Vaughan RioCan Colossus Centre Redevelopment | ?m | 55s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

I have to be honest, this is upsetting as it's really the only close theatre to me. It's a shame it's coming down.
I have only been hearing of theatres being torn down with no replacements in the wings. The Well was supposed to get one and they took it out of the plans.

yeah seems like netflix and the other platforms are killing theatres off.
And the fact you can buy a 70 inch tv for reasonable amount of money. I love theatres. On the other hand I hate $10 pop corn. Hard to complain about the cost of living but then at the same time be willing to spend $100 a month on movie and sports concessions.

I have only been hearing of theatres being torn down with no replacements in the wings. The Well was supposed to get one and they took it out of the plans.
There was never a signed deal for a theatre at The Well. The economics of it never made sense (from the point of view of a major national theatre chain) and it wasn't seriousily pursued. The developers may have wanted an all VIP cinema concept (a la Shops at Don Mills) but there was never a business case for it.

There are and have been replacement theatres planned for STC and RioCan Hall downtown but for sure the replacments are smaller than the originals due to recent trends in cinema attendance. And of course that was before the last two years where cinema patterns have drastically changed.

I would very much expect a smaller scale replacement, if not in this development, than near Vaughan Mills. However, considering this is RioCan and the relationship they have with a major national cinema chain, I would very much expect one here eventually if this all goes through This location was not suffering from lack of attendance over the last few years.

Last edited:
Time to build the VLR... the Vaughan Light Railway!

1661974754435.png

1661974829665.png

First would be a Highway 7 leg. Then maybe Keele St, and Langstaff. Maybe Weston, including going down into Toronto. If hyper density is what we need to cool the housing crisis without dealing with NIMBYs, then this would be the place to do it. The DLR was built before the redevelopment of the docklands. It would be advantageous to build something similar here and have it in operation before people move in, so that Vaughan can axe parking minimums and not create a vertical suburb.
(It would be better to plow right though the middle rather then use Highway 7, to be in the middle of development, but that would be hard unless the city mandates that room is saved for that. Because tunneling would make this whole operation way more pricey.)

Last edited:
View attachment 424226

Now that's what I'm talking about!

View attachment 424227

Wait... why go through this effort and not just make it light metro from the get-go?
Because in short, it wouldnt make any sense.

But you never know, we do things that dont make any sense a lot of times when it comes to transit infrastructure so maybe your dream will come true.

Because in short, it wouldnt make any sense.

But you never know, we do things that dont make any sense a lot of times when it comes to transit infrastructure so maybe your dream will come true.

Makes more sense then building a massive grade-separated transit scheme to then only be used by busses, which still have high operating costs due to needing drivers, won't be able to offer good frequency off-peak, and won't spur any high-density development at all years after its built... (The GTA already has too many examples of this.)

View attachment 424226

Now that's what I'm talking about!

View attachment 424227

Wait... why go through this effort and not just make it light metro from the get-go?

It won't be either in the near-term future.

There are lots of projects ahead of it in the queue for funding.

When we get to the 407 transitway, it may well be built as rail; but that won't be in the 2020s.

In the meantime there's a BRT (VIVA) on Highway 7 that runs sporadically, How about we see if we can get them to run buses every 5M in peak periods and 10M off-peak before we worry about demand for higher-order transit.

It won't be either in the near-term future.

There are lots of projects ahead of it in the queue for funding.

When we get to the 407 transitway, it may well be built as rail; but that won't be in the 2020s.

In the meantime there's a BRT (VIVA) on Highway 7 that runs sporadically, How about we see if we can get them to run buses every 5M in peak periods and 10M off-peak before we worry about demand for higher-order transit.

That's exactly what I mean! We build these things but can't seem to actually run them...

Back