Toronto Richmond Adelaide Centre: EY Tower | 188.05m | 40s | Oxford Properties | Kohn Pedersen Fox

interesting idea - mixed use of office and residential. I am drawing a blank on whether this combination currently exists in any large scale buildings in Toronto. Anybody have any insight on that?
I only have three towers listed as mixed use (residential & office) on the 400 Foot List, none are complete.

yep good call Ed, though there seems to unanimity on this forum that LuCliffe should be blown up... but that has nothing to do with the usage of the building.

There's a few smaller buildings around the city with office on the lower floors and residential on the upper. As far as I can tell, they're universally hideous (if there's one that isn't, please correct me) simply because the architects designed the different parts of the building differently so the whole thing clashes with itself. There's one on Yonge north of Davenport.

Richmond-Adelaide_2.JPG

A slight change to the design, but a finalized rendering would offer a better idea of how this one will look. Overall the plan for the site sounds like it stands a good chance of happening.

The massing of the project is a little awkward - it would be nice to have more separation from the Concourse Building and being a taller, sans setback. That said, certainly a huge improvement over the previous proposal.

AoD

From what I can tell, the most interesting feature on this building, judging by the elevations, is the pertruding section towards the top that encompasses 6-7 floors.

There's a few smaller buildings around the city with office on the lower floors and residential on the upper. As far as I can tell, they're universally hideous (if there's one that isn't, please correct me) simply because the architects designed the different parts of the building differently so the whole thing clashes with itself. There's one on Yonge north of Davenport.

Yeah, the one next door to the Masonic's the lowest of the low--and like LuCliff, the office/residential divide is lateral, not vertical. (And 920 Yonge to the north, that brick 70s thing, is also office-residential combo--vertical this time--and I think the residential was built some years after the offices.)

And over at Yonge & Eligible, there's a fair number--at least 3 on Holly Street alone. (They're best when they observe a classic-modernist tower-on-podium composition: office podium, apartment tower, no fuss.)

From what I can tell, the most interesting feature on this building, judging by the elevations, is the pertruding section towards the top that encompasses 6-7 floors.

I agree! Hopefully its something similar to the sky gardens in the Behnisch and co. CCBR at U of T...that building is one of Toronto's true gems, totally eclipsing 'Foster's' Pharmacy building which I deem to be Foster Lite.

Anybody have any insight on that?

920 Yonge, 40 Soudan, Renaissance Plaza, 120 Saint Patrick, Holiday Inn on King (hotel instead of residential)

I agree! Hopefully its something similar to the sky gardens in the Schmitt and Schmitt (sp?) CCBR at U of T...that building is one of Toronto's true gems, totally eclipsing 'Foster's' Pharmacy building which I deem to be Foster Lite.

Actually CCBR is by Behnisch Architekten and aA.

AoD

interesting idea - mixed use of office and residential. I am drawing a blank on whether this combination currently exists in any large scale buildings in Toronto. Anybody have any insight on that?

Yeah, the one next door to the Masonic's the lowest of the low--and like LuCliff, the office/residential divide is lateral, not vertical. (And 920 Yonge to the north, that brick 70s thing, is also office-residential combo--vertical this time--and I think the residential was built some years after the offices.)

And over at Yonge & Eligible, there's a fair number--at least 3 on Holly Street alone. (They're best when they observe a classic-modernist tower-on-podium composition: office podium, apartment tower, no fuss.)

920 Yonge, 40 Soudan, Renaissance Plaza, 120 Saint Patrick, Holiday Inn on King (hotel instead of residential)

There's always that little ole Queens Quay Terminal. It was not built with the condos on top originally, (of course), but they certainly sit back nicely on top and add a modern crown to the complex. Zeidler.

So is this just a facade of the concourse building, or is the original building with all of its internal floors left intact for potential residential use?

If the latter is true, that's an awesome taste of the future. Giant structures enveloping the already-dense downtown. Even if this isn't very tall, it's cool to see the city growing vertically.

Back