Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

When I go to the Ritz-Carlton in Montreal or Paris, I feel elegant and special as soon as I was inside the door. I did not feel this way at this Ritz, rather like I was in a recently refurbished Sheraton. Where has all the glamour gone???

Well I'm curious then, show us some pictures of the one in montreal or paris.

Looking at above there are some really impressive elements but to a certain degree I can see why someone may find it underwheliming, but not too sure what they're comparing it too.

When I go to the Ritz-Carlton in Montreal or Paris, I feel elegant and special as soon as I was inside the door. I did not feel this way at this Ritz, rather like I was in a recently refurbished Sheraton. Where has all the glamour gone???

Those hotels are from a different era, when hotels were built with over the top opulence and grandeur. Now a days 5 star hotels resemble contemporary art galleries. very minimalist and sterile, I have been in million dollar mansions that look the same way.

And 6 and 7-star hotels can (and frequently do) look over the top with their decor. Look no further than Dubai to see what some decorators are guilty of.

6 and 7 stars? What do they do at these places- spoon feed you hot buttered kippers in bed? Why not just keep 5 the highest, I mean if there are now 7 star places then surely very soon there will be 10 stars because it just sounds much better.

The decor is generally tasteful, and some elements of the interior are definitely classy and elegant, but I still say it is too understated and ordinary to come across as particularly special.

I'm building an 11 star hotel. Only hotels in places like Dubai bill them selves 6 star or 7 star hotels. The maximum rating is 5 stars or diamonds.

'Six' and 'seven star' hotels

Some members of the hospitality industry have claimed a six or seven-star rating for their operation. As no organization or formal body awards or recognizes any rating over five star deluxe,[8] such claims are meaningless and predominantly used for advertising purposes. The Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai is widely described as a "seven-star" property, but the hotel says the label originates from an unnamed British journalist on a press trip and that they neither encourage its use nor do they use it in their advertising.[9]

Star (classification) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_(classification)#Standards_of_hotel_classification

I'm building an 11 star hotel.

For rock stars, I presume

spinaltap-11.jpg

6 and 7 stars? What do they do at these places- spoon feed you hot buttered kippers in bed?

Actually and honestly, yes....yes they will. Personally that would bother me, I don't want to be spoon fed, but if you wanted them to they would for sure. Thats the 7 star experience apparently some of my wealthier friends tell me, at least at the Burj Dubai or whatever its called.

+ star hotels, if they exist , would be out of my range anyway. I'll have to settle that these rumoured places bring something interesting to the streetscape and cityscape though, and the Ritz-Carlton does that for me. A few years back I stayed at the Ritz in Montreal, thinking I was in for something special, and was disappointed in that over-rated place. Toronto uses Montreal as a reference point, as Montreal does Toronto. Two very different cities, and aren't we lucky for that.

Well I'm curious then, show us some pictures of the one in montreal or paris.

Looking at above there are some really impressive elements but to a certain degree I can see why someone may find it underwheliming, but not too sure what they're comparing it too.

I don't have interior shots, but for reference, this is The Ritz in Paris: http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&sour...R4eooNFXqGCTVlbRkGZLbg&cbp=12,274.82,,0,-5.18

Have to say, I think the TO version looks pretty good--like a nicely designed high-end modern hotel, that isn't over the top. Isn't that the idea?

I'm quite surprised at some of the not so good reviews on this hotel. In Dallas, where I live, the Ritz Carlton, which is fairly new as well, is a horrendous short and stumpy building.

Back