Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Maybe this warrants its own thread but...

If the TTC plans to charge their fare for the york region section. This will be a total disaster!

As someone who lives very close to the new terminus @ 7 & Weston, the last thing anybody wants is everybody from everywhere driving to the subway station because its obviously more economical than paying an extra fare for viva/yrt.

Secondly, viva buses will go straight along hwy 7 so that means students that currently pay a single fare to york university will pay a whole new fare to travel from hwy 7 to york university?

Local routes like yrt 10 and 20 and many others will drop off people at the new station instead of going to york. What a disaster that is!

Will all these buses continue down to york u just to avoid the extra fare for a small distance? If so...then this subway extension will be so empty that u wud be better of just turning the tunnels into an underground cycle path!

The single biggest reason why transit share in 905 is low is because of the unjust double fare that people must pay. Its cheaper to drive the extra bit (for example I live at hwy 7, one concession north of steeles...yet I must pay a whole new fare...)

Do people think that all transit usage ends at Steeles? No. But unfortunately the reality for many of us 905ers is that we have to get a ride to drive to this "berlin wall" so that we can economically commute.

If this subway extension opens the way planned, we will just exacerbate the problem ten fold! If just fare rules changed, I believe transit in 905 would grow OVERNIGHT!

If the TTC plans to charge their fare for the york region section. This will be a total disaster!

As someone who lives very close to the new terminus @ 7 & Weston, the last thing anybody wants is everybody from everywhere driving to the subway station because its obviously more economical than paying an extra fare for viva/yrt.

Secondly, viva buses will go straight along hwy 7 so that means students that currently pay a single fare to york university will pay a whole new fare to travel from hwy 7 to york university?

Local routes like yrt 10 and 20 and many others will drop off people at the new station instead of going to york. What a disaster that is!

Will all these buses continue down to york u just to avoid the extra fare for a small distance? If so...then this subway extension will be so empty that u wud be better of just turning the tunnels into an underground cycle path!

The single biggest reason why transit share in 905 is low is because of the unjust double fare that people must pay. Its cheaper to drive the extra bit (for example I live at hwy 7, one concession north of steeles...yet I must pay a whole new fare...)

Do people think that all transit usage ends at Steeles? No. But unfortunately the reality for many of us 905ers is that we have to get a ride to drive to this "berlin wall" so that we can economically commute.

If this subway extension opens the way planned, we will just exacerbate the problem ten fold! If just fare rules changed, I believe transit in 905 would grow OVERNIGHT!
York University said it wants ZERO buses when the subway opens, not YRT, VIVA, GO , or TTC's decision, but YORK UNIVERSITY The only operating buses in the campus will be their own buses

York University said it wants ZERO buses when the subway opens, not YRT, VIVA, GO , or TTC's decision, but YORK UNIVERSITY The only operating buses in the campus will be their own buses

What bullcrap on the part of York. UofT has buses and probably every other university in the country has buses on their campuses. UBC is a better school with a much, much nicer campus and that place is crawling with buses. Buses go there because people want to go there. This is just some misplaced snobbery on the part of York, influenced by the clusterf**k of buses that admittedly they have had to deal with for years now.

"We will allow private vehicles but no public buses" is a terrible, elitist policy that they need to be taken to account for.

I agree with CDL.TO. York's decision is completely stupid, and will actually hurt the university itself as well as transit in the area by inconveniencing commuting students (of which there are a lot at York).

I can sort of see where they're coming from though, the central area is a little awkward to get to because of the number of buses. However, when the subway opens, the two most frequent routes (196 and 60C) will immediately disappear, which should clear up the area considerably.

It looks like the only solution is to introduce an intelligent fare system (be it Presto or credit card-based), and let riders travel on the subway between the northern stations and York U for a small surcharge (like 50c or 70c) to their YRT fare.

Otherwise, TTC will just lose most of those riders (they will drive).

I guess York should have thought about this before they began pushing for the extension right? It's unfortunate but barring fare integreation brought (forced) on by Metrolinx, there will always be a double fare at Steeles. York doesn't want any busses on it's grounds and so students will be sol.

The fare issue can be easily resolved with presto card. The new stations should all have readers and yrt and go will be using presto.All that's required is to make people tap out if crossing the Steeles boundary and be charged a discounted fare. It can be easily done. It just needs some political will to push it through.

Using presto as the method, I am thinking the best method would be...

Rider hops on a viva/yrt/zum service then transfers onto subway station at vaughan corporate centre. When they tap on the card reader, it would deduct the TTC fare but...

If they get off at either 407 station, steeles west, or york u...then they tap off and that fare is refunded to them.

If they go any further south, then its a normal ttc fare anyway.

Now the question is, how would this work when a commuter is going back north?

I'm just dreaming but imagine there was a technology where there's a electronic barrier just south of york u...so when the train travels through the tunnel...everyones card is "autotapped" like a 407 transponder... That wud be cool!

Rider hops on a viva/yrt/zum service then transfers onto subway station at vaughan corporate centre. When they tap on the card reader, it would deduct the TTC fare but...

If they get off at either 407 station, steeles west, or york u...then they tap off and that fare is refunded to them.

I'm just dreaming but imagine there was a technology where there's a electronic barrier just south of york u...so when the train travels through the tunnel...everyones card is "autotapped" like a 407 transponder... That wud be cool!

You won't be paying extra fare north of Steeles on the subway, since one of the post in the previous pages said that TTC will let you off without extra fare, but the YRT VIVA GO and possibly TTC bus terminals will be outside of the fare paid area

Why not. You know I can picture a system where the transit vehicles (subway trains) carry transponders and are moving fare paid areas. As the train passes Steeles west station it passes a transponder which reads the passengers on board the train and adds the fare to those accounts.

Extend that to where buses enter fare paid areas of a station, pass off the passenger data to the station which is then transferred to the train, or bus, when the passenger boards again. Might be a bit clumsy I guess.

Tap in, tap out, it works all over the world with contact cards and more basic mediums. As for banning buses from York, it is their land, they could lock done their internal roads presumably if they really wanted. It might not be the best deal for York students that live further away on Viva but I am sure York region is glad to be rid of the connector service. Saves operating costs while maintain fare revenue.

It isn't always about users, system planners have other responsibilities too.

Am I missing something or is the York issue simply that the existing bus terminal is being relocated from the centre of the campus to the north end (Steeles West Station)? Unless York is saying something I've missed they aren't banning busses from the campus, York U will still have one of the City's biggest bus terminals at the edge of campus. The new location is much better for York than the old (in my opinion).

These extravagant TYSSE subway stations make it hard to be a subway supporter. I mean, they all look amazing. But they're all so overbuilt they make the Sheppard line look way underbuilt by comparison. Frankly it boggles my mind that we're spending so much money on these subway stations.

Nothing wrong with a bit of extravagance where it makes sense - York U is one station where spending more can easily be justified. But for a stop in the middle of nowhere with no potential for intensification? Not so much.

AoD

Back