Toronto Sixty Colborne Condos | 82.29m | 25s | Freed | a—A

So this explains why developers rush people into units that are nowhere near done. I don't know why the city allows it.

Councillor Wiong-Tam has some plan to say the City cannot approve the construction or reno for a condo sales centre until the project is approved but I doubt this would actually stop sales as they could, I assume, still happen through brokers.

What a stupid thing for Wong-Tam to propose. Does she think that she is in a communist country? You can't restrict the legal sale of condo's by denying permits to construct a sales office. If potential buyers are doing their due-diligence they will ascertain if the project is approved before signing on the dotted line - if it's a concern to them.

What a stupid thing for Wong-Tam to propose. Does she think that she is in a communist country?

Her immigration policies speak for themselves. Obviously, I'm referring to her advocating that illegal immigrants should be entitled to city services, but I'll just call it an immigration policy since it is a well known fact that city council will hold a referendum to secede from Canada in 2015 (the OMB vote was the first step).

* Please note that I am an immigrant myself, and an advocate of streamlining the residence/citizenship process for those who apply legally, not those who break the law and expect amnesty. Anyways, this whole debate is kind of ridiculous. There is absolutely no way the city can ban the sale of something. It's a free market, and as Peepers said, potential buyers really should be doing their due diligence anyways.

So this explains why developers rush people into units that are nowhere near done. I don't know why the city allows it.

1) It's the consumers and speculators (investors is too broad of a term - nonspeculators probably aren't too keen on buying condos) that are rushing to buy these units. Developers aren't holding a gun to their heads.
2) The city should definitely not have enough rights to control the free flow of money in a market. Even if consumers are being deceived, either the federal/provincial government(s) needs to act on it, or people need to be educated to avoid such issues. It isn't the city's job to become involved in such matters. Actually, I find it ridiculous that they're focused on these issues when we have bigger problems to deal with (namely, transportation, and outdated planning policies).

Last edited:
I don't get it. If it isn't the city's job to look out for "deceived" consumers, why would you think it's the provincial or federal government that ought to take up the task? If Joe Citizen is getting ripped off and any level of gubbmint is aware of it, don't you think they ought to be letting Joe know the score?

Either you take a libertarian approach and claim a blanket "buyer beware" approach for your electorate (in which case you let 'em sink or swim), or you assume some level of responsibility - if nothing else, letting another level of government know something underhanded is taking place that's screwing folks over.

I don't get it. If it isn't the city's job to look out for "deceived" consumers, why would you think it's the provincial or federal government that ought to take up the task? If Joe Citizen is getting ripped off and any level of gubbmint is aware of it, don't you think they ought to be letting Joe know the score?

Either you take a libertarian approach and claim a blanket "buyer beware" approach for your electorate (in which case you let 'em sink or swim), or you assume some level of responsibility - if nothing else, letting another level of government know something underhanded is taking place that's screwing folks over.

Are people really being deceived or are people just too lazy to read the fine print? If a developer was claiming his project was approved when in fact it wasn't that would be a case of deception and the developer could be charged with fraud. I doubt that this is happening in fact I would bet that in cases where approval's are outstanding the developer would in writing make the sale contingent on receiving the necessary approvals. Failure to have this disclaimer in writing would expose the developer to lawsuits if approvals were not forthcoming.

That was an issue that was brought up at the recent City condo consultations.

Thanks. It's good to know I am not losing my mind.

But as to the other points:

(1) It amounts to false advertising IMO to put up a sales centre with model suites and shiny glassy models of buildings if the plans are not approved. That's because, say, if the city demands a change, fewer storeys for example, or even a reshaping like the way Massey Tower had to shave off a bit at the top to accommodate St. Mike's flight path, it could affect the number of units or layouts or square footage or something. A buyer thinks she is getting 400 sf shaped like a square only to discover she is getting 380 sf with an odd angle on one side.

(2) It basically tells me that developers don't give a rat's butt what the city has to say because they're already prepped to go to the OMB.

Thanks. It's good to know I am not losing my mind.

But as to the other points:

(1) It amounts to false advertising IMO to put up a sales centre with model suites and shiny glassy models of buildings if the plans are not approved. That's because, say, if the city demands a change, fewer storeys for example, or even a reshaping like the way Massey Tower had to shave off a bit at the top to accommodate St. Mike's flight path, it could affect the number of units or layouts or square footage or something. A buyer thinks she is getting 400 sf shaped like a square only to discover she is getting 380 sf with an odd angle on one side.

Any change in the unit size or layout would be cause to notify the purchaser. Changing the external cladding or brand of HVAC unit however would not.

(2) It basically tells me that developers don't give a rat's butt what the city has to say because they're already prepped to go to the OMB.

Maybe the city shouldn't rely on a 27 year old zoning by-law then?

What a stupid thing for Wong-Tam to propose. Does she think that she is in a communist country? You can't restrict the legal sale of condo's by denying permits to construct a sales office. If potential buyers are doing their due-diligence they will ascertain if the project is approved before signing on the dotted line - if it's a concern to them.

It is rather silly. What's to stop the developer from opening a sales centre in an existing retail space. They certainly don't need a new standalone sales centre to sell.

Are people really being deceived or are people just too lazy to read the fine print?

I think its neither. I think its the fact that most people don't know the approval process, especially first timers, people who are new to Canada but would like to participate in what everyone else appears to be participating in, (buying a home) ...as well as those who don't spend time on places like urban toronto for fun, lol.

One of the best looking and high profile condo showrooms and it was packed this past Saturday.

sixtym25.jpg

I'm sure she wouldn't mind if it was communist. It is totally unbelievable how much gov't thinks they can meddle in the lives of its citizens in Toronto.

Anyone who has close proximity to KWT sees that she acts in the interest of business with many of the decisions she makes, in addition to working for the public good. The woman was a real estate agent for God's sake... she's really not the leftist loot-strumming hippie people try to make her out to be. (Not that I have anything against such types... in fact I think we need more of that.) But I respect the balance she has worked to achieve while walking a very difficult line. Let's not forget that protecting the rights of people while tending to the perceived 'needs' of business is very tough to reconcile.

Anyone who has close proximity to KWT sees that she acts in the interest of business with many of the decisions she makes, in addition to working for the public good. The woman was a real estate agent for God's sake... she's really not the leftist loot-strumming hippie people try to make her out to be. (Not that I have anything against such types... in fact I think we need more of that.) But I respect the balance she has worked to achieve while walking a very difficult line. Let's not forget that protecting the rights of people while tending to the perceived 'needs' of business is very tough to reconcile.

Agree completely, you can suede those who wish to ignore facts or decide to pass judgement without actually interacting or getting involved.

One of the best looking and high profile condo showrooms and it was packed this past Saturday.

With police and valet service for drivers, food service for visitors. Some special sales event going on.

Back