Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

Awesome shots, thanks.
It's weird and different for Toronto. Perfect! :)

Pics from last Sunday (2006.08.20)

20060820ROM001.jpg

View along Bloor Street.

20060820ROM002.jpg

At the SE corner of University Ave. and Bloor.

20060820ROM003.jpg

AIDS Scuplture at the SW corner.

20060820ROM004.jpg

Looking at the East Crystal from Bloor.

20060820ROM005.jpg

West Crystal - note the support for the cladding is being installed.

20060820ROM006.jpg

Closeup of support struts.

20060820ROM007.jpg

From underneath...

20060820ROM008.jpg

View from across the street.

20060820ROM009.jpg

Different angle, further down.

20060820ROM010.jpg

And even further away, with RCM beside it.

AoD

Great pics AoD. In the one above you really can see the glass-like effect of the crystal with the sun shining off of it, and that isn't even the real cladding yet! For as much as I appreciate the opera house for being a very 'Toronto' project, I like this one just as well for not.

... though how we ended up with this as the winning design is a very Toronto story.

When the winner was announced from the shortlisted architects there was talk of the fix being in for Libeskind, of intrigue behind the scenes and grumbling and dissention among the jury ...

rdaner asks:

What are the ROM's future growth options beyond the Planetariums site?

Off the top of my head, they could build a South crystal and move the curatorial department offsite to across the street.

Little Crystal lites all over the place eventually, I'm hoping. Kingston, Windsor, Sudbury ... you name it. Now they've strengthened their brand identity they can dole out yummy little dollops of culture to the rest of our malnourished Province.

i could also see some kind of a deal with UofT to gain access to the faculty of music and faculty of law sites. i wouldn't be surprised if the ROM somehow ends up expanding over to the varsity lands either

Rom probably has one more expansion on the south side left on the current site. Beyond that most cities have their museums split into natural history and human civilization components. In europe it is far more common for smaller cities (Toronto being a smaller city in terms of our museum collections) to have a dozen small museum collections almong tighter themes. I have never understood for instance why Toronto doesn't have a geological museum given our past and to a lesser degree (now that several of the large resource companies are gone) promenance in this field. Even Canada's petroleum industry was developed in Ontario.

William Thorsel likes to talk about how special the ROM is because it covers both natural and social science histories.

Carved into the stone of the building it says something like, "The record of nature through countless ages and the arts of man through all the years" to describe their mandate. What I like to think of the natural world rubbing shoulders with the unnatural.

In the new Rotunda there are excerpts from Kelvin Browne's upcoming book, Bold Visions: The Architecture of the ROM. And an interview with Libeskind, who hates computers:

"Computers plague architecture. They're fast. They're fun. Architecture, however, is a cultural discipline. It's rooted in tradition and if you don't get in touch with that tradition, architecture becomes an odd experiment. Computers don't help you get in touch with that tradition necessarily. I said in Breaking Ground that "you can provide the chords and specify the vibrations, the music is everywhere. Between the technique and the art is a mystery." What I mean is that if you hear the piano when you're listening to a performance, it's not a very good performance. When you hear the music, the technique disappears. I think the technique of making a building should disappear in its making and its construction. It's true in all the arts. Unfortunately, the computer is all too evident in many building designs today."

Breathtaking.

Is Libeskind trying to say that despite the fact that his buildings require vast amounts of computational power to construct, that their look, that their final composition, belies that fact?

I'll have to re-teach myself how to see these little huts he throws up.

Back