Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Why??, if anything try for 60.000, Toronto (GTA) with approx. 7 million people with a 40.000 seat stadium, come-on thats a joke

Yankees stadium only holds 49,642, why would Toronto go to 60.000. A perfect size stadium should be in the 43,000 range, with a combo blue jays and Canadian baseball Hall of Fame.

Yankees stadium only holds 49,642, why would Toronto go to 60.000. A perfect size stadium should be in the 43,000 range, with a combo blue jays and Canadian baseball Hall of Fame.

Right, a baseball only stadium at that capacity (45-50.000) is ok to me, but build another one for bigger events,
(NHL Winter Classic, possible NFL franchise, Olympics, Concerts, and other large gatherings/events)

Its time not to depend on the Dome for everything

... really the rogers centre should be that everything stadium, while a new baseball stadium is built. However - I doubt we'll see a new baseball stadium for many more decades.

Right, a baseball only stadium at that capacity (45-50.000) is ok to me, but build another one for bigger events,
(NHL Winter Classic, possible NFL franchise, Olympics, Concerts, and other large gatherings/events)

Its time not to depend on the Dome for everything

That I agree with, especially in the very near future Rogers Centre will be last remaining multi purpose stadium in baseball. I think best option is for the blue jays to build a new baseball stadium and then turn Rogers Centre into an NFL stadium, for this reason the changes that I would like see for Roger Centre to turn into a basefield only would take 3 or more years to finish with out shutting down Rogers Centre

The Skydome is too small for Football. You can't fit 80,000 seats in it.

Besides, I would rather the Skydome get used more than 8 times a year.

New baseball stadium? Crazy talk. The Skydome is iconic and will always be our baseball stadium. We couldn't possibly top it. I shudder to think some people would prefer some old school stadium so we can soak in the rain or freeze to death like they did in 1922. The dome is the way to go.

1: Lots of Farmers markets in the area. Metro Centre has one, Union station (now) kinda has one, there are even booths set up along bremner (though I'm not sure if they are there on non game days). This does nothing to add to the game day experience which is kind of what we are trying to do.
2: More seating? If anything I'm looking at ways to reduce seating in the stadium, 40 000 to 45 000 should be the capacity they aim for.
3: Agree. Brick facade? Climbing Vines?
4: They have actually done a good job at bringing the game ops people out onto the street to interact with people on the way in, as well as some vendors selling souvenirs, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays there is usually something organized in the plaza on the west side
5: Not down with reducing bremner, however...
6: I'd support closing Blue Jay way from Spadina to the hotel (would need to keep access to the hotel open) as well as that small street, Navy Wharf Crt to vehicle traffic
7: Agree
8: I thought the buses do park across from bremner, however they stop along Bremner to drop off an pick up their people. Not sure how you fix that.

1- point is that the space needs to have something happening when not in use for games
2- I meant more seating outside...places to wait before the place opens, or if the security theatre lines are long...benches and stuff instead of just the stairs/planters
8 - if Bremner is one way and only a lane or two wide - you put up signs that say "kiss-n-ride/bus drop-off" with big arrows to the drop-off location...and get some rent-a-cops to warn/ticket them if the signs don't work

The Skydome is too small for Football. You can't fit 80,000 seats in it.

Besides, I would rather the Skydome get used more than 8 times a year.

Most new NFL stadiums range from 68,000 in the Colts and 49ers news stadiums to 82,000 for the New York Giants and Jets stadium. I think a good size for Toronto would be 70,000 to 73,000. Can't remember where I read it, but if you get rid of the hotel (buy out current owners) you can add 8,000 to 10,000 and if you dig down a couple of levels you can add another 10,000 seats.

New baseball stadium? Crazy talk. The Skydome is iconic and will always be our baseball stadium. We couldn't possibly top it. I shudder to think some people would prefer some old school stadium so we can soak in the rain or freeze to death like they did in 1922. The dome is the way to go.

There is nothing iconic about the Rogers centre other then that it should have never build the way it was which was let's put everything in it. You still can have a roof like Millar Park and Safeco Field

As nice a stadium as Safeco Field is, I think the roof only protects from the rain. If people are worried about the cold in April, or October, then it wouldn't do. Of course, if you're going to put a roof on the thing, you might as well just stick with the Rogers Centre.

Still, imagine if the Blue Jays had a PNC style stadium to play in?

pnc_park_view.jpg

... Minnesota's stadium has no roof, and actually has heated seats and warming areas. The field is also heated.

Wow! That view is breathtaking! Let's build a new stadium on the island with the outfield facing downtown and extend the 1 line south across the lake.

Last edited:
Wow! That view is breathtaking! Let's build a new stadium on the island with the outfield facing downtown and extend the 1 line south across the lake.

And maybe throw in some real architecture on our waterfront so we actually have something nice to look at from the island.

Back