Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

at first there were going to be 5000 seats in the new rink at the gardens and they said they might use some of the old seats but now i hear there will be only 3000 seats at the rink why did the cut the seating by 2000

Likely when the design went from paper to practice it did not work with that many. I hear it is closer to 2,500 which, for university hockey, is still more than they typically need.

mlgf23.jpg

mlgf23b.jpg

I cheered them on as they removed the fieldstone. I just could never understand how someone could have picked that for an art deco building.

I just could never understand how someone could have picked that for an art deco building.

Simple. At whatever likely date said fieldstone was installed, such architecture was considered to be dated junk (and was it even *called* Art Deco yet? IIRC the term only came into common use as a 60s/70s retronym.) Remember that if the Ballard/Smythe cabal weren't such parsimonious cheapskates, they could just as well have clad the whole joint in fieldstone, "style" be darned...

Simple. At whatever likely date said fieldstone was installed, such architecture was considered to be dated junk (and was it even *called* Art Deco yet? IIRC the term only came into common use as a 60s/70s retronym.) Remember that if the Ballard/Smythe cabal weren't such parsimonious cheapskates, they could just as well have clad the whole joint in fieldstone, "style" be darned...

Just when I thought that fieldstone was the most offensive possible addition conceivable, you raise the possibility of a worse scenario! Maybe when I'm 80 people will be wistful about the fieldstone panels that used to grace rec-rooms, suburban homes, and MLG...nah...not possible.

Maybe when I'm 80 people will be wistful about the fieldstone panels that used to grace rec-rooms, suburban homes, and MLG...nah...not possible.

Except for the MLG part, you'd be surprised (think of the Dave LeBlanc types out there, f'rinstance)

It does work - I agree - in many forms. The building on Gerrard across from Ryerson has fieldstone landscaping, and its cool and very well kept up. However, it looks like part of the original design, not an architectural scab.

And those "that used to grace rec-rooms, suburban homes" etc tend to be part of the original design as well. Thus my strategic Dave Le Blanc reference. (While today's "architectural scabs" are when that 50s/60s fieldstone suburbia is disfigured through EIFS or whatever.)

Breakfast Television is reporting an industrial accident inside the building and some "rescue" efforts necessary

Back