Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

... and a reminder: what we've seen so far is pretty much just the "basement" of the building. Maple Leafs Gardens will remain as an ice rink where the next generation of hockey players will be born.
EXACTLY. Hockey will still be played here. It's even possible that one day, minor hockey players other than the Ryerson Rams will use the facility. I certainly hope so.

Nobody has mentioned it yet so I guess a lot of people missed it.. But did you know they actually have the exact location of centre ice marked?

20111130-mlg-centre-ice.jpg

EDIT: That reminds me of a question that's been bugging me. Why is the store at Yonge and Yonge, and a few others, called "Loblaw", while others are called "Loblaws"? Identity crisis?

Here is the answer from the Loblaws website. Although even their answer is incorrect, since their logo clearly says "Loblaw Great Foods" not "Loblaws Great Foods" vs. just plain "Loblaws."

What's the difference between Loblaws Great Foods / Superstore and Loblaws?

Differences between banners such as Superstore and Loblaws are driven by our mission to be Canada's best food, health and home retailer by exceeding customer expectations through innovative products at great prices.

We know that all our customers are unique, and we've created unique experiences in each of our banners: Superstores offer expanded beauty, home and general merchandise sections with lower-cost service models from what you know in Loblaws. Great Food stores offer some unique, market specific service ideas and food products in select locations.

Last edited:
The real answer is that the Loblaw stores are non-union and they could not have gotten rid of the unionized workers if they kept the "Loblaws" name.

Love it. But not a single bike stand? Just-planted trees on Carlton are already securing three bikes each. They'll be dead by spring. C'mon people!

Will do - thanks DSC. Too bad substantial bike parking wasn't designed into the project. I am not sure a few posts and rings will be enough....

Nobody has mentioned it yet so I guess a lot of people missed it.. But did you know they actually have the exact location of centre ice marked?

I didn't realize that was there until later that evening when I saw online news coverage of the opening. A neat marker that's for sure!

Maybe they could have also painted the outline of the rink with lines and all for a greater overall effect.

Checked out the new store today, and it really is quite stunning! It's absolutely HUGE and designed for the downtown shopper in mind. Great addition to the area.

Was in there today too. Can't understand why some are griping about it. (If it doesn't stock something, tell a manager that you think they should have it!!)

The place seems soooooo BIG CITY, and to me it felt like Toronto just grew perceptibly in stature*, as opposed to the more typical imperceptible increment. This store just feels like a game-changer for the grocery business in the country. Sure, it has all the regular Loblaws stuff, (of course it does, it's a Loblaws!!), but it's got quite a number of items you won't find at any other location, and as stated before, the prepared foods area is quite vast, with so much on offer and so much going on that you really can't take in everything in one visit.

The place looks great too; the graphics throughout are supermodern… while still retro, the material palette is eclectic… while entirely harmonious, everything points to a huge leap forward… while celebrating the best of our past.

People were obviously jazzed to be in there - the place was abuzz - it's going to become a major hangout.

* I know that statement can be read as hyperbolic, but I think that in some ways this location is as significant a step forward as many of our recent major cultural openings have been. Many don't go to the opera or ballet for example, and even those who subscribe will only enter the wonderful 4SCftPA half a dozen or so times a season. This place, for those close by, might be visited 100 times a year. This is a very significant building, and a grocery store that will rate as a city-wide attraction.

PS - If you haven't seen Jason Paris' pics from the opening yet, they are in our front page article here.

Last edited:

20111130-mlg-centre-ice.jpg

It's about where centre ice used to be, it's not the real, actual spot given that the floor was removed to construct the parking level(s) below, but it's still cool and a really nice touch!

I guess this is officially Toronto's second "event" food mart - the first, of course, being the St Lawrence Market - that also has the potential to become a tourist attraction. All in all it's a very positive addition to the city and it fulfills a public function much better than a more specialized retailer like Home Depot would have done. It will also be a popular place to begin (and, hopefully one day end) a night on the town. A big tip of the hat to Loblaws and Ryerson for pulling this off.

* I know that statement can be read as hyperbolic, but I think that in some ways this location is as significant a step forward as many of our recent major cultural openings have been. Many don't go to the opera or ballet for example, and even those who subscribe will only enter the wonderful 4SCftPA half a dozen or so times a season. This place, for those close by, might be visited 100 times a year. This is a very significant building, and a grocery store that will rate as a city-wide attraction.

Agreed that this elevates the common-day experience of grocery shopping, thereby making the art, design, and heritage experience of it all a little more widely accessible. In this sense it is resolutely more functionally urban than more high-brow or niche projects.

This Loblaws does seem inconsistent with Loblaws' own branding because it says "Loblaws Great food" rather than "Loblaw Great Food". Odd.

(As seen here on UT's article:

urbantoronto-4199-12569.jpg

Last edited:

Back