Toronto Rushden Station | 138.1m | 39s | Fitzrovia | bKL Architecture

Rushden Station (lol)

Where the hell did they pull that from?

I get that maybe Danforth Station or Main Station might not be the most exciting names; but you could pull from the area's history and go with East Toronto or Coleman's Corners, among others..... or just Danforth Village as the area BIA has coined it....

They are even promoting it as having a lido. I have not seen that term used here before.

Hmmm, in their parlance a 'resort-style' pool.

In British English, a Lido can be a public pool and surround or a beach and surround, but must allow for 'swimming'.

That precludes the usual over-sized bath tub we see in most condos.........

Yet, I see no render of this 'Lido'.....hmmmmm

I hear that there’s some sort of big lake nearby…

No you don't...........this is not the 'Upper Beach' LOL

1704044135859.png

2.46km or, at average walking speed, about 35M to the beach.......that uphill is a @#$@ on the way back though, so its 45 in that direction.

There is a public pool next door

I can't blame Fitzrovia for some fantasical marketing.There's nothing noteworthy at Main and Danforth. It's a disconnected transit hub in a city with insufficient transit which is justification for a large high rise community The area will remain unnoteworthy after 10,000 more people call it home.

Last edited:
Upper Beaches Estates is a large subdivision of townhomes and stacked towns between Ted Reeves and Victoria park, north of Gerrard up to the tracks.

North of the tracks around Main and Danforth definitely isnt upper beaches. I think of that as 'Keystone' or more broadly Danforth Village. I havent heard people use the term the Danny outside of marketing campaigns

From parts of Gerrard around Main/Woodbine, however, you can look south and on certain days see the Fallsview, Hilton, Skylon and mist of the falls. So I think Upper beaches namesake kind of works for south of the tracks.

Upper Beaches Estates establish the name Upper Beach and agents popularized it into a community. That's all well and good if the neighbourhood didn't have its own identity. Main Street by Gerrard was the town centre of East Toronto and the area continues to feel like a town centre with an older collection of buildings than you typically see east of the Don River. Upper Beach replaces all that history with a name derived from its next door neighbour's popularity. It doesn't interest me in debating where it starts and where it ends. If it extends up to St Clair one day than so be it.

Fitzrovia never shy to express their Anglophilia.

I recall they posted on IG a few months ago about how a team of the Fitz folks went to London to look at a bunch of development there for inspiration, which is great! I am all in favour of a more London style approach to new apartment building here in terms of site plan and architectural style.

The name Rushden Station seems like kind of a weird choice though, and may be confusing to people looking for both the GO station, and the apartment towers. I think if they wanted a naming convention that included the word "station", calling it Danforth Station would have probably been fine...?

There is a public pool next door.

I've never heard of a Lido being in indoor pool; assuming you mean the Main Square Rec. Centre; but that is due to be demolished, so that pool won't be there for long.

Back