Toronto Royal Ontario Museum | ?m | ?s | Daniel Libeskind

Remove the dino gallery (one floor up and make this a 3 story tall space — the dino gallery just above the entrance is 2 stories high. Or at least, set it back from the entrance so it forms a bridge in front of the lobby.
The dinosaur gallery may seem to be two storeys tall, but it's just one ROM-storey high, and removing it would be problematic engineering-wise and programmatically. A cheaper way to open up the Bloor entry gallery a little bit would be to remove some of the wall between the entry area and the spirit house.

For me the Crystal is the 10 Dundas E of our cultural institions--a total failure both funcitonally and aesthetically. Both will meet the wrecking ball at some point, but most likely only the latter in my lifetime. (Though I'd love to see both go)

The dinosaur gallery may seem to be two storeys tall, but it's just one ROM-storey high, and removing it would be problematic engineering-wise and programmatically. A cheaper way to open up the Bloor entry gallery a little bit would be to remove some of the wall between the entry area and the spirit house.

Casually looking at the floor plans, they may be able to cut the floor up a little to give the lobby a little more height - though I think that might be self-defeating. The problem with the space isn't necessarily that, but how that space was used and envisioned - it's raw, cheap and harsh. That can be changed by a proper interior designer with a skilled hand with material choice and good sense.

AoD

Ditch the spirit house entirely. This space serves no purpose, people walk in and look about, unsure why this empty area exists. If you want a place to contemplate, there's plenty of other places in the ROM.

Ditch the spirit house entirely. This space serves no purpose, people walk in and look about, unsure why this empty area exists. If you want a place to contemplate, there's plenty of other places in the ROM.

Yup, remove as many of the walls/ add as many openings as possible and deck it over to use as exhibition space/ additional lobby space.

You can even have glass floors if you want to keep some element of it- allowing people to visually connect with the spaces above.

The problem with the Spirit House is that it's dark, and located right beside the ticket counter, which is hardly the place to be contemplating anything.

Also they should try to add more glass around the ground entrance if possible- right now it still feels like a fortress rather than the dissolving crystal it was originally designed as.

133019-56348.jpg

https://www.canadianarchitect.com/features/news-14/

I also seriously think they need to relocate the temporary exhibition space out of the basement to a more prominent location- perhaps that's an opportunity if they rework the Curatorial Centre in the future.

Last edited:
Funny, the march of time has not lessened the feeling of what I wrote more than ten years ago, perhaps even more so now that I'm a resident of the area:

fiendishlibrarian, Apr 29, 2007

[fiendish rant]
*SNIP*
[/fiendish rant]

I don't want to check back and see how/if I responded, but it would be perfectly in style if I responded with a cheeky "yeah, and that makes it even better". If so, my opinion'd still hold ;-)

But I will say that even then, I felt the most unfortunate/misguided part of the whole scheme was the closure of the QP entrance--and that's more a Thorsell thing than a Libeskind thing; but it was also an unfortunate throwback to that 70sish period when many an expanding gallery/institution closed off their original entrance porticos on behalf of an modernist addition, only to wind up reversing their decision (MMFA being one example). Why they'd do that in the mid-naughts was beyond me to comprehend.

In all honesty, the likeliest scenario for a Libeskind obliteration would be by "out-starchitecting" Libeskind--a little like what led the AGO to replace Barton Myers with Gehry.

Other places to contemplate within the ROM:

•The washrooms
•Unused galleries
•Emergency exits

The Spirit House is completely unnecessary.
Indeed, almost every time I visit the ROM some section is blocked off. I appreciate they want to change up their exhibits, but still it's frustrating.

My ROM membership expired a few months back, and I don't think we'll renew. We had it for the kids mostly.

Update:
The ROM's Welcome project will help open up the museum's main floor as the Toronto institution engages Hariri Pontarini Architects to increase public accessibility, including revitalizing the shuttered Queens Park doors.

Interesting:

“It’s looking for attention and that’s quite clearly what that project is all about,” said Marco Polo, former editor of Canadian Architect magazine and professor in Ryerson University’s department of architectural science.

“I would say, generally speaking, we’ve moved away from that way of thinking, but it was very much a project of its time when that kind of spectacle was part of the game of international architecture.”

Aside from the esthetics of its metal-origami exterior, other critics focused their attention on the confusing layout imposed by the renovation, as well as more philosophical concerns about whether a museum’s design or collection should be its focal point.

“It’s a very challenging building to be in and to navigate. It basically disrupted the clarity of the neoclassical layout of the original museum,” said Kuwabara, who frequents the building and sent his kids to camp there. “He (Libeskind) thinks that the sloping of the floors is an act of disruption that literally destabilizes you, so that you’re walking up and off-balance a bit.

“I don’t know how challenging you want the world to be,” he added. “But some of the best exhibitions I’ve seen are in very classical buildings or in very contemporary buildings like the Tate and the Museum of Modern Art.”

“People say, ‘Oh, well, that must mean you don’t think that the Crystal entrance was successful?’ My answer is the opposite: the Crystal entrance is tremendously successful and it’s in part because of that attendance that reviving that second entrance is so important.”

How popular? Well, buoyed by a popular Chihuly exhibit and the new “Out of the Depths: The Blue Whale Story,” the ROM drew 1.35 million visitors for the fiscal year ending March 31. That’s the most in the museum’s history and places the ROM within North America’s Top 10 most-visited museums, Basseches says.

Whether that increase in visitors justifies the museum’s investment in its expansion is another matter. The financial burden of the Crystal is well documented and, as of March 31, the ROM was managing a debt of $26 million.

That entryway comment is interesting, because I think it reflects more the failure of the entryway design rather than the overall success of the Crystal- simply put, the Crystal's entryway could not accommodate increased numbers of people passing though it.

I still feel like the Crystal needs a significant amount of renovation to its interior layouts and facade before it will ever be truly loved. A Rennaisance ROM 2.0 (Fixing the Crystal)?

Last edited:
Regarding the Star article I overheard someone with a German accent greatly admiring the building exterior yesterday when I was walking by. From my end the exterior definitely wasn't as advertised but it has grown on me. My disappointment is mostly with the interior and the use of space. Surely something more can be done with those walkways and blank space between galleries to open them up a little. There is little to admire architecturally from the inside- no sense of the complex structure around you.

Regarding the Star article I overheard someone with a German accent greatly admiring the building exterior yesterday when I was walking by.

For fun - Zis is ein peaudiful muzeum!
*courtesy of http://www.dcode.fr/german-accent

On the bright side, it is great to see some tourists enjoying it. I wonder how possible it is to move more non-exhibition functions to the addition (say the first two floors) and free up additional space elsewhere.

AoD

Back