Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I know it has been talked about to death, but I honestly think it would be a great PR move if Rogers reopened the renovated stadium by announcing a change from Rogers Centre to Rogers Field.

Yes, I'd prefer Rogers SkyDome, but I don't think that is likely as they want one to say "Rogers" in the name.

Totally agree. Seems like such an obvious move. Maybe the cost to change all signage inside and outside is cost prohibitive? Can’t imagine that would be the case but who knows…
What point wiould that name change actully serve?

hmmm....people like the sound of it better.....

What sounds better to you? Wrigley Centre or Wrigley Field?

Making the stadium sound like what it's actually become, a ball park. Would be the finishing touch on the stadium's transformation.
I get that but its' about as likely as them naming it SkyDome again. I highly doubt that Rogers wants to rename the stadium again just because a few people on a discussion board want them to. Also Wrigley Field doesn't often host other events as much as Rogers Centre does so calling it Rogers Centre makes more sense because it is also marketed as a large concert space.

IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG

Affordable Exterior Solution (while we wait):

Since the Rogers Centre is located on the traditional territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Anishnabeg, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee, and the Wendat peoples, how about indigenous (abstract?) murals covering some of the large concrete chunks around the stadium.

NOTE: there's likely a fundrai$ing overlay that could be included... and it would be fun to watch the transformation (maybe a national competition?). God knows Rogers still needs more good PR.
B1A9363.jpg

Link

Some of the commissions could include a couple of abstract “Blue Jays” logos… or better still, just abstract blue jays in flight, to appease the team and Rogers.

blue-jays

complex.com - Artists Casey Bannerman and Kory Parkin

Lots of potential canvas space:

maxresdefault.jpg

Link

Click to expand^^ I've quoted my idea from a couple of years ago ^ for a proposed Phase 3 (exterior concrete).

I’d still love to see a Phase 3 to address the massive exterior concrete on SkyDome ;-). And Phase 3 wouldn’t be very expensive. As the dome sits on Indigenous land long ago I sent Mark Shapiro a (brilliant ;-) idea to stage a national Indigenous-themed art competition to design mural images to cover (with paint) much of that concrete.

Blue Jays often show up in Indigenous art so there’s a nice fit there too. He never responded of course.

Mark Shapiro’s contract is up in 2026 so if the Jays underwhelm again this season… I’ll try again with the new guy (or gal? or..). ;)

Last edited:
Click to expand^^ I've quoted my idea from a couple of years ago ^ for a proposed Phase 3 (exterior concrete).

I’d still love to see a Phase 3 to address the massive exterior concrete on SkyDome ;-). And Phase 3 wouldn’t be very expensive. As the dome sits on Indigenous land long ago I sent Mark Shapiro a (brilliant ;-) idea to stage a national Indigenous-themed art competition to design mural images to cover (with paint) much of that concrete.

Blue Jays often show up in Indigenous art so there’s a nice fit there too. He never responded of course.

Mark Shapiro’s contract is up in 2026 so if the Jays underwhelm again this season… I’ll try again with the new guy (or gal? or..). ;)
Just don't call it " indigenous". Apparently, the term is generally frowned upon by native folks.

If they're gonna renovate the outside, and they should, they need to replace the windows with new ones and add more windows to the structure. More led lights & screens.

Just don't call it " indigenous". Apparently, the term is generally frowned upon by native folks.
Umm... "native folks" is making me frown a bit.

I have a number of close friends who live in a housing complex called Koo gaa da win Manitou and we've chatted about the "Indigenous/Aboriginal/First Nations/Native etc." moving goal posts issue. Some of the changing 'political correctness' of such terms comes from places like the United Nations (linguistic attempts to ensure inclusivity).

My dear friend Theresa (who lives in the housing complex with her beloved dog Trixie) told me some time ago that the term “native” is often not considered offensive, but it can be offensive for some because it's such a general term - it doesn't take into consideration distinctiveness between various indigenous/aboriginal groups. She pointed out that that even "First Nations" isn't entirely inclusive. "What term should I use?" I asked. "Theresa" she said with a wink.

It would be politically incorrect of me to type what those aforementioned friends call each other! (but funny I'll admit).

Food for thought.

Last edited:
What's wrong with this photo from South Korea?

gocheok-sky-dome-1-6814645-1710936121306.jpg

Link

From a CBC story about South Korea's consulate general in Vancouver, Canada receiving an email threatening to detonate an explosive at the Gocheok stadium during the Major League Baseball opening game between the Dodgers and the San Diego Padres scheduled to start later today (no explosives found). The threat was aimed at Los Angeles Dodgers star Shohei Ohtani.

Um...it looks like something you steam cook rice in very large volumes? 🙀

Umm... "native folks" is making me frown a bit.

I have a number of close friends who live in a housing complex called Koo gaa da win Manitou and we've chatted about the "Indigenous/Aboriginal/First Nations/Native etc." moving goal posts issue. Some of the changing 'political correctness' of such terms comes from places like the United Nations (linguistic attempts to ensure inclusivity).

My dear friend Theresa (who lives in the housing complex with her beloved dog Trixie) told me some time ago that the term “native” is often not considered offensive, but it can be offensive for some because it's such a general term - it doesn't take into consideration distinctiveness between various indigenous/aboriginal groups. She pointed out that that even "First Nations" isn't entirely inclusive. "What term should I use?" I asked. "Theresa" she said with a wink.

It would be politically incorrect of me to type what those aforementioned friends call each other! (but funny I'll admit).

Food for thought.
You're correct. Naming can be quite troublesome. I know those "politically incorrect" terms you mention as well.

What's wrong with this photo from South Korea?

gocheok-sky-dome-1-6814645-1710936121306.jpg

Link

From a CBC story about South Korea's consulate general in Vancouver, Canada receiving an email threatening to detonate an explosive at the Gocheok stadium during the Major League Baseball opening game between the Dodgers and the San Diego Padres scheduled to start later today (no explosives found). The threat was aimed at Los Angeles Dodgers star Shohei Ohtani.

The funny part is I'm pretty sure the roof isn't retractable, so I'm not sure if "sky" dome is a suitable name. They probably thought it was just a cool name and once we named our stadium to Rogers Centre, they thought "now we can use skydome if we every build a dome stadium" lol

Back