Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

Its either that or blast it and keep the facade.I really dont know if there is any one out there willing to spend 100 million bucks just for a leisure ice rink.

But again, you can't simply "blast it and keep the facade", if it's the concrete stands that are holding up the facade. Essentially, you'd have to do a total takedown and reconstruction--and is it worth it?

But again, you can't simply "blast it and keep the facade", if it's the concrete stands that are holding up the facade. Essentially, you'd have to do a total takedown and reconstruction--and is it worth it?

"Yes".
Aside from the rink and memories, there's nothing of significant value inside.
Until Loblaws decides what they are going to do with this building I'd like to see the entrances/lobby areas off Carlton & Church Streets converted and used for retail uses. There are seven or eight entrances that could be divided and leased putting the old girl back into use for the time being while generating some revenue for Loblaws and in turn, bringing some life back to this corner.

Last edited:
"Yes".

But arguably, by that measure, how much is there of significant value *outside*, either? Sure, it may be Deco, but being built in a for-1931-utilitarian spirit, it isn't the loveliest Deco building in town, there's a lot who'd brush it off as an ugly yellow brick barn, i.e. opinion's divided on its aesthetic and hence "architectural heritage" (as opposed to cultural heritage) merits. Aesthetically speaking, it's more of a "Bush sheds" than "Union Station" kind of landmark, IOW.

Given what MLG represents, it really is more of an all-or-nothing matter in saving it; otherwise, a Bay-Adelaidesque reerected-shell solution would be more travesty than tribute...

I agree with Adma, I'd rather see the whole thing go than little bits of it butressing a glass box. I am not a hockey fan, but seeing what happened to the forum in Montreal was depressing even for someone who really doesn't give a damn.

I think the problems with an imaginative re-use of the buildings are not small. However, I also agree with geek and would love to see some partial re-use occupy the bits along Church that seem like they could be remade fairly cheaply. They would have to have something in their leases, however, that said they would have to be out on a dime were some larger re-development to occur.

I've always liked the clean, understated deco of MLG and to me it is a good example of the style. Its enormous scale on the site and the way it meets the street is also an impressive example of the type of bygone urban stadiums that are fast disappearing. All that MLG needs is a good clean and refurbishment. Add some streetscaping, bunting and banners and the place would look fantastic.

I'm also concerned that tearing MLS down would be the big mistake of our generation as far as heritage preservation goes. Toronto is arguably the capital of hockey and MLG is its shrine and the only 'original' hockey stadium left. Why would we destroy that? Thankfully a previous generation didn't feel the same way about the Royal Alexandra or Massey Hall (also in bad need of TLC) or Union Station or...

I'm also concerned that tearing MLS down would be the big mistake of our generation as far as heritage preservation goes.

No question it would be a huge mistake. I don't know what to do with it, but it needs to find new life.

"Yes".
Until Loblaws decides what they are going to do with this building I'd like to see the entrances/lobby areas off Carlton & Church Streets converted and used for retail uses. There are seven or eight entrances that could be divided and leased putting the old girl back into use for the time being while generating some revenue for Loblaws and in turn, bringing some life back to this corner.

I like this idea. Some businesses at street level would be ideal. Coffee shops, cell phone stores, Loblaws Express, whatever. Boy Weston owes me if they implement that last idea.

(This list got me wondering what the other stadiums looked like...)

THE ORIGINAL SIX

The Olympia - Detroit
1927-1979
Capacity 16,700
Fate: Vacated & shuttered. Demolished 1987
Notable: Also known as the Old Red Barn. The U.S. National Guard's Olympia Armory stands on the site.

olympia.jpg

Olympia_Stadium_-_1963.jpg

Chicago Stadium
1929-1994
Capacity 17,317
Fate: Demolished 1995
Notable: The centre of the Chicago Bulls' floor was moved into the trophy room of Michael Jordan's house.

Chicagostadiumnight150.jpg

Chicago_Stadium_792x600.jpg

800px-Chicago_Stadium-March95.jpg

During demolition in 1995

Boston Garden
1928-1995
Capacity 14,448
Fate: Demolished 1997
Notable: The Naden mechanical overhead scoreboard is now hanging in the Boston Garden themed foodcourt of the Arsenal Mall in Watertown, Mass.

Boston_Garden_800x588.jpg

oldfront.gif

Boston%20Garden%20Demolition.jpg

Madison Square Garden III
1926-1968
Capacity 18,200
Fate: Shuttered, demolished over a number of years and turned into a parking lot. World Wide Plaza built on the site in 1989.
Notable: Originally named for a small park near its original Madison Ave. location. Today it is not located by a park or Madison Ave. Built in 249 days

Madison_Square_Garden_800x580.jpg

3rdoldfront.jpg

a_Madison-Square-Garden-old_1.jpg

Montreal Forum
1926-1996
Capacity 17,959
Fate: Renovated into a downtown entertainment centre with shopping and theatres.
Notable: Parts of exterior preserved with marker reading "Forever Remembered."

ep09_MontrealForum.jpg

forum.jpg

Montreal_Forum_800x584.jpg

Maple Leaf Gardens
1931-1999
Capacity 15,837
Fate: Undetermined.
Notable: When the Gardens opened Nov. 12, 1931 the best seats in the house could be had for $2.75 apiece.[/QUOTE]

Gardens_image.jpg

Maple_Leaf_Garden_800x572.jpg

That's fascinating, thanks for doing that research and presenting it so clearly. Given that ours is the old man standing, I guess we aren't so bad with heritage after all. Though, time will tell.

I love the spires on the old Boston Garden. Not to mention that terrific type along the roofline.

I seem to have some sort of morbid fascination with the photos of the demolition of Boston Garden and Chicago Stadium.

On a similar theme, here's a demolition photo I took not too long ago of Detroit's half-demolished Tiger Stadium.

3017413951_e01ccd1743_b.jpg

I wonder if this would make a good scenario in light of talks about bringing a second NHL team to the GTA, or even Toronto: The owner of the new Toronto team will buy up MLG, and incorporate parts of the building, if not the whole building, in a new arena somewhere else in the GTA. Then the MLG site will be free for some high-rise development.

Last edited:
By far Maple Leaf Gardens was the most Grand of the arenas followed by the Chicago Stadiium And Boston Garden.

Interesting to consider, too, how utterly blah the immediate-pre-present MSG was; and how ungainly, with its c1950ish "bookends", the Montreal Forum was--in the latter case, there's an argument that the 1967 extreme makeover actually was an improvement...

Back