Toronto RioCan Golden Mile | 162.05m | 47s | RioCan | Kirkor

I think the new layout is better than the initial one. It feels more street-facing as opposed to inward-facing. Am I off-base? Thoughts?

When even the renders are this bad, the reality is going to be grim.
The layout of the 'hood is far better now, but at this stage we're only looking at master planning, no? I'd imagine that not a single one of those buildings is meant to be realized as rendered, that those are all placeholders… but in the meantime, RioCan have not yet created a portfolio of architectural standouts that would obviate our concerns in that regard, I just don't believe we've been shown anything that shows any of them with their intended individual designs yet.

I'm happy that we are getting real development that could directly tackle our housing crisis while intensifying an underutilized corridor with strong transit access in the city. That said, I can't help but lament that the prevailing development pattern of the day are these mega-block hulking podium-tower developments. It sure beats a wasteland of parking lots, but it won't create the feel of a downtown area.

At least here in these lands, a large park will be included in the project.

Golden Mile is gonna become a vertical suburb, no more and no less. It’s great that it will be transit-friendly, don’t get me wrong. But with massive lots and a monotonic built form, it won’t ever be a vibrant or lively place to live. It will feel cold, hulking, and way less dense than it actually is.

This isn’t the way proper cities are built, it just isn’t. It makes me sad to watch it happen, honestly

The layout of the 'hood is far better now, but at this stage we're only looking at master planning, no? I'd imagine that not a single one of those buildings is meant to be realized as rendered, that those are all placeholders… but in the meantime, RioCan have not yet created a portfolio of architectural standouts that would obviate our concerns in that regard, I just don't believe we've been shown anything that shows any of them with their intended individual designs yet.

This application is only to establish site-specific policies in relation to height, density, and building location within the Official Plan and Golden Mile Secondary Plan. Future zoning and site plan approval applications will be submitted that will have more refined renderings and elevations. There will probably be multiple phased SPA applications over the coming years as I expect there will be multiple phases.

Sampling going on for a few days now

20210323_115754.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Planning Rationale Report:

1628793946643.png

1628794103574.png

On Housing: (note that it appears rental is being considered)

1628794329617.png

1628794398573.png

1628794428233.png

1628794477363.png

1628794507453.png

Also of note from the report, the description of the adjacent proposal for the Cosmetica Site.

1628794710129.png

Cosmetica not moving, but instead getting a six-storey industrial building on-site!

Ignoring the architecture for a moment................yah, I know.........

There are actually a couple of redeeming ideas here......

The larger than normal park, consolidated as one usable space.
1.94ha (just shy of 5 acres)

A couple of the streets actually have double-rows of trees with enough soil volume to create majestic trees over time.
Also they seem to be heading for mixed tenure (at least some rental) and open to affordable housing.
There's also over 40,000ft2 of retail; though said retail is not configured to support a supermarket, which begs the question of where the existing one will go when its phase comes up.

Now.......the actual architecture.............I don't have much nice to say about...........there's some brick? LOL

Back