Toronto Rail Deck District | 227.23m | 70s | Craft Dev Corp | Sweeny &Co

sounds like they are going back to the drawing board with this.
this time bringing in public feedback which is good. of course people are just going to say "parks" thats what we want
they also seem to have onboarded a few new companies to the project i think
1644448709051.png

It's great that the city is going to put a rail deck park over the rail yard anyway . But my mind changed when I seen a video on precondo. Advertising the ORCA model, rendering that totally blew me away ! They got my vote if they keep to the same looks of this proposal. Because it compliments The Well development across the street etc. And I can also see Front st becoming a buzzing place for locals and tourists a like to hang out from Bathurst to Church st. As even the first phase Union Park development becomes a reality with its rail deck proposal. Front st may become well known as a nice destination for Toronto like Bloor, Yonge or Queen st etc.

this time bringing in public feedback which is good. of course people are just going to say "parks" thats what we want
they also seem to have onboarded a few new companies to the project i think View attachment 379415

Haha, did anyone see Safdie Associates anymore?

AoD

It's great that the city is going to put a rail deck park over the rail yard anyway . But my mind changed when I seen a video on precondo. Advertising the ORCA model, rendering that totally blew me away ! They got my vote if they keep to the same looks of this proposal. Because it compliments The Well development across the street etc. And I can also see Front st becoming a buzzing place for locals and tourists a like to hang out from Bathurst to Church st. As even the first phase Union Park development becomes a reality with its rail deck proposal. Front st may become well known as a nice destination for Toronto like Bloor, Yonge or Queen st etc.
this one? believe that rendering is from the 2017 version. the 2020 version imo sucked more

I appreciate your enthusiasm and love for Toronto. That said, the architect responsible for those buzzy renders isn't part of the reset team. And, given the staggering cost of construction in Toronto and the lack of government partners (or money) here, I think what we're looking at is a bunch of towers and maybe a tiny deck.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and love for Toronto. That said, the architect responsible for those buzzy renders isn't part of the reset team. And, given the staggering cost of construction in Toronto and the lack of government partners (or money) here, I think what we're looking at is a bunch of towers and maybe a tiny deck.
In that case forget it!!!! I'm sick of all glass facade towers we're drowning in them in the downtown core! I'd rather see a full rail deck park instead.

So they ditched the starchitect?
Sure looks like it. Tbh, I never expected any of the Safdie buildings to get built. It always kinda felt like they hired them to produce nice looking renderings to try and make the idea of condos in place of the city's proposed park more appealing to the general public, as to avoid major backlash to the project. We're now gonna end up with a collection of towers consisting of grey glass and/or wrap-around balconies, cus Toronto.

Sure looks like it. Tbh, I never expected any of the Safdie buildings to get built. It always kinda felt like they hired them to produce nice looking renderings to try and make the idea of condos in place of the city's proposed park more appealing to the general public, as to avoid major backlash to the project. We're now gonna end up with a collection of towers consisting of grey glass and/or wrap-around balconies, cus Toronto.

I'd much rather the City walk away, and insist on no parkland (it would be strata, on a deck, with all the problems that entails); instead they should demand cash-in-lieu or off-site acquisition to the City's satisfaction.

I suspect that financial obstacle (that's a very big cash cheque) might be enough to derail (pun intended) the whole thing.

But if not, they can buy the City 5 acres of parks elsewhere in downtown.....what's a few hundred million between friends?

I can spend the money no problem.

Last edited:
they also seem to have onboarded a few new companies to the project i think View attachment 379415
Sorry but can explain what this means? Are they cancelling their original plans and planning a whole new site plan? Before they submit it they are seeking public input basically?

Also on a side note would it be fair that pre-construction sales likely won't happen for another few years?

Sorry but can explain what this means? Are they cancelling their original plans and planning a whole new site plan?

Yes. They are clearly starting over.

Before they submit it they are seeking public input basically?

Yes.

Also on a side note would it be fair that pre-construction sales likely won't happen for another few years?

I can't possibly peg an exact number, but if everything went perfect from here on out, they are at least 2 years before approval and probably closer to 3 before construction.

But for a variety of reasons, I would describe that as very 'optimistic'.

Yes. They are clearly starting over.

Yes.

I can't possibly peg an exact number, but if everything went perfect from here on out, they are at least 2 years before approval and probably closer to 3 before construction.

But for a variety of reasons, I would describe that as very 'optimistic'.
Thanks for your response... I can't imagine a new proposal would be significantly better than the current one. If it were up to me I would build a bigger park near blue jays way and Front and connect it to the union park rail deck park and have that area as a major hub rather than a tiny strip across the whole rail deck.

Do you or anyone know whether they will start the construction from west to east or east to west?

I just put this thread on my watch list the other day, as I was looking for some new updates on it, and now look.

I actually really liked the ORCA proposal. I saw all the problems people pointed out about it but I thought it was cool.

As someone who walks so much, an elevated park would not be a deterrent for me. I would gladly walk up stairs or even take an elevator to enjoy that park. I thought the park felt cozy being right beside the 9 buildings it had planned, or proposed... I really liked the idea of the architecture having all these connecting bridges too. I just thought that would have a nice effect on the skyline, even if they probably would not be used too much... but I see the starchitect has been removed.

Rail Deck Park had a better name, and also I think the idea of an even larger park at that size would be very cool as well, but I didn't find the proposal all that awe inspiring. I'm sure things would have changed come construction if it were to happen, but the landscaping left a lot to be desired... it was no Central Park in NY.

If they go full condos/mixed-use buildings in this corridor as opposed to adding some kind of park, I do feel like it will be a shame. While I can understand that from a financial incentive perspective, adding some kind of park on this plot would be nice as there is set to be the park behind Rogers Centre with Union Park as well as the over the rail park at CIBC centre... I just think that would be cool.

Overall I really liked the ORCA proposal, even if it wasn't perfect.

Back