Toronto Regent Theatre Redevelopment | 15.7m | 3s | Terra Bruce Productions Inc | NORR

Star write up on the above: https://www.thestar.com/real-estate...cle_8b9c02e6-08af-11ef-b5bd-df750b679ff4.html

Imagine your neighbourhood could be getting a Siamak Hariri theatre renovation and you're fighting the effing thing at the OLT?

I don't agree w/this being fought for practical reasons.

But as someone who really enjoyed watching movies in that cinema growing up, I do feel its a shame to lose it. And it is important to say, its a loss, not a renovation. This will be a new build behind the old facade with a few artifacts brought back in to the interior.

Its a lovely proposal, btw. But it doesn't really retain the heritage here.

I support it, however, from the perspective that its continuing on as a one-screen movie house is not viable, at least as a for-profit operation; and the building does have challenges in terms of needs for repairs and accessibility that no one can justify pouring money into except via government grant, which there isn't here.

So, opposing it doesn't serve to keep the existing and this is about as nice a replacement as you're going to get.

Last edited:
Note to locals: It could be a lot worse.

1715271799739.png

Source

To their credit, they kept the marquee complete with the old backlit lettering. It's pretty rare that chains resist the opportunity to plaster their garish signage all over a building. Window film is unfortunate though.

I am getting very cynical about these groups. This is nothing that an envelope of cash wouldn’t solve! 🤔

Back