Toronto South Beach Condos + Lofts | ?m | 27s | Amexon | Arsenault

There's a construction trailer parked on South Beach property... Could this be a sign of construction starting soon or is builder moving in? :)

from today's Star....1.) construction to start in August....2.) looks like the 1st tower has been increased to 31 storeys!....

ETOBICOKE
Waterfront living with all the amenities
Limited-time incentives include suite discount, free parking and locker
June 20, 2009

Comments on this story (0)

Shelly Sanders Greer

SPECIAL TO THE STAR

Construction of the first phase of South Beach Condos + Lofts begins in August, which gives purchasers about two months to take advantage of sales incentives valued up to $43,000 at the Etobicoke site.

"Right now we're including parking, a locker and pre-construction prices," says Jason Shiff, executive sales manager, South Beach Condos + Lofts, located at Park Lawn Rd. and Lake Shore Blvd.. "Prices will go up when construction begins.

"The limited-time incentives include $10,000 to $20,000 off the purchase price, depending on the suite chosen, free parking valued at $20,000, and a free locker worth $3,000. It's a very aggressive incentives package."

South Beach Condos + Lofts, being built by Amexon Development Group, is about 80 per cent sold and Shiff says the pricing, size range, and amenities are big attractions. In addition to the typical young professionals and empty nesters, there are many families choosing South Beach because of the three-bedroom and den layout and the 40,000 square feet of amenities – the Shore Club.

"Nothing has been done like this before," says Shiff. "There will be an indoor/outdoor pool with cabanas, a basketball court, a squash court, a pet day care, a juice bar, and a very unique wine tasting lounge. There will even be a place for people to store their wine."

Other amenities include a Hollywood-style screening room, library, event lounge with kitchen, party room, and concierge service.

Located two minutes by foot from the lake, South Beach will offer waterfront living. Shiff says both buildings will be built on angles so that pretty well every unit will have a view of the water. In addition, there will be floor-to-ceiling windows.

The 31-storey art deco-style glass and steel tower will be topped with crowns in green and blue with reflective solar panels. It will be anchored by a 16,000 square foot retail complex designed to emulate Miami's Ocean Drive.

"This retail complex will be located at the entrance to both phases," Shiff says. "There will be a gourmet restaurant, cafè and spa which will definitely add so much to the area."

The first phase will contain approximately 313 units ranging from 454 square foot one-bedroom layouts, up to 2,000 square foot penthouses with three bedrooms and a den. Prices start at $188,000 and go to just under $1 million. Maintenance fees are 38 cents a square foot, and occupancy is expected in the summer of 2011.

"There will be six penthouses on the 31st floor," Shiff says, "and they will be very exclusive with 10 foot ceilings and electric fireplaces. These will be three-bedroom and den layouts and they are already getting a lot of attention."

The standard finishings, says Shiff, are one of the biggest benefits at South Beach, as they are high-end and often considered as upgrades elsewhere. Examples include marble or granite kitchen counters, Energy Star-rated stainless steel appliances, nine-foot ceilings, custom kitchen cabinetry, engineered hardwood floors, and walk-in closets.

To get a first-hand look at the layouts and finishings, visit the 13,000-square-foot presentation gallery which has three model suites. There is a one-bedroom layout, and two corner units available for viewing.

This sales gallery is at 88 Park Lawn Rd. For hours and information, call 416-252-3000 or visit southbeachtoronto.com.

Thanks for catching that yyzer. I've checked at toronto.ca, and there's no record there that I can find for how tall this development will be: no record of zoning applications at all. South Beach's website still shows two 28 storey towers in the renderings, but I don't think that's anything that they would update. If anyone can corroborate an increase to 31 storeys for one or both of the towers, I would appreciate it! (Maybe a simple phone call to the sales office will suffice...)

How many times do these advertorials actually have these figures wrong...or right? For planning information, the correct address would help. It's 60-80 Park Lawn. And by doing a search under the city's development projects, you will find this:

Site Plan Approval 07 227549 WET 06 SA -- 60-80 PARK LAWN RD -- Jun 4, 2007 -- Revisions Submitted Jan 29, 2008 -- Ward-06 -- West-District -- McCart, Michael (416) 394-8228

Proposal for a mixed-use commercial / residential tower with 3 levels of underground parking and 27 above-grade levels, plus mechanical floor.

This is the latest given. I've also check to see if there were any minor variance applications that would have gone to the Committee of Adjustment since the beginning of the year, and nothing for this property. So unless there was a minor variance application that went to the Committee last year or is yet to be heard this year, I would say the 31 storeys includes the 27 above grade levels, mechanical floor and 3 underground parking levels.

o.k., I called the sales office just now, the rep advised me that both buildings will be 31 above-grade storeys....penthouses will be on floors 29-31.....

picture of the trailer at SB site i mentioned in my last post...

picture.php

I'd rather rely on the site plan application than the sales office especially when 31 minus the 4th, 13th, 14th, 24th equals 27.

I also wonder how they expect to start construction in August when the permit applications aren't even posted on the city's website.

o.k., I called the sales office just now, the rep advised me that both buildings will be 31 above-grade storeys....penthouses will be on floors 29-31.....

As far as I know both buildings are to have 27 floors OR 31 LEVELS... now that penthouse suites are released they might have added a few floors but I doubt that...

BUT than again with mechanical floors and sun panels on top of both buildings they may reach 31 storeys in height... :)

I wonder if its only 31 floors because it is 27 storeys (skipping 4, 13, 14, 24) ... hence = 31 municipal floor / 27 legal floors

we all know how knowlegable / accurate sales people can be :D

These guys have been aggressively marketing lately - high profile ads in the papers, and lot of signs on street corners sprinkled throughout Etobicoke.

just a little update on this project... seems like they are seriously prepping for august ground breaking...

picture.php

picture.php

%70 sold on the luxury units...I heard they are indeed ready to dig but sales of the lower units arent that great.

yeah well who can blame 'em... nobody likes lower level units... the only plus here is that you get higher ceilings in units below 10th floor...

i heard that with over 80% sold of released units they are pretty much getting ready to start selling some units in the second tower (or at least try in this harsh economy)...

Last edited:
I would throw the thought out there that this project is desperate, considering the notion that they've spent an excessive amount of money on advertising, a huge sales centre, and more aggressive a-frames in the area.

I heard from a contact at their construction company that all this activity on-site is just a marketing tactic and they have not yet gotten the go ahead for construction.

Try to buy a suite in this development and notice that the process is shady, from them saying that something is 'sold out' but there is actually a unit that just came back ready for sale, to amendments to the agreement to protect the buyer that are not accepted by the builder.

I'm surprised that they get away with advertising the starting price at $188,900, when they haven't had anything at that price available for months!

A small rant that I'm sure will materialize in the near future!

Back