Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...upplementary_Reports/Toronto_York_Spadina.pdf

Here is what TTC is proposing:

[1] Rename current Downsview Station to "SHEPPARD WEST"

[2] Rename future Sheppard West Station to "DOWNSVIEW PARK"

[3] Use "VAUGHAN CENTRE" versus Vaughan Metropolitan Centre

This was already discussed. I already modified the Wikipedia entries to reflect this. (Though I left Downsview and Sheppard West as is until they actually change because it would be confusing to change Downsview to Sheppard West right now).

This was already discussed. I already modified the Wikipedia entries to reflect this. (Though I left Downsview and Sheppard West as is until they actually change because it would be confusing to change Downsview to Sheppard West right now).
Given that the motion didn't pass, it would be premature to change anything other than referring to the proposal.

Which is a valid abstract argument. But in reality, we certainly aren't scaring people off from living by the waterfront or right next to a rail line or expressway and those areas certainly aren't sinking into an economic hole.

As a previous poster mentioned, spending those billions on a DRL instead of tunneling the Gardiner and rail line (whether it is $2 billion or many times more) makes more economic and logical sense.

I wasn't prioritizing these tunnelling projects. I was simply defending their merits in building a great city, which you probably realized but I like to keep things clear. Condo units right beside highways can be sold to investors for rental to people who don't play to live there for long, which doesn't sound very viable in the long run as the buildings age and maintenance increases. Parkdale hasn't done too well, though I'm sure those apartment buildings on Jameson when new suggested that everything was going to turn out fine. That's hypothetical though.

If the reality is the above mentioned tunnelling projects shouldn't take precedence over spending money on important subway lines, why has it is taken so long to build them? Bill Davis said that we should focus on building rapid transit when he cancelled funding for completing the Spadina Expressway, and the track record since 1978 hasn't been particularly impressive.

If the reality is the above mentioned tunnelling projects shouldn't take precedence over spending money on important subway lines, why has it is taken so long to build them? Bill Davis said that we should focus on building rapid transit when he cancelled funding for completing the Spadina Expressway, and the track record since 1978 hasn't been particularly impressive.

Now that's a more political question than one looking at the merits of tunneling roads and/or subways for which there could be a multitude of reasons, including:
- build time of these projects are well beyond the electoral cycle and so of little political benefit to politicians versus the huge amounts they'd be committing to spending (and taxing);
- a disconnect with politicians who don't understand transit and don't see the thousands who make use of it as voters, or at least voters of equal standing to those who drive;
- a basic fear of wanting to get involved in huge infrastructure projects that are likely to be slagged by some as 'boondoggles'.

Who knows why?

So if the Sheppard Line ever gets extended west does "Sheppard West" change to "Sheppard West Dufferin", or "Sheppard West Allen" perhaps.

So if the Sheppard Line ever gets extended west does "Sheppard West" change to "Sheppard West Dufferin", or "Sheppard West Allen" perhaps.

They could continue calling it Sheppard West for the Spadina line and call the Sheppard line station Dufferin as you suggested -- Sheppard West-Dufferin. Makes sense.

if that extension does ever happen, the station should be just simply called allen rd

Bids are in for the first of the two tunnel contracts. They seem to be fairly low:

AECON BUILDINGS $279,078,688.00
DRAGADOS CANADA INC. $294,750,000.00
OHL/BIRD JV $311,862,300.00
STRABAG $417,742,002.00
TORONTO SPADINA CONSTRUCTORS $283,322,008.00

Looks like a Canadian company will get it too, good news.

With the extension, will they be decommissioning any of the parking lots at Wilson and Downsview? Since there will be parking lots available further north, having parking lots at Wilson may not be needed as much. I think they could cut the number in half.

With the extension, will they be decommissioning any of the parking lots at Wilson and Downsview? Since there will be parking lots available further north, having parking lots at Wilson may not be needed as much. I think they could cut the number in half.

I hope not. The more parking lots the better.

I'd bet that the 2 secondary lots on the south side of Wilson would certainly be closed. For Downsview I think that the lot will remain for some time until the Downsview Park and area begins to be redeveloped, and even then it may just be cut back. I can see the possibility that the lot is eventually closed and the grass area that is surrounded by the access road becom the new, reduced capacity, lot.

the lots at Wilson should remain, since they are adjacent to the 401 interchange with Allen Rd. Although I could see the potential in developing a narrow band of the lots directly on Wilson. There's a strange urban quality to Wilson through that area, except of course the gap between Wilson Heights blvd and Dufferin, part of which is occupied by the TTC parking lots and bus terminal.

Back