Toronto Regent Park Central Park & Aquatic Centre | ?m | ?s | TCHC | MJMA

October 10, 2012

rpsunset.jpg

I was in the place today. It is hard to believe this is Regent Park! Do people remember what this place looked like 10 years ago? 5 years ago? It was Toronto's version of Cabrini-Green. And now there's a Bistro in what used to be the ghetto. Daniels has done a very good job on this one so far. I wish the were already on Phase 5 right now, but the transformation has been pretty amazing.
I remember. Back in 1998 when I moved to Cabbagetown the RP area was a real slum. The redevelopment is fantastic.

As for Sharia accommodations at the pool (including women only swimming, and shades on the windows to prevent those outside from seeing in - both of which were pushed by Pam McConnell), we need to accept that this is the new normal. Anyone who challenges this could see a Human Rights Tribunal challenge. So, peepers, you're just going to have to accept the fact that Islam is here to stay and reasonable accommodations will be required.

Last edited:
Photos taken on 3 November 2012

IMG_1235-L.jpg

IMG_1237-L.jpg

IMG_1236-L.jpg

This is a takeout window attached to the Bistro on Dundas in the Paintbox Building.

IMG_1238-L.jpg

IMG_1239-L.jpg

IMG_1243-L.jpg

IMG_1244-L.jpg

IMG_1245-L.jpg

IMG_1246-L.jpg

IMG_1247-L.jpg

A lot of the renovations seem to have made the basement level more useable.

IMG_1250-L.jpg

IMG_1251-L.jpg

IMG_1252-L.jpg

IMG_1253-XL.jpg

IMG_1261-L.jpg

The new street grid is putting Dickinson's buildings at interesting angles compared to the surrounding area. I briefly thought that in another universe these might make for amazing condo conversions.

IMG_1260-L.jpg

This is really coming together. Looks great.

As the risk of taking this off track...

As for Sharia accommodations at the pool (including women only swimming, and shades on the windows to prevent those outside from seeing in - both of which were pushed by Pam McConnell), we need to accept that this is the new normal. Anyone who challenges this could see a Human Rights Tribunal challenge. So, peepers, you're just going to have to accept the fact that Islam is here to stay and reasonable accommodations will be required.

At what point is this unreasonable accommodation. Keep religion out of our public facilities.

RiverCity, as you just pointed out yourself, our veterans fought to preserve our freedoms. This includes religious freedom. Maybe dial the islamophobia down a little.

Rdaner, great photo update, thank you. I too wish the Dickinson high-rises could stick around. There's nothing quite like them.

Wow, calling me names that like is uncalled for. Don't you think that's a bit harsh of a term to be used on UT, considering that reasonable Muslims who actually like Canada and Canadian ways do NOT agree with these laws. Throwing the "you are racists" card around like that because my friends and family don't want taxpayer funded facilities to be run by extreme religious organizations is a low blow. I have a close Muslim friend, that I consider a sister actually, and she is scared of backwards Sharia laws. That's WHY she moved here from the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. And she doesn't think in the slightest that the City should be promoting Sharia laws with our money.

And I'm pretty sure that my grandfather fought against this type of fascism in WWII. Wake up people. Keep religion out of public facilities. Because it's a really nice facility that we enjoyed over the weekend :) Check it out!

Absolutely agree with you rivercity. Sharia law is medieval and outdated and barbaric and has no place in a country that views women as equals. If its practiced in someones house, they can do what they want, but bringing it in to publicly funded and owned buildings is absolute nonsense and should be prevented. Whats next, bringing back the equally antiquated laws of the Catholic church and banning birth control or condoms in public health facilities?? That being said its also a democracy, so I suppose if the residents of the area have a majority they can do what they wish, although I know most people want to continue with the separation of church and state as much as possible.

Wow, calling me names that like is uncalled for.

He didn't.

Don't you think that's a bit harsh of a term to be used on UT, considering that reasonable Muslims who actually like Canada and Canadian ways do NOT agree with these laws.

No. You used the phrase 'islamic fascist sharia laws' to describe perfectly reasonable alterations to the traditional North American aquatic facility. If anyone should be accused of using 'harsh term,' it'd be you.

