Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

After 30 years, will the Rogers Centre get a facelift or will it be replaced?

Heather Wright , Reporter, CTV News Toronto

Must be a slow news day. How do reporters get away with putting up a news article with 0 pieces of news in it?

Eventually they will need to tear down the stadium and rebuild it.

The Rogers Center is reaching a point wherein it will need to be ripped down and rebuilt. After 30 years the stadium is showing its age and you can tell that the moment you walk into concourse. Unlike Fenway and Wrigley the stadium was built in an age where concrete brutalism ruled the day. The stadium is concrete, the roof is in need of repair and it is dated.

Even the best of stadiums only last for so long before they need to be replaced.

I can see Rogers selling the stadium and the land only to rebuild it elsewhere like the Portlands or even the Toronto Islands.

I thought Rogers was pretty set on having that location, though? That the main appeal of the stadium, besides the roof, is the location?

The Rogers Center is reaching a point wherein it will need to be ripped down and rebuilt.
It may be showing its age, but the stadium was designed and built to in a manner where it could last for decades to come.

I agree in that either the stadium either needs substantial renovations or should be torn down and rebuilt. The problem with renovations is that the costs would be so significant, you might as well tear down and rebuild. Rogers is a cheap company so I can see them looking to sell a portion of the team in order to finance whatever option they choose. That or they'll just divest themselves completely of the Jays (which would be no easy task).

It may be showing its age, but the stadium was designed and built to in a manner where it could last for decades to come.

I agree in that either the stadium either needs substantial renovations or should be torn down and rebuilt. The problem with renovations is that the costs would be so significant, you might as well tear down and rebuild. Rogers is a cheap company so I can see them looking to sell a portion of the team in order to finance whatever option they choose. That or they'll just divest themselves completely of the Jays (which would be no easy task).

It would be easier than you think. There are rules prohibiting corporate ownership now so the MLB would gladly permit a sale to a non-corporate entity. The problem lies in the fact that unless you are a Saudi Prince, there is no one person who has enough money to buy the team outright.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Rogers Center is reaching a point wherein it will need to be ripped down and rebuilt. After 30 years the stadium is showing its age and you can tell that the moment you walk into concourse. Unlike Fenway and Wrigley the stadium was built in an age where concrete brutalism ruled the day. The stadium is concrete, the roof is in need of repair and it is dated.

Even the best of stadiums only last for so long before they need to be replaced.

I can see Rogers selling the stadium and the land only to rebuild it elsewhere like the Portlands or even the Toronto Islands.

I think it's time for a new stadium/entertainment area. Then knock down Rogers Center and turn that area into something great.

Rogers don't own the land - only the stadium itself.

Wouldn't the Port Lands be a better option than Downsview? Keep the team downtown(ish) and build on a clean slate?
It could spur development the same way the dome helped incentivize the rail lands

Downsview is serviced by subway, GO, highway 401 and the Allen. Building a stadium could also spur extending the Sheppard line west to Sheppard West station.

Portlands is served by nothing for the foreseeable future.

Back