Toronto Residences at the RCMI Condos | 134.72m | 42s | Tribute | Zeidler

Friday:

IMG_3546.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3546.jpg
    IMG_3546.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,438
As some may remember, I'm a huge fan of University Ave. and this building fits like a glove. A slim, fresh, modern residential tower that is nicely executed and that will add a little bit of life after 7pm is a good thing. I'm not sure about the reconstruction yet, time will tell. Although photographed beautifully here this is a building that is more dramatic in person than in photos.

As some may remember, I'm a huge fan of University Ave. and this building fits like a glove. A slim, fresh, modern residential tower that is nicely executed and that will add a little bit of life after 7pm is a good thing. I'm not sure about the reconstruction yet, time will tell. Although photographed beautifully here this is a building that is more dramatic in person than in photos.

I think the center islands throughout University could use a little surprising up, it wouldn't take much, maybe a couple million for everything, replace some of paving stones and seating.

One thing though is some of the areas tend to attract homeless, particularly at night, I think extra lighting would help discourage that

One thing though is some of the areas tend to attract homeless, particularly at night, I think extra lighting would help discourage that

Out of sight, out of mind. I'd rather we focused our energies on alleviating homelessness than making sure there's no appealing spot for them to sleep. God forbid we'd have to actually look at them.

All lighting would do is lighten the conscience of some people because then they can pretend that these people don't exist.

Last edited:
Out of sight, out of mind. I'd rather we focused our energies on alleviating homelessness than making sure there's no appealing spot for them to sleep. God forbid we'd have to actually look at them.

+1. Not to mention that they are homeless people, not "homeless". The flippant disregard for the fact that homeless people are people too is not only clear from his opinion but even in the language he uses.

25 May 2014: I really think this building fails to engage the most at street level. It really looks like one of those 1950s bungalows that have been jacked to mcmansion-style proportions you see popping up around Mimico these days, you know where they leave a bit of the good old bits intact.
lP47V2y.jpg

Perhaps an aA-style design similar to their "Temple Distillery District" as I call it would have been better--you know those cheeky concrete pillars, lotsa glass and setback the old facade from the street.

All lighting would do is lighten the conscience of some people because then they can pretend that these people don't exist.

I'm on the fence about this attitude, of course if there is no where else for them to go, then sure, but if they chose to live on the streets, as opposed to a shelter (and there are many factors here, mental health issues for one). In many other cities, they will actually forcefully remove anyone who sleeps in the streets, you'll notice this in parts of New York and London ... many others. Though if you've ever been to San Francisco, you'll notice the opposite, where there are many many folks who do sleep / live outside.

'Pretending they don't exist' is terrible I agree, but for many folks this is required otherwise said area is seen as undesirable (not saying that's the case here) but it is a general point, and say we want to revitalize an area and want to invest money in hopes of getting an area to grow (by moving for folks / business / retail to the area).

This is not the right thread for this discussion. There are better threads for this in the Toronto Issues section, such as

Taken from the steps of Queens Park on Sunday:

4xJaHxh.jpg

photo by me

Kinda weird that the walk up to Queens Park doesn't line up with the center median of University. Bugs me more than it should.

Back