Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

Quality architectural lighting on major landmarks can make streetscapes look so much more sophisticated at night. Unfortunately, too often building owners turn it off after a few years of illuminated beauty. They should always take pride in their architecture, especially if it's a heritage landmark, and illuminate it to show it off as something that makes our city great.

Quality architectural lighting on major landmarks can make streetscapes look so much more sophisticated at night. Unfortunately, too often building owners turn it off after a few years of illuminated beauty. They should always take pride in their architecture, especially if it's a heritage landmark, and illuminate it to show it off as something that makes our city great.

Or lights burn out and it takes time to replace them ruining the uniform look. I can't tell if they used LED lighting or not, hopefully they did to keep power consumption down so that they stay on.
As one approaches the Gardens along Church or Carlton Street the area feels so "big city" now after so many years of it being dark and dreary in that area. It's such a huge improvement.

I find St. Lawrence Market to be a dirty dump...

It's not dirty, and it's certainly not a dump. Does a little bit of garbage or a few squished tomatoes end up on the floor on a busy Saturday or Sunday, yes - doesn't make it dirty. Perhaps you should shop exclusively at bright, modern Loblaws and Metro stores and pay double than what you'd find at St. Lawrence Market just to have shiny floors.

I guess my post was deleted for some reason;

I know a lot of people who've been to the St. Lawrence market and never once have I ever heard anyone describe it as dirty, busy sure. To the contrary, I've gotten many people to check it out, most folks out there have heard of St. Lawrence market but haven't actually visited, once they do they usually go back, and often.

Actually to some degree I find it cleaner then many grocery stores ! There's very little garbage just laying around, they seem to do a good job cleaning it.

Maybe it's so busy on the weekends when I usually go there are too many people around to notice the dirt :)

Having said all that, if you're referring to the north market i.e. the small one for fruits / vegetables - that doesn't really have the charm of the south building, but again it's not dirty, anyway hopefully, soon it'll be replaced.

Well that's perfect. You can continue shopping there, and the rest of us will shop at the SLM. No love lost.

Thank you.

hahahaha... what an inane series of posts!

Further to the defense of St Lawrence Market: best bagels/cream cheese combo in town with St. Urbain and Alex Farms in the back corner. Where else can you get duck fat by the container? And, in the north side, the Porteguese sausage makers and my wife having high level negotiations about the proper sausages for a choucroute or paella is worth the price of admission...

hahahaha... what an inane series of posts!

Alex Farms in the back corner.

Alex Farms where 3 out of 4 cheeses I once bought for a New Year's Eve party were positively reeking of ammonia. (I once heard from a French acquaintance that Canadians are getting more sophisticated about cheese, but some still cannot distinguish between a strong aroma and the stench of overripe or badly kept cheese.)

St. Lawrence Market is indispensable, but I was surprised to find at the new Loblaws some Indian spices, such as fenugreek and brown mustard seeds, that I had never seen before in a mainstream grocery store.

I was in Metro College Park today to pick up a whack of snow crab legs on special for my new years eve soirée and it was dead in there. I'm in there at least once a week and have never seen it like that before. It comes as no surprise that Loblaws would take some business away but this was nuts. Presumably after the Loblaws fad wears off it'll pick up again.

I was in Metro College Park today to pick up a whack of snow crab legs on special for my new years eve soirée and it was dead in there. I'm in there at least once a week and have never seen it like that before. It comes as no surprise that Loblaws would take some business away but this was nuts. Presumably after the Loblaws fad wears off it'll pick up again.

imo, Metro does have the better location/area with more traffic, so i don't think Metro is going anywhere anytime soon, but ya, there's no comparison to loblaws at MLG lol!

Back