Toronto River City Condos Phases 1 & 2 | ?m | 16s | Urban Capital | ZAS Architects

The bridge between the buildings - cropped from the WT webcam:

RiverCityBridgeCropped.jpg

AoD

does anybody have any idea when they are going to start on phase 2?

Got an update in the mail from Urban Capital regarding expected occupancy dates for Phase 1 (just for the River Street building at this time), and they start the end of Feb 2013. In the letter, it mentioned that Phase 2 should be starting construction this September, since its almost 70% sold now.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I can't imagine why they would complete the pool area, as they're start to build phase 2 right against it? Makes as much sense as completing Underpass Park, and then patching up the Gardiner.

How much shopping can one city do, though? If all the dreary, arterial roads in our boring suburbs were lined with as many lively retail and cultural attractions as our best downtown streets are would there be enough demand to support it?
It's not about how much shopping you can do, it's about having basic services and an attractive main street for the new neighbourhood. Front Street in the West Don Lands has the potential to be one of Toronto's best downtown streets, no different from Parliament or Queen. A new downtown neighbourhood that's nothing but residential is little better than a suburban subdivision. While I don't see any reason for retail to be required on River Street, it absolutely should be on Front or Queen.

Suburban arterials are a whole different beast than downtown main streets for too many reasons to list here.

Yes, I was responding to Torontvibe's suggestion that "It's too bad all of River Street is not lined with retail". But Queen East has a mix, including some retail, west of the Don Valley, and I don't see many opportunities to evict non-retail users there to create more shopping opportunities. Front's a different story, you're right.

I believe that the street-level units are zoned live/work so there might be a higher level of public engagement on the street than conventional townhouses. As well, the minimal amount of grade seperation lends these units to easy conversion should the zoning change in the future to allow higher levels of activity. Those who have been to an underground restaurant know that you don't need an obvious street presence to be in business. And anyone insisting that these units, which face onto a fairly well used route in what will be a desireable neighbourhood, won't attract business minded owners is niave or living in the 1960s. So I think that regardless of what the zoning may say, there will be activity along this stretch.

Last edited:

Back