Toronto River City Condos Phases 1 & 2 | ?m | 16s | Urban Capital | ZAS Architects

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2,072
  • IMG_2378.JPG
    IMG_2378.JPG
    694.2 KB · Views: 2,052
  • IMG_2375.JPG
    IMG_2375.JPG
    885.5 KB · Views: 2,025
  • IMG_2374.JPG
    IMG_2374.JPG
    734.5 KB · Views: 2,016
  • IMG_2373.JPG
    IMG_2373.JPG
    734.5 KB · Views: 178
River City Phase 2 is somewhat remarkable for being, in my estimation at least, the ugliest construction in the city, but one which, once they get it clad, will be utterly transformed. A swan is coming I expect, but for now…

River City Phase 2 is somewhat remarkable for being, in my estimation at least, the ugliest construction in the city, but one which, once they get it clad, will be utterly transformed. A swan is coming I expect, but for now…

Really? I find it to already be more attractive, or at least more visually engaging than a lot of stuff we see go up; the stacking effect is already very pronounced and crisp. That said, I can't wait to see it completed.

I agree that it's visually engaging, but not because it's beautiful currently! It's all the plywood up there mixed in with the insulation and that Extreme Architecture ad thrown into the mix that looks ugly to me right now. Bring on the cladding!

I don't know about the quality of the interior but I love how these buildings look and the fact that they are environmentally friendly! Can’t wait to see Phase 3!

The interiors have always had concrete ceilings. Why would the balcony undersides be painted if the interior ceilings are not?

Maybe because they look terribly stained and it would look much better if they were painted white or black. There is no way I would be happy sitting on my balcony and seeing a dirty, stained ceiling just above me. It would just bug the hell out of me. I like materials to look finished, not left raw like that but I realize not everybody likes a sleek, polished finish. Some people like dirty, stained concrete, I just can't figure out why.

The interiors have always had concrete ceilings. Why would the balcony undersides be painted if the interior ceilings are not?

Stained raw concrete is ugly. I don't care what finish they use--the status quo is unacceptable. Raw architectural concrete can be precast or sandblasted and sealed to have a clean finish. If it's just unfinished poured concrete, it won't stand the test of time whether inside or outside.

Maybe because they look terribly stained and it would look much better if they were painted white or black. There is no way I would be happy sitting on my balcony and seeing a dirty, stained ceiling just above me. It would just bug the hell out of me. I like materials to look finished, not left raw like that but I realize not everybody likes a sleek, polished finish. Some people like dirty, stained concrete, I just can't figure out why.

On the contrary. I get that lots of poured concrete ceilings and balconies are splotchy as hell, but at its best, many would choose concrete specifically for its sleek, clean finish and neutral tones.

Examples:

http://www.dwell.com/houses-we-love/slideshow/open-plan-concrete-home-japan

http://www.dwell.com/house-tours/slideshow/material-focus-concrete

http://design-milk.com/interior-design-12-concrete-interiors/

Last edited:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 1,533
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 1,540
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 1,510
It looks like they're finally mounting the white panels, which are hidden under the protective plastic wrap, visible on the first two floors above the bare concrete. The windows with the fade to white look nice on the edges... I think. It will be hard to tell until it's done.

Back