Throwing the "you are racists" card around like that because my friends and family don't want taxpayer funded facilities to be run by extreme religious organizations is a low blow.

He didn't. He rightly called you out for exactly what you were preaching, namely, to fear an 'extreme religious organization' which imposes 'islamic fascist sharia laws' on 'true' Canadians.

I have a close Muslim friend, that I consider a sister actually, and she is scared of backwards Sharia laws.

Sure, you and Rush Limbaugh. There are many aspects of hard line, fundamentalist Sharia Law that many should fear [and it seems your friend does]. Ablution stations, female-only swim times and curtains on the windows just aren't in that league.

That's WHY she moved here from the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. And she doesn't think in the slightest that the City should be promoting Sharia laws with our money.

Did you tell her what has actually been installed in the facility? It seems to me that unless she is actively turning her back on Islam, she should be in favour of these very modest accommodations (i.e. unless you have an axe to grind, why get so hot and bothered about it?). What's more, your implicit tying of the Regent Park facility to things like limb amputation and acid in the face only makes clear your misunderstanding the difference between fundamentalist and non-fundamentalist Islam.

And I'm pretty sure that my grandfather fought against this type of fascism in WWII. Wake up people. Keep religion out of public facilities.

He surely did and is a hero because of it. The problem is that we've all 'woken up' while it seems your slumbering to the tune of right-wing American talk radio.

Because it's a really nice facility that we enjoyed over the weekend :) Check it out!

Glad you did!

Reasonable accommodations, such as women-only swim times (with curtains drawn during those times) are simply that, and not Sharia! Women-only swim times are not unique to Regent Park either, but other public and private pools all over Canada.

Look, there is a vast difference between allowing women only swim times (a non-religious based scheduling decision) and having to actually close the curtains so a few men don't get too excited. Im sorry but I disagree with any religious based decisions being applied to public facilities. Where does the line between church and state get drawn. I'm a very tolerant person, my dad does work for amnesty international, and my sister did her MA on some issue of feminist theory. I have no problem with religion unless it it is in my face or disruptive. Personally my viewpoint on this would be keep the religious applications at home where they belong. A right to freedom of religion is not the same thing as implementing religious traditions and rules in public spaces. There is a line that is being crossed, and we should tread carefully. Its great to be tolerant, and Im not suggesting otherwise, but we should also stick up for the healthy separation of church and state which is equally important.

So women who are uncomfortable with men seeing their bodies in a swimsuit should not be able to swim and should just stay home? That doesn't sound too progressive to me.

What massive inconvenience are those women-only swim times to you?

When you do things like this, you are not liberating Canada or Muslim women-- you push them back into their oppression and take opportunities away from them.

Be patient... the backwards attitudes towards women and issues of ""modesty"" will disappear with time. But don't act like it's such a huge inconvenience and a bad thing that women-only swim times are provided. They serve many women well and that's exactly why we have them.

Look, there is a vast difference between allowing women only swim times (a non-religious based scheduling decision) and having to actually close the curtains so a few men don't get too excited. Im sorry but I disagree with any religious based decisions being applied to public facilities. Where does the line between church and state get drawn. I'm a very tolerant person, my dad does work for amnesty international, and my sister did her MA on some issue of feminist theory. I have no problem with religion unless it it is in my face or disruptive. Personally my viewpoint on this would be keep the religious applications at home where they belong. A right to freedom of religion is not the same thing as implementing religious traditions and rules in public spaces. There is a line that is being crossed, and we should tread carefully. Its great to be tolerant, and Im not suggesting otherwise, but we should also stick up for the healthy separation of church and state which is equally important.

I agree 100% . There is nothing wrong with having women-only swim times at public pools in fact this has existed for a long time. Not all women have bikini bods that they want to show off and if they want women-only swim times I don't have a problem with it. It is a completely different matter to say that we must provide women-only swim times in a public pool in order to "accommodate" a particular religion. This is a very slippery slope that we are on. Already in Regent Park the city (taxpayer) has provided rent free facilities for Mosque's in two of the TCHC buildings! The TDSB Public school that serves this community serves only Halal meat in the cafeteria! What about the rights of non-Muslim students attending these schools? Why should they be forced to eat Halal meat? What say , if any, do their parents have in this matter?

Last edited:

Back