Toronto RBC WaterPark Place III | 140.2m | 30s | Oxford Properties | WZMH

It seems like Oxford really cheaped out on the PATH extension .... It should have gone underground from ACC or MLS.

Perhaps the decision had nothing to do with what the developer may or may not have perfered, but rather was a requirement of the city.

Perhaps the decision had nothing to do with what the developer may or may not have perfered, but rather was a requirement of the city.

Yah I was thinking that as well... I'm not sure how deep a developer could go in that area of the waterfront. The city also may not have wanted a tunnel under the Gardiner that would impede any future Gardiner Tunnel itself.

Yah I was thinking that as well... I'm not sure how deep a developer could go in that area of the waterfront. The city also may not have wanted a tunnel under the Gardiner that would impede any future Gardiner Tunnel itself.

I think that hits the nail on the head. Despite the sheer fantasy of a "Big Dig", the city can't afford to not leave it as a possibility. Not to mention for a project such as this, the cost to tunnel so close to the water may have been exceeding what they were willing to invest.

I meant empty as in void of a destination, what they have now, it's just simply going to be thoroughfare.

Maybe it was a requirement of the city to build it this way, and for some reason, every PATH segment in Southcore has been at-grade/above ground. Around the same time however the city approved a ~150 meter underground extension for the Northwest PATH. So what's the deal? Southcore land is virtually empty, I do have good reason to believe it would cost significantly less than digging up York St...

This will be like the Skywalk PATH segment that crosses the tracks to MTCC. There isn't really anything especially interesting about it. The foot of the Skywalk that goes along Front St, is often used as convention space, but the bridge itself is almost used for nothing except walking through.

And I'm struggling to see why installing a Gardiner tunnel a few extra feet deeper would materially change anything, the underground parking from condos further west (The Yards @ fort York, Panorama, Amsterdam Brewing) would impede digging immediately below street level sooner than this would

Last edited:
This series sums up everything that's wrong with the Southcore PATH, or at least, in its current configuration

cCJEZ.png

- There is no PATH connection between Telus House & MLS, must cross outdoors or use the ACC connection, and crossing outdoors is always faster
- Doors to ACC PATH are always shut and have different air pressure like you're entering some kind of medical isolation room or fire escape
- No elevator, no escalator and loads of stairs between ACC & MLS
- MLS elevator is located absurdly far from the escalator, and first-time visitors need to reference the map b/c the location is not intuitive at all
- MLS escalator is often turned off evenings and weekends

The whole thing seems poorly thought out and pretty much sucks. PwC Tower & Telus House is the only reasonably respectable connection.

Last edited:
I meant empty as in void of a destination, what they have now, it's just simply going to be thoroughfare.

Maybe it was a requirement of the city to build it this way, and for some reason, every PATH segment in Southcore has been at-grade/above ground. Around the same time however the city approved a ~150 meter underground extension for the Northwest PATH. So what's the deal? Southcore land is virtually empty, I do have good reason to believe it would cost significantly less than digging up York St...

This will be like the Skywalk PATH segment that crosses the tracks to MTCC. There isn't really anything especially interesting about it. The foot of the Skywalk that goes along Front St, is often used as convention space, but the bridge itself is almost used for nothing except walking through.

And I'm struggling to see why installing a Gardiner tunnel a few extra feet deeper would materially change anything, the underground parking from condos further west (The Yards @ fort York, Panorama, Amsterdam Brewing) would impede digging immediately below street level sooner than this would

I really don't see much of a difference between a +15 bridge or a tunnel section providing there's a proper mezzanine or concourse between the linkages.

Are there any detailed plans showing the transition from Union Station all the way to WPP III? If not, maybe we should all wait and see what takes shape.

Are there any detailed plans showing the transition from Union Station all the way to WPP III? If not, maybe we should all wait and see what takes shape.
I do hope the cement staircase at ACC is temporary and replaced with an escalator by the time Waterpark Place III opens. Otherwise I would be quick to label that office space as "Class B".. that's a lot of stairs for older folks and an inconvenience for those in wheelchairs

I looked at the space in the ACC Galleria and there appears to be enough space to run the PATH from the top of the present stairs and through the Galleria, above the present ACC box office and into Union Station proper where it could easily include escalators, and an elevator.

There is also the possibility of replacing the space in the old 'REAL SPORTS' store in the Galleria and convert it into escalators, stairs and an elevator.

It seems like Oxford really cheaped out on the PATH extension. Here they have wide open space, and they build some kind of bridge under a bridge. It should have gone underground from ACC or MLS. Underground climate control should be less expensive, there should be less repairs to the exterior since it's not subject to the harsh outdoor climate, and there is an option to add retail in the corridors down the road, instead of having a half kilometer long empty hallway to Union Station.

As a huge fan of the PATH system, I brought this up with the planners when the city was having its public consultations about the network a year ago. Basically, right under Lakeshore, at prime tunnel depth, there is a humongous natural gas pipeline that realistically cannot be moved. I was told that is the reason why the developer had to go bridge instead of tunnel.

Yes, it is a band-aid solution to improving waterfront access, but as a resident of the area I'd take this over waiting 20 years for the Gardiner to be torn down or the tracks buried. Even if Lakeshore was beautified and reduced, the real issue is the dark, dank railway overpasses IMO.

Once this bridge is built, however, they'd better upgrade the ACC connection to escalators and elevators!

right under Lakeshore, at prime tunnel depth, there is a humongous natural gas pipeline that realistically cannot be moved. I was told that is the reason why the developer had to go bridge instead of tunne
well, that would be a good reason! I'm also a resident of this area and wasn't around for the public consultation, so thanks for sharing that.

As a huge fan of the PATH system, I brought this up with the planners when the city was having its public consultations about the network a year ago. Basically, right under Lakeshore, at prime tunnel depth, there is a humongous natural gas pipeline that realistically cannot be moved. I was told that is the reason why the developer had to go bridge instead of tunnel.

Yes, it is a band-aid solution to improving waterfront access, but as a resident of the area I'd take this over waiting 20 years for the Gardiner to be torn down or the tracks buried. Even if Lakeshore was beautified and reduced, the real issue is the dark, dank railway overpasses IMO.

Once this bridge is built, however, they'd better upgrade the ACC connection to escalators and elevators!

Also contributed to the need for delivery access to MLS and Telus house to be through the westbound lakeshore blvd ACC ramp. At least to my recolection

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this offramp!

Back