Toronto Smart House | 82.6m | 25s | Urban Capital | a—A

I love the concept of Smart House, despite many who are incredulous at the tiny foot-print they offer. I just want to know that the parties involved are solid before I bite.

So, while trying to find out more about Urban Capital, AA, and Malibu, I stumbled upon this forum. And I know that you folks are far more up-to-date (and willing to be frank) on the companies involved in this project. So far, I've turned up zero dirt. My google-fu is good, but I am a little skeptical on not finding more when searching these companies with "problems" or "issues" or "glass" ...

Anyone willing to share their thoughts about these guys (or share further on the project, though I get the sense from the thread that this is a decent build for the area)?

Aa always delivers a good looking product, not sure about quality. good details and what appears to be high quality materials usually means it is high quality though. Remember that an Aa project (Murano) is the one with the headlining falling glass problems last summer. No Idea on Urbancorp and Malibu though.

jen - it would be better for you to read (and participate in) our the threads in the Real Estate Individual Projects Forum section on condos that UrbanCapital and Malibu have built to see what the residents of those buildings have to say.

I love the concept of Smart House, despite many who are incredulous at the tiny foot-print they offer. I just want to know that the parties involved are solid before I bite.

So, while trying to find out more about Urban Capital, AA, and Malibu, I stumbled upon this forum. And I know that you folks are far more up-to-date (and willing to be frank) on the companies involved in this project. So far, I've turned up zero dirt. My google-fu is good, but I am a little skeptical on not finding more when searching these companies with "problems" or "issues" or "glass" ...

Anyone willing to share their thoughts about these guys (or share further on the project, though I get the sense from the thread that this is a decent build for the area)?

It's really difficult to find feedback on builders IMO. You have come to the right place. As suggested, look at Malibu and Urban Capital's portfolio and then find real estate threads on those projects on here. You should find some more information. Haven't really heard any horror stories about either of these guys but have heard the odd thing (which is normal). I figure they're decent. Deff not flat out BAD like urbancorp IMO.

Urban Capital has a knack for picking great architects, but not construction companies. It is hard to get dirt on developers because often the residents are scared to speak up that they bought a dud. While Urban Toronto members don't really care about all the deficiencies inside individual units, they care about the exterior elements and architecture as well as common areas and amenities. So please go to the developer's under construction project River City and check out the common areas for yourself. There's often open houses here to do so. To residents it's called River Sh!tty because the developer just seems like they've given up on making anything nice; like fix all the scuff marks everywhere!!! Another can of paint would help!!! We joke to fellow residents that our former 50 year old rental apts looked nicer and actually were cleaned.

Anyone know about sales ? This one will have a lot of street level impact, more so then most ... just given how prominent this area is and how prominent the silly parking lot was.

I remember this! It was like a John Grisham novel. City Council doesn't get anymore exciting.

Back