Toronto Scotiabank Arena Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | BBB

I’ve always wondered if there was a way to cut through a wall and allow MLS residents to access the underground parking via the loading dock ramp off Lake Shore. You’d have to reconfigure/secure that whole area to separate residents/shoppers from grocery shipments, players, etc.

As for 15 York, you could either tunnel under Bremner to expand access from Lake Shore or close it off during major events. Either way, to shut off that street to traffic would be a huge project.

Actually it is MLSE, The City of Toronto that arranged for things to be this way after discussion with local stakeholders such as TSCC 2130, CF and Menkes.

The City of Toronto mandated one lane of traffic remaining open into and in front of Maple Leaf Square (15 York and 65/55 Bremner). The concern was access in an emergency. They needed to ensure that in an emergency either at the arena, condo or office tower they could gain access. Also event parking for the arena is at 15 and 25 York but primarily 15 York.

What most people don't know is that in an emergency the CACF room for 15 York and the condo is located on Bremner. If alarms start going off emergency officials need to be able to access it quickly. You can't do that if it is closed to vehicles.

I don't buy that for a second. Emergency officials are already on site during these events and shouldn't have any issue accessing the CACF room. Like I mentioned, every building on Wellesley is blocked off for 3 days during Pride, not to mention every building on Church also. This is nothing new for the city.

I don't buy that for a second. Emergency officials are already on site during these events and shouldn't have any issue accessing the CACF room. Like I mentioned, every building on Wellesley is blocked off for 3 days during Pride, not to mention every building on Church also. This is nothing new for the city.

The problem is that there are 20700 or so people in the arena during games and during the playoffs 10000 more in the square outside. That is approximately 30000 people in a very tight space. They need dedicated access should something go horribly wrong. If 15 York Catches fire and Maple Leaf Square is full of people you are screwed.

I worked at the condo during Game 6 of the NBA Finals. When we won you could not move in the square. I was stuck in an elevator for over an hour because the technicians could not get on site. TFS could not get in there either because of the amount of people. TPS closed the stretch of Bremner from York to the arena in anticipation of the finals win but there were so many people they could not go anywhere. Even if the police wanted to clear them out there was nowhere for the people to go.

With Pride the people are always moving with viewing parties and celebrations people congregate.

Last edited:
That sucks. Thats a huge missed opportunity to truly create a great outdoor area without having to share it with Cars.

All new arenas in NBA such as Chase center in San Francisco are now copying what Toronto did by installing a TV outside and a huge outdoor plaza where fans can watch games.
Which Toronto copied from L.A and more precisely, Dallas.

The Scotiabank "S" logo to the right of the screen will also be digital. They're installing the digital panels today. Also, scaffolding have started to be disassembled today.

I assume the bridge work is the CIBC / SBA one:

Closure: September 29 - October 1, 2019
Bay Street, from Front to Lake Shore Blvd

This weekend, Bay Street will close from Front Street to Lake Shore Boulevard to support work on the Bay Street bridge with work being done on the south side. The closure will be in effect as follows:

• September 29: 2100 to 0500 (Sunday night to Monday morning)
  • September 30: 2100 to 0500 (Monday night to Tuesday morning)
  • October 1: 2100 to 0500 (Tuesday night to Wednesday morning)

The Bay Teamways will remain open during these times according to the established management plan.

I assume the bridge work is the CIBC / SBA one:

Closure: September 29 - October 1, 2019
Bay Street, from Front to Lake Shore Blvd

This weekend, Bay Street will close from Front Street to Lake Shore Boulevard to support work on the Bay Street bridge with work being done on the south side. The closure will be in effect as follows:

• September 29: 2100 to 0500 (Sunday night to Monday morning)
  • September 30: 2100 to 0500 (Monday night to Tuesday morning)
  • October 1: 2100 to 0500 (Tuesday night to Wednesday morning)

The Bay Teamways will remain open during these times according to the established management plan.
I suspect it's for the removal of the scaffolding for the bridge on Bay st.

Impressed how well the colours come through even during the day. The whole area should be a fun wash of colour at night.

Toronto didn't copy LA and certainly NOT Dallas. :)

Both Staples' LA Live and ACC's Maple Leaf Square opened up around 2008/09.
Dallas' American Airlines Center added their Victory Park space even later... 2012 IIRC.
Nice try; Victory Plaza was around in Dallas back in 2008, but of course was expanded as the years went on. Same goes for LA Live, it opened in 2008 and expanded as well with more developments.

Maple Leaf Square (not the towers) didnt open until around closer to 2010.

September 27 - I guess one does not simply turn a massive TV “on”.. but it’s basically on.

The black rectangle at the top is actually a hole in the TV as they (I’m assuming) fix certain parts of the screen while calibrating. There is a small team standing in the square (behind the trucks below) that seem to be running the show.

EA910D96-BDC5-45F7-B0F1-F5A33E16E16B.jpeg

Last edited:

Back