Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I fear the LCD display will be another Arc en Ciel. I hope not, but this is the TTC we're talking about. York U station looks really good otherwise.

VCC looks pretty sick, but I wonder. With such a grand vision for the station and the area why isn't there a plan for secondary exits at the north and south end of the station. Particularly at the south end since that would remove the need for pedestrians to cross hwy 7.

The kids in Woodbridge won't hang out there unless provision is made to park their Civics in the mezzanine.

Sheppard West is also a GO Station. So there could be sudden large numbers of people entering the station. 11 doesn't sound unreasonable; I'd think Finch West wouldn't need as many.

Hopefully by the time these stations are finished, we won't have to pay a separate fare to get on the subway after riding a train on the GO line.

These stations, if a little overbuilt, are certainly very impressive and exciting. I can't wait for this project to be finished!

They did cut back a bit on the design for the York University Station beyond reducing the size of the entrance canopy - the original 30% proposal have 4 skylights for the platform level which has since been eliminated. Not that big a deal, though it would have been a nice touch.

AoD

Just a few questions about the cost of tunneling for the TYSSE:

What is the expected cost of tunneling per 100 meters (or kilometer), and is that in 2010 dollars? I've often read about the average cost per 100 meters or per kilometer, but I don't know if that included tunnels, all stations, and all other infrastructure or not.

Given that it is twinned tunneled, does that mean the cost of tunneling is based on 8.6 kilometers or 17.2 kilometers (2 tunnels x 8.6 kilometers)?

Given that the stations are typically done using the cut and cover method, does this mean that tunneling is completed first and then station boxes are cut and covered around certain segments of the tunnel?

The figure thrown around the last few years has been about $300 M per kilometer - but seeing as there hasn't been any subway tunnelling done in Ontario in the last 10 years, and how much site conditions can affect cost, I think we will have to wait til bids come in the next few months. That cost is for the length of the route, not the length of each tunnel.

There's a map of the tunnel drives on the last page of this document. Looks like some stations are going to be tunnelled through and then the station box will be excavated, and others will be pure cut and cover.
But I'm not a tunnel engineer so I could be wrong.

The figure thrown around the last few years has been about $300 M per kilometer - but seeing as there hasn't been any subway tunnelling done in Ontario in the last 10 years, and how much site conditions can affect cost, I think we will have to wait til bids come in the next few months. That cost is for the length of the route, not the length of each tunnel.
And that includes design, stations, vehicles, track, electrical, signalling, yard upgrades, property aquisition, planning, etc. (something to keep in mind on yet another reason Montreal's extension was cheaper ... they had so many extra trains already, they didn't buy any new ones ... while we are buying 10 new trains for $130 million in 2013 for the Spadina extension).

You'd have to look at the actual bids for the tunelling to get the cost just for just the tunnel itself. I think the first contract is for 2.8 km of bored twin tunnels for which bids are due at the end of September.

Oh, and to respond to some of the earlier comments--take a trip to Europe and you will see that there is no correlation between scale and attractiveness. You can build stations without massive mezzanines and complex underground fare collection areas and still have them be very attractive and well-designed.

Thanks, I'll watch out for the bids.

Have to remember that the bids aren't full cost either, they aren't all in like similar projects in other cities are, only sub contracts. I don't know of many agencies in the world that would buy the boring machines separately from the tunneling contract - what if one firm thought it could do it much cheaper using a different machine? The city misses out on potential efficiencies all over the place using their piecemeal contracting approach.

Have to remember that the bids aren't full cost either, they aren't all in like similar projects in other cities are, only sub contracts. I don't know of many agencies in the world that would buy the boring machines separately from the tunneling contract - what if one firm thought it could do it much cheaper using a different machine? The city misses out on potential efficiencies all over the place using their piecemeal contracting approach.

It could be politically motivated - LOVAT is based in Toronto so they might have wanted to guarantee they would build the TBMs.

Back