Toronto Regent Park: Phases 4 and 5 | 134.1m | 39s | Tridel | Karakusevic Carson Architects

Context.

IMG_8684.jpeg

IMG_8685.jpeg

IMG_8686.jpeg

Wow. It may sound absurd, but its strange to think this area will one day be redeveloped and it's past as an early urban renewal plan will be mostly forgotten. I may not have much of any experience around this part of town, but it'll be odd still to see these earlier apartment structures knocked down, as they're a rarity for the region.

WHOA!!! Thanks for an amazingly comprehensive tour of Regent Park. Well done!
Thank you.

It was mostly to satisfy my own curiosity after seeing @skycandy 's wonderful photos from yesterday.

Regent Park is an amazing development that, to quote @Northern Light, we need more of in Toronto.

Not to be off topic, but in all the excitement, I want to note that the project up near Jane/Finch is still unfunded (after they demolished the old townhomes no less); and there are so many other TCHC communities that would benefit from this type of exercise that aren't even getting planning money.

If this level of care and detail were applied to renewing Cataraqui Crescent (Warden north of Danforth); Chester Li (VP north of Finch); Jamestown up in the Albion area; the entire set of buildings around Kingston/Lawrence/Galloway, Godstone Manor and many more, significant new purpose-built rental, affordable ownership, some new RGI could all be added, along with creating much nicer buildings and communities for residents.

I was at the Architecture and Right to Housing lecture last night at Daniels, with Paul Karakusevic as one of the key speakers. The talk was great.

Paul mentioned that the first TWO buildings have been awarded and are in the DD phases. I know Cobe and AA were selected for the first building. Are they also enlisted for the 2nd?

I was at the Architecture and Right to Housing lecture last night at Daniels, with Paul Karakusevic as one of the key speakers. The talk was great.

Paul mentioned that the first TWO buildings have been awarded and are in the DD phases. I know Cobe and AA were selected for the first building. Are they also enlisted for the 2nd?
There are indeed different architects aboard (a good local one) for latter buildings in this phase.

Hopefully after demolition of those old apartment blocks all the lovely red-brown bricks are re-purposed there or even somewhere else because I think they look just great!

Back