Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

Yes, it's almost an exact match to the most recent renderings. I think some of us have older images in mind that showed a more shiny greyish-silver cladding. I certainly was expecting more of a shine. It's still quite striking though.

Humm... nice comparison Ganjavih... However, I think that the cladding being installed is indeed shiny. It's a collective thing... one uncovered cladding slab doesn't look reflective, but if you look at them closely, I think that an entire building will have a subtle shimmer to it.

Perhaps lessons have been learned from buildings such as The Disney Concert Hall where the highly polished metal cladding was reflecting light towards nearby buildings, increasing the temperature of windows to a point where an egg could be fried on the glass. The affected cladding scales had to be brushed to reduce reflectability.

The ROM will look great I'm sure. So much has been gambled on and focus put into the look of this building, I doubt that a $200+ Million dollar project would screw up in the end after so much effort.

The resulting building is quite different than the blue glass one that won the competition, but who takes competition renderings as gospel anyway?

very cool pics courtesy of ryearch over at SSC:

romtour025fk2.jpg

romtour022wa3.jpg

romtour019uh1.jpg

romtour028nw5.jpg

romtour012dh7.jpg

romtour013vf2.jpg

romtour016bp8.jpg

romtour024pk9.jpg

The interior spaces looks even more stunning than I could hope for.

Thanks yyz.

AoD

Re: smooth

Thanks for the pics, the interior looks awesome.

As much as I love this project, this is one of the few shames of Renaissance ROM:
romtour019uh1.jpg

This makes me think that one day a new ROM president will want to tear down the crystal to reveal the old building once again, just as Thorsell did to the old 1980's addition and how the AGO tore apart their 1990's addition.

Metro:

I think one of the conditions of approval of the project by City Council was that the Crystal will become a hertiage structure upon completion.

www.toronto.ca/legdocs/20...it004a.pdf

Under Hertiage Easment Agreement (p. 8 of report):

The Museum has agreed to enter into a Heritage Easement Agreement that will apply to the entire building including both the historic structure and the new additions. This is a departure from the standard practise of applying the agreement only to those portions of a building that are considered to be of heritage value at the time of the application. Part of the reason for this departure is to ensure that the crystal formations are properly maintained over time in order to protect the visual integrity of the existing heritage structure. Another significant reason for the Heritage Easement agreement is the anticipation that the crystal formation will be seen as a cultural heritage landmark, and a symbol of the ROM as a national asset.

AoD

Thanks Alvin, that's an interesting tidbit. I wonder if this means that the ROM is prohibited from making future changes/additions.

I really hope that this heritage status doesn't apply to the south 1980's wing. With the way fundraising has gone, I think it is possible to announce another phase after the completion of the crystal.

The south Libeskind wing was cut because of cost concerns, but I think those concerns can be put to rest in retrospect.

Of course, any hope of a second Libeskind project is gone if the entire ROM is given heritage status.

It is interesting to compare how Gehry deals with the Walker Court with how Libeskind has dealt with the 1914 and 1931 wings, as shown above. For an architect who stated at the press conference when his AGO design was announced that he's not much of a fan of Neo-Classicism ( no kidding! ) he's accepted the challenge of creating a design that's an extension of one of Toronto's leading Neo-Classical spaces - Walker Court is central, Gehry's design grows out of it, and respect for Toronto's values is indeed writ large in the AGO project. But then Gehry prides himself on being a contextual architect.

I really hope that this heritage status doesn't apply to the south 1980's wing. With the way fundraising has gone, I think it is possible to announce another phase after the completion of the crystal.
If "heritage status" ever applies to the 80s wing, it'll be more as a planning tool than a freeze-in-amber tool. And re the Libeskind wing; well, Kinoshita's no Libeskind--and, oddly enough, KPMB is no Gehry; but Kinoshita isn't even KPMB...

... adma ... remember.. everything you type makes sense... to you. There's no harm in the occasional chalk board session to ensure all students are getting it.

To imagine that the ROM (and the people) would let go of Libeskind's work without a fight, the way they were/are able to let go of Kinoshita's 80s work without a fight, is ridiculous. Sorry; this is Libeskind we're talking about...

Considering that most of the people I've spoken to already think that the "Crystal" is an eyesore, I would not be surprised if it's torn down at some future date. Maybe in a few years the novelty will wear out, and enough people will realize that it looks like the ROM has some sort of boxy cancer growing on the side.

I know this will probably insult anyone who actually likes the thing, but seriously, you need to wake up and stop fawning over Libeskind and his 'starchitecture'. This addition is a disgrace - it totally disrespects the existing building and the surrounding area, is made of ugly yet fantastically expensive materials, and is a giant waste of money that could be put to something better.

Of course, I don't have a lot of respect for most architects today. They're obsessed with doing something different, something new, something 'edgy'. In the process they forgot that buildings should be functional, pleasing to the eye, and integrate well with their surroundings.

^I think you need to open your eyes and start to distinguish between your subjective opinion and the views of others who happen to like this building. You most certainly have the "right" to dislike it and to voice your opinion about that dislike; but to suggest that those who find this structure attractive have somehow taken leave of their senses or are engaging in hero worship of some sort is over the top.

I'm sure that any proposal that would have satisfied you would have its critics too.

I don't think that the Libeskind addition will be torn down because not only is it an engineering marvel, it was well thought out and many donors have put their money into it. It has just as much value now as the early wings do.

That doesn't prevent me from being sad that history will be covered up forever. Some of that great craftsmanship won't be seen again. Thankfully the covered areas are minimal and Libeskind actually highlights the old building within the interior atrium, which I think will be one of the nicest parts of this museum.

Back