News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Toronto skyline

In what planet is Eglinton/Leslie or Lawrence/Leslie in downtown?
in the planet where a single transit fare takes you to steeles avenue :D

ask someone who commutes downtown from newmarket, oshawa, or burlington whether eglinton and leslie is downtown

i guess it's all a matter of perspective, eh

:)

Last edited:
The thing about Toronto is that instead of a city with one or a few big parks (New York, Vancouver, Chicago, London), it's a city of smaller parkettes and ravines. There is a lot of greenspace in fair distance from the downtown (what about Trinity Bellwoods? West Donlands?), it's just not all formed into one big park like Central, Stanley, Millennium, Hyde or Regent's Park, but spread out in the ravines of the Don Valley, Toronto Islands, Rosedale Valley, Leslie Spit, Humber Valley, etc.. It's hard to realize that these are actually very similar in size if not bigger than these large centralized parks in other cities, you just wouldn't know because they aren't all focused into one area in the centre of the city like the others are.

Toronto is a much more green city than it gives itself credit for.

Last edited:
I'd say Queens Park is a pretty big park when it comes to Downtown's. my problem is that there isn't really a lot to do there :(

I'd say Queens Park is a pretty big park when it comes to Downtown's. my problem is that there isn't really a lot to do there :(

You could talk to Robin Williams and Matt Damon about life..

good_will_hunting.jpg

In what planet is Eglinton/Leslie or Lawrence/Leslie in downtown?

If Moss Park extended all the way to Allan Gardens it would make for a great downtown park.
The Islands are great but not accesible.

Agree. Toronto doesn't have a good sized downtown park. If you're on Yonge Street, the best one can do is a 10 minute walk west to Queen's Park or east to Allan Gardens. I think Moss Park will eventually turn into a great downtown park once downtown builds out to meet it. Would be great to have park right on Yonge: that brown field just north of the Central YMCA would be perfect and our last best chance at one.

Agree. Toronto doesn't have a good sized downtown park. If you're on Yonge Street, the best one can do is a 10 minute walk west to Queen's Park or east to Allan Gardens. I think Moss Park will eventually turn into a great downtown park once downtown builds out to meet it. Would be great to have park right on Yonge: that brown field just north of the Central YMCA would be perfect and our last best chance at one.

When the Waterfront is completed, Queens Quay from Parliament to Bathurst, will essentially be a giant park. And the Islands are a fantastic park downtown. To say that they are not accessible is to say you're lazy. It takes 15 minutes on a boat to get there, and riding a boat is half the fun!

ITS a great photo but...?

I took this from the Broadview streetcar, May long weekend.

IMG_3867.jpg

Why would they put a HUGE oil storage tank. right down town like that? Oh wait thats city hall!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :rolleyes:

Great shot, I love that Shangri La, and soon L Tower, is really expanding the vertical density from so many angles.
The core is so tall, and dense, and finally, these 2 really broaden, the pinnacle of downtown!
And from Humber bay, SL, BA, and Trump have really improved the northside balance and step down effect of the CBD...

exciting to see these projects as they emerge on the skyline... for me that is the most exciting time!! Aura, Cinema, L , Ice, 300, RCMI, are the ones I am watching for now!! :)
Couture was a pleasant addition , just in terms of the skyline impact, making X and area twice as dense. (Predictably lol)

rosedale-ravine.jpg

less than 1 km from yonge and bloor, less than 100 m from yonge

Yeah, like I said Toronto doesn't have a good sized downtown park. It would be nice to have a park RIGHT ON YONGE. Not a km north of Bloor and then another 100 m off that.

Last edited:
rosedale-ravine.jpg

less than 1 km from yonge and bloor, less than 100 m from yonge

100m is like the width of a small city block (Yonge to Bay is about 220m for example). Where is it in the photo ?

I think creating a big downtown park about the size of the U of T St. George is a bit difficult thing to accomplish at this point.
Probably we can nicely keep the Queen's Park in the west and make another middle sized park (or a slightly bigger one) somewhere in downtown.
I think connecting Allan Gardens and Mose Park (demolishing everything in between except historic buildings and put the area back to nature) might be a great idea. That way we have two medium size oasises (instead of a giant one) in the west and the east of Yonge.
Now, don't say it's too radical. Don't always just blame on the fathers either.

Last edited:
100m is like the width of a small city block (Yonge to Bay is about 220m for example). Where is it in the photo ?
the path in the photo goes up some stairs to crescent road... turn left, and there's the rosedale subway station

in fact, there is another park, ramsden park, on the the other side of yonge from the rosedale subway station, substantially bigger than this lovely isolated gem (isolated because so few people seem to know about it), and ramsden park is actually on yonge street

not sure how this thread got hijacked off the skyline and into parks...

these views are worth millions!!!! ^^^

not only expansive, unobstructed, but also up close to the skyline... pretty rare.

OUTSTANDING! Great new views of our city.

This image will make a fine "Then" shot, to be used when the West Don Lands are completed.

IMG1152-XL.jpg

Back