Toronto Rail Deck Development | 239.43m | 72s | Fengate | Sweeny &Co

Toronto Model 09-11-24 Rail Deck Park.png

Are all the podiums still above ground parking garages? That was the worst part of all the previous proposals, the entire street level public realm on all sides was basically above ground parking garages.

What are these "platform level" and transit at the base of the middle block?

Are they invisioning a new GO station underneath?

edit: I just remembered Spadina-Front GO station. This might heavily affect Metrolinx. I wonder what their opinion on the project.
1726103123200.png

1726103158118.png

Last edited:
What are these "platform level" and transit at the base of the middle block?

Are they invisioning a new GO station underneath?

edit: I just remembered Spadina-Front GO station. This might heavily affect Metrolinx. I wonder what their opinion on the project.
View attachment 595611
View attachment 595612

You got it! It's for the new "station" at Front-Spadina where the Barrie line trains are to stop;

Here's the track level drawings below the central block towers:
1000100375.png

Having only one mid block connection is brutal. This thing is going to be a monotonous slab of streetwall.

God help us all if there is aluminum cladding involved.

Last edited:
Having only one mid block connection is brutal. This thing is going to be a monotonous slab of streetwall.

God help us all if there is aluminum cladding involved.

This is nowhere close to happening............and it happening at all, in this or any other form is dubious well into the medium term.

That's my instinct..........but to be clear, @ProjectEnd 's take which is similar is a very well informed one, and to be given considerable weight.

This is nowhere close to happening............and it happening at all, in this or any other form is dubious well into the medium term.

That's my instinct..........but to be clear, @ProjectEnd 's take which is similar is a very well informed one, and to be given considerable weight.
Nope, for any number of reasons this is absolutely correct.

Good, but Toronto is broke so no park either I guess

Good, but Toronto is broke so no park either I guess

Rail Deck Park was never a good idea, its about the most expensive way you could find to create parkland in the core other than maybe buying First Canadian Place and demolishing it.

While there aren't really any opportunities in the core itself for a 20-acre plus park, at this stage, there are several opportunities to add 2-3 acres to existing parks and make them much larger (4 acres plus) as well as deliver something much closer to contiguous lakefront parkland.

The City has several hundred million in unallocated Parkland Acquisition Reserve funds, which utilized properly can likely add 8ha/20 acres to downtown Parks with a bit leftover. By contrast, those same funds would be wiped out entirely to deliver 3 acres of Rail Deck.

Last edited:
There's this thing of having to stick the park thing over active rail tracks would likely be where most of said funds would be going to build this. To which should go without saying would require a massive amount of engineering feats to pull that off. Best to build parks where surfaces already exist, as opposed building it on thin air.

Back