada's Wonderland or further afield? Wouldn't this be similar to the old Exhibition lines on the London Underground, which were used for special events? I can't see a year-round Wonderland stop being busy, unless due to global warming it becomes an all year park like Knott's Berry Farm in Los Angeles.

Some politicians did, but I don't think it makes much sense at all. However, if the subway had stopped at say York U, and YR built an LRT or a BRT up Jane, then yes connecting that to Wonderland would have made a lot of sense.

Even now though, YRT can run a shuttle during the summer months than runs express from VMC to Wonderland and vice versa. They would make a killing on that, because it's a relatively short trip for full fare, and it's busiest off-peak and on weekends, when YRT doesn't need as many buses on other routes, so there's resources available.

The new stations are not going to be using bare concrete walls.. some stations look like it will be marble. The only one that appears that will use concrete walls is Finch West, and that seems like more of a design choice than a cost cutting measure. The stations on this line will be the nicest in the entire subway system, have no worries about that.

also Vaughan asked Metrolinx to stick a subway extension to Major Mackenzie in the big move when they were reviewing it a few years ago, and Metrolinx shot it down immediately for the poor idea that it was.

Back