Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

PCC on Queen's Quay

According to Transit Toronto, a PCC will be appearing Sundays on the 509 route from now through July. I guess Keeping streetcars running for a few more months and rolling out the PCC will be good for tourism.

Are the Queen's Quay tracks east of Spadina back in service?

Perhaps track replacement in the tunnel and on the street will start in August?

Streetcars came back into service Monday morning.

509 route runs one of those cars every summer.

Are they really going to re-align QQ? I noticed there's TTC laying tracks on the east end of Yonge along QQ and it's in the middle of the road like the west end.

Are they really going to re-align QQ? I noticed there's TTC laying tracks on the east end of Yonge along QQ and it's in the middle of the road like the west end.
The tracks are being stockpiled to use fore the realignment west of Bay.

The tracks aren't moving that far ... no more than a metre or so. It's the road that's moving for the most part.

It seems odd that the only place they could find to store them was in the middle of the street though.

Don't they pretty much always store rails on the street prior to construction? Not usually many other options for storing and welding huge lengths of rail close to the work site.

So, when is this realignment starting?

According to Steve Munro: "Tentative plans have streetcar service coming off of the 509 Harbourfront car at the end of July for the beginning of construction."

Well, looks like the 510 won't be running to Union again until Queens Quay is fully rebuilt.

"Service will be temporarily changed, because of deteriorated track conditions on Queens Quay and the resulting slow operation. The 510 SPADINA route will be shortened to operate between Spadina Station and Queens Quay/Spadina Loop only, to insulate it from the slow operation. Service will be increased between King Street and Queens Quay. There will be no change to service levels between Spadina Station and King Street. Customers wishing to travel to Union Station should transfer between 510 SPADINA and 509 HARBOURFRONT streetcars at Queens Quay and Lower Spadina Avenue."

This is coming up on WT Board of Directors meeting on May 23. Looking good!

8:20 a.m. Queens Quay Boulevard East Improvements
Capital Approval
Capital Approval for interim improvements on Queens Quay Boulevard from Bay St. to Jarvis St.

8:40 a.m. 4. Queens Quay Public Realm Cost Sharing
Approval to share costs with private property owners for public realm improvements

Great news. It's going too look great in the end, though I'm not really looking forward to two years of street chaos.

The final product will be worth the two years of street chaos.

If it is built as plan, what you see today and 20 years from now, will be night and day for the better.

I still wish grass was going to be put in the ROW, as it will enhance the street look even better considering it been done all over in Europe.

I look forward seeing the new line going east. As to when it will connect to Cherry St, we may know in the coming weeks, but it will be after 2015 for sure.

As it stands now, I took my last drive in the eastbound lanes on the 19th.
[video=youtube;cqm_wW35yME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqm_wW35yME[/video]

Do they also move the TTC tunnel exit/entrance in order to widen the street on the north side, west of Bay st.?

Do they also move the TTC tunnel exit/entrance in order to widen the street on the north side, west of Bay st.?

The existing portal will have to be rebuilt as a T to allow cars from both ends to get to Union.

The west ramp remains in the current location while the east ramp will surface east of Yonge due to a major Sewer Line that will have to be relocated first.

The new portal will allow cars to bypass Union Loop.

The bike lane between Bay & Yonge are almost non existing due to the hotel road.

No widening of any road to take place, with a focuses to reduce road width.

Back