Toronto Sherway Gardens Expansion | ?m | 2s | Cadillac Fairview | DIALOG

It was reported in the front page article that PF Changs is in the works, but it was confirmed that Cactus Club Cafe will be opening in 2017. http://www.cactusclubcafe.com/2015/11/second-cactus-club-cafe-in-toronto-coming-in-2017/

PF Changs's Canadian locations filed for bankruptcy protection earlier in 2015 with their Don Mills location closed already, so I don't think PF Changs will be opening anymore. http://business.financialpost.com/n...eatery-loses-way-in-ethnically-diverse-canada
Thanks for that info. The pad for that restaurant (just west of where The Keg went in) did not get built on when everything else in that area went in.

Whatever happened to department stores having affordable cafeterias?
These days the affordable cafeteria is the McDs in the Walmart. Food-wise at Saks, the question will be how many eat-in options will there be at the Pusateri's food hall, and what will they run you? (I didn't take a peek at the Beaumont Kitchen menu by the way, I was too pressed for time, but I assume those are $40 to 50 dinners per person…)

Speaking of cafeterias, are there any these days other than at IKEA? Food service has gone elsewhere, with the all-you-can-eats like Mandarin (not that cheap), or the glorified food courts, where the food options are getting better. The Freddo at Sherway for example? Pretty impressive offerings for quick service at a mall.

Here are shots of Saks, inside and out, from yesterday, part 1:
View attachment 68197
Great exterior shots, thanks.
Nice change from your before shots:
Is the façade that had the arches the side that's split with the SportChek?
(and a parking deck with an ugly beige precast perimeter wall was built in front of it?)

That mall entrance looks a bit disjointed with 3 entrances (it doesn't give a sense of "department store" to me), but it makes sense to give the Food Hall more presence.

Last edited:
Yes, where the arches used to be—the east wall—will be pretty much two thirds Saks, with the Sport Check to the north of it. There was a parking garage there for a quite a long time, and then it was taken down a few years ago, and has now been replaced obviously.

None of the the three entrances to Saks highlights Pusateri's. We'll see if they make changes once Pusateri's opens, but at the moment, while the entrance with the stairs down to the men's floor/food hall floor has a food hall sign, it displays only menswear.

I wonder how successful saks will be here it looks like a ghost town in the pictures. I also went into the one at the Bay/ eaton Centre and it was mostly empty too just a few poel walk through it and the staff

Yes, where the arches used to be—the east wall—will be pretty much two thirds Saks, with the Sport Check to the north of it. There was a parking garage there for a quite a long time, and then it was taken down a few years ago, and has now been replaced obviously.

None of the the three entrances to Saks highlights Pusateri's. We'll see if they make changes once Pusateri's opens, but at the moment, while the entrance with the stairs down to the men's floor/food hall floor has a food hall sign, it displays only menswear.

Thanks.

I saw the Saks Food Hall Pusateri's sign and figured that Pusateri's wanted some "direct" access from the mall (rather than just the central store escalators). It would make sense for them to display some foodstuffs in that area once the Food Hall opens.
I gather that there is direct access from the parking lot/garage to the Food Hall floor? That may provide some convenience.

I wonder how successful saks will be here it looks like a ghost town in the pictures. I also went into the one at the Bay/ eaton Centre and it was mostly empty too just a few poel walk through it and the staff
It was actually reasonably busy when I was there, early afternoon on a weekday. I specifically wait for times when there are few people in the shot to click the shutter, because typically I want to show you what the store looks like without too many people getting in the way!

Thanks.

I saw the Saks Food Hall Pusateri's sign and figured that Pusateri's wanted some "direct" access from the mall (rather than just the central store escalators). It would make sense for them to display some foodstuffs in that area once the Food Hall opens.
I gather that there is direct access from the parking lot/garage to the Food Hall floor? That may provide some convenience.
Yes. The food hall is the east half of the lower level, the menswear being the west half. Where the escalators are (still the same spot from when this was Sears and Eaton's before that) is the dividing line between the two sections.

Unless you go high end, it won't be a draw like it used to? Besides, food service does require a lot of staff for dubious bang for the buck.

AoD

I have fond memories of the cafeteria at the 7th floor of Eaton's in the Eaton Centre with it's nautical theme and great view of the city...

I wonder too. Holt's was never that busy at Sherway. Now the mall is going to have two high-end department stores. I can't see downtowners venturing out to Sherway when the Eaton Centre has those stores.

I think Saks would do better at Yokdale.

I wonder too. Holt's was never that busy at Sherway. Now the mall is going to have two high-end department stores. I can't see downtowners venturing out to Sherway when the Eaton Centre has those stores.

I think Saks would do better at Yokdale.
They're not looking to attract downtowners- the market for that is covered by the Saks flagship.

Saks' market at Sherway is primarily Toronto's wealthy western suburbs. That is why Sherway was always a high end mall.

The Holts had really good sales per sqf from persons I knew working at the store. It's just expansion and investment for them at a location that will see competition from two very well known international department stores wasn't worth it. Better to try to own the luxury space at another mall (sq1) than to be a small fish at Sherway.

I concur with what people have said so far about the problem with Sherway as it currently stands. I do like the North expansion, however the building has really lost its soul with the closing of the Gourmet Fair. I'm sure it will change when Nordstrom finally opens its doors and this gap is filled, but right now it just feels off.

So, Pusateri's has opened at Saks Sherway, and I love shooting beautiful food displays, so guess where I worked from today!

Harrods Food Hall was my first food foto fest a few years ago, and as it's cited as the inspiration for Pusateri's at Saks, you can see how Harrods looks in this set of pics on Flickr, and compare them with what follows. Because of the number I took (and these are whittled down to the best), I need three posts to show them all.

Here's post #1:

As seen from Saks Menswear:
01DSC09969.jpg

That's the champagne bar on the left.
02DSC09965.jpg

General Manager John Mastroianni and President Frank Luchetta leading the tour:
03DSC09890.jpg

Close-ups of the butcher's shop counter:
04DSC09897.jpg
05DSC09971.jpg
06DSC09896.jpg

Just around the corner is produce:
07DSC09905.jpg
08DSC09907.jpg

Another area is known as La Cucina, or The Kitchen. There is a full catering kitchen in behind:
09DSC09856.jpg
10DSC09875.jpg
11DSC09874.jpg
12DSC09945.jpg
13DSC09944.jpg
14DSC09953.jpg

Attachments

• 01DSC09969.jpg
    01DSC09969.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 761
  • 02DSC09965.jpg
    02DSC09965.jpg