Toronto River City Condos Phases 1 & 2 | ?m | 16s | Urban Capital | ZAS Architects

You expect Saucier+Perrotte to cover up bare concrete? No way.

They always showcase exposed concrete in their designs, and with the colours and motifs they pair it with, I wouldn't want the concrete to be covered!

Over time, it will probably get stained, and weathering will reveal all the imperfections. If an architect doesn't deal with this issue after at least 60 years of modernist architecture, and instead clings to the romancing of concrete, it seems naive on his or her part. Exposed concrete can look good in the right places on a building and with the right treatment, but generic balcony slabs generally don't receive such attention as the concrete cladding on many a Brutalist building.

6 December 2012: Best-looking project ever built in Toronto east of Yonge Street?

20121206155759.jpg

20121206155939.jpg

Curtain-wall is a system that supports itself, off of the structure's floorplate. What you see there, from what I can tell, is simply a window system that doesn't use mullion caps on the exterior.

6 December 2012: Best-looking project ever built in Toronto east of Yonge Street?

In modern history, yes it's definitely up there. I still wouldn't compare it to some of the fantastic commercial and industrial architecture from the late 19c east of Yonge though.

And L Tower, while shaping up to be fantastic, still doesn't have the level of refinement as this design. River City is architecture for grown-ups.

Back