Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Forget opening for the Film Festival, these guys might get shut down for a while, whilst this is investigated....

Apparently they have known for quite a while now that it would not be open in time for TIFF. This accident is unlikely to slow down work on the hotel as it's all going on inside, and far below where this happened. The Ritz is scheduled to open in November.

by chance I was just reading the article "agian" looks like Traynor and I misread it anyways. The person commenting didn't state that the glass at the Ritz was damaged, he stated that the building the transfomer came off of was damaged, as was the roof glass of the same building.

I work at the building that the transformer fell from. I was 20 ft. away from the entire accident on the roof. I wonder why there is no mention of the crane piece that tipped over smashing in the glass roof that the transformer fell off of.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/st...tion-debris-simcoe-park479.html#ixzz0xZLVCzw9

why didnt they use an external crane set up. they must have known how difficult it would be to get the crane off the roof, when all was said and done...

4539496891_db9c2fa216_b.jpg

I don't think this had anything to do with the location of the crane.

All I can tell you is that a chain, in use in some way to allow the derrick to remove the crane, snapped. That sent the transformer flying over the south side. The transformer missed the condo lobby deck halfway up the building, but hit the ice guard over the patio. There is some smashed glass from that. I visited the site this afternoon. It is not particularly messy from all of this, and it should be cleaned up quickly.

by chance I was just reading the article "agian" looks like Traynor and I misread it anyways. The person commenting didn't state that the glass at the Ritz was damaged, he stated that the building the transfomer came off of was damaged, as was the roof glass of the same building.

I work at the building that the transformer fell from. I was 20 ft. away from the entire accident on the roof. I wonder why there is no mention of the crane piece that tipped over smashing in the glass roof that the transformer fell off of.

HUH????

Cal I think you need to reread that article.

The incident occurred as crews worked on construction on the south side of the planned Ritz-Carlton hotel complex at 181 Wellington St. W. Employees at the adjacent CBC Broadcast Centre heard a loud crash at around 10:45 a.m.

Crews were dismantling a crane involved in the construction, when a transformer on the crane fell into the park area

The transformer that fell was from the Ritz crane, therefore the building and the glass roof that guy was referring to IS the Ritz.

Fair to say either way, the damage is not that great to the Ritz, as someone on the ground would have no idea what impact the transformer falling would have on the roof structure of a building 200 meters up from his position.

Just wait till the pictures are in, if they come in at all, to gauge the extent of the damage.

Caltrane - you do get that the transformer fell all the way to the ground, right? As I said above, it hit the Ice Guard that protects the Ritz's patio.

I might as well add that I didn't bother with any pictures here: there was virtually nothing to see by the time I was there (about 3:15 PM), although I was told it was still there (not cleaned up).

Caltrane - you do get that the transformer fell all the way to the ground, right? As I said above, it hit the Ice Guard that protects the Ritz's patio.

I might as well add that I didn't bother with any pictures here: there was virtually nothing to see by the time I was there (about 3:15 PM), although I was told it was still there (not cleaned up).

I had gotten the idea, that the transformer had somehow damaged the Ritz's glass roof. Not the patio level Ice Guard.

oops.

The transformer fell onto Simcoe Park the site of the Injured Workers Memorial beside the WSIB building.(Workplace Safety and Insurance Board)

CBC article:

Transformer falls 53 storeys downtown
Last Updated: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 | 2:35 PM ET.

tp-construction-simcoe.jpg

A metal transformer fell several stories onto a grassy area in Simcoe Park near Wellington and Front Streets Monday morning. (Priya Sankaran/CBC)

Crews have cordoned off a public space on Front Street West and John Street in dowtown Toronto after a piece of construction equipment fell 53 storeys onto a grassy area.

The incident occurred as crews worked on construction on the south side of the planned Ritz-Carlton hotel complex at 181 Wellington St. W. Employees at the adjacent CBC Broadcast Centre heard a loud crash at around 10:45 a.m.

Crews were dismantling a crane involved in the construction, when a transformer on the crane fell into the park area, CBC building management said in a note to employees. The park area is inside Simcoe Park, which is typically filled with people having lunch around the noon hour.

The area has been secured, and people are being asked not to enter the site.

No one was hurt.

The Ministry of Labour has sent an inspector to investigate.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/st...tion-debris-simcoe-park479.html#ixzz0xdfMq2c6

Last edited:
It would serve him right. Live by Irony...

Back