Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

It could be, but doubtful. I think it will look as ridiculous and stapled on in the future as it does now. History might look more kindly on the facade of the Bay Adelaide tower, tho.

An even better case in point would be all the old flotsam at BCE, which despite its being facadist-as-well, has never really been looked unkindly upon, except by the more vociferous preservationists.

Besides, UrbanFervour's type of argument can just as well be used to alibi new construction as well as that which retains the old--to the point where who needs architectural criticism, urban design panels, etc, because anything can "come to be seen as a gem for all we know". Slippery slope, you see...

So what stops you from considering modifications made to buildings today as the creation of old/new combo landmarks for people 110 years from now? John Lyle's studio facade on One Bedford could even come to be seen as a gem for all we know.

There are some discernible quality standards. For one, in the case of the St. Lawrence Market, it wasn't just the old facade tacked onto a new building in an awkward fashion like One Bedford. Rather, a structure was built over the central part of the old city hall. Some of the actual structure of the old city hall was retained, and in the 1970s, the council chambers were turned into an art gallery. The old city hall survived in some shape or form, though I think that a lot more could have been saved.

The Design Exchange is perhaps a similar case, in which the facade was integrated into the new structure, along with the actual stock exchange building. It's so much more satisfying to be able to step onto the old trading floor and admire the space and its Art Deco murals than just pass by the facade. As for the St. Lawrence Market, the actual facade today is stripped of a lot of detail that could have been preserved. Perhaps it was the sort of hopeful "first step" to better preservation that some people think facadism is today (over 100 years after it was first done).

Perhaps this is the wrong thread for this, so please move my post if it's in the wrong place, but the former Sam's location is now completely levelled (small bits were still hanging on for dear life last week).

With the demolition complete, it appears as if the sidewalk canopies (is that the correct term for them) are being dismantled. The third floor computer lab in the Library Building here at Ryerson affords an excellent view of the property.

they are in the process of "value engineering" right now because Ryerson cannot afford what has been proposed

Yes, and now we'll have to sit with a new gaping hole in the streetscape for years before the mediocrity is finalized and built. The curse of Yonge/Dundas continues.

The hoarding has all been removed now and replaced by a fence. Probably not a good sign that anything is going to happen here soon.
I didn't have my camera on me so I grabbed a quick shot with my iPhone

ryerson.jpg

Back