Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Oops, my bad. I measured to Simcoe, but typed Rees. 800 metres from Spadina is about where the west entrance to the Harbourfront Centre parking lot is. The Queen's Quay design between Simcoe and York should take into account the entrance into the future Canada Square underground parking lot.

^ No problem. I live in the apartments between Spadina and Rees and could have sworn they weren't close to half a kilometre long, so that's how I caught it.

To be honest, I'm surprised they aren't starting this at Bathurst, since it is basically the western starting point for Queens Quay. Westbound traffic will have to merge from two southside lanes to one northside lane at Spadina, which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Someone could correct me if I'm wrong and they'll eventually be doing the stretch between Spadina and Bathurst, but it just seems like Spadina would be a weird place to start.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the illustration panels for what will happen at Spadina. Seems like a strange solution and I'm wondering how many streetcars are going to t-bone vehicles when the lane veers over the street car tracks. Considering in the summer there's a t-boning every few days at the entrance to the fire station near HtO Park, I think it's going to cause some problems...

Last edited:
The right-of-way is not wide enough west of Spadina and would require shifting the streetcar tracks south to get two lanes of traffic on the north side of the streetcar ROW. Between Spadina and Bathurst there are bike lanes already and basically three sidewalks if you include the 'boardwalk' on the south side of the Music Garden so I don't think it is warranted.

It will be one lane in each direction on the northside east of Spadina. Currently there is only one through lane eastbound (on the southside, since we are in North America) between Bathurst and Spadina that would have to shift to the northside at Spadina, which could get confusing for drivers with some ending up in the streetcar ROW.

The central section is from Spadina to Bay St as per the EA.

Canada Sq is the main focus point now that construction of the underground Parking lot is to start and that is at Simcoe St.

So Waterfront Toronto's first major construction project is a f@*#*ing parking lot?

Swear all you want but the 'parking lot' is actually vital to the success of the entire project, it'll provide a lot of parking (okay, sure, who cares...) but more importantly parking for buses, with the lane reductions this isn't possible anymore without this.

To be honest, I'm surprised they aren't starting this at Bathurst, since it is basically the western starting point for Queens Quay. Westbound traffic will have to merge from two southside lanes to one northside lane at Spadina, which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Someone could correct me if I'm wrong and they'll eventually be doing the stretch between Spadina and Bathurst, but it just seems like Spadina would be a weird place to start.
When they tried out the concept a couple of years back, they started at Spadina. I live between Spadina & Bathurst and really not a lot happens at that end.

It will be one lane in each direction on the northside east of Spadina. Currently there is only one through lane eastbound (on the southside, since we are in North America) between Bathurst and Spadina that would have to shift to the northside at Spadina, which could get confusing for drivers with some ending up in the streetcar ROW.

THat happens often enough now as it is.

^I'm familiar with Queens Quay between Spadina and Bathurst, since I live at QQ/Spadina. I understand the arguments provided by others that the boardwalk is sufficient public space, but to say nothing goes on along that stretch is somewhat baffling. The Music Garden and the boardwalk are quite popular.

I mean it's much quieter -- and I didn't say "nothing" goes on; when I walk home on a busy summer's day, it just seems like a different neighbourhood crossing over Spadina. That's why we chose to live there -- close to all the main goings on at Harbourfront (the world stage, buskers, boat tours, etc. etc.) but quieter. Absolutely, folks are strolling through the Music Garden, and I love the bi-weekly concerts, but it just seems like a more subdued activity level than the Yonge-Spadina stretch. I love it -- I'm not complaining!

Perhaps the section west of Spadina should be one-way, westbound only? Looping back around via Lakeshore Blvd would be easy for eastbound drivers.

Perhaps the section west of Spadina should be one-way, westbound only? Looping back around via Lakeshore Blvd would be easy for eastbound drivers.

When time comes to redo the tracks, that section will be converted to match the east.

If $15 million can be found, it can be done now.

I have try from day one to get this section change, but ran into the "NO We Can Not Do It Now"

Drum, why do you feel it's necessary to change this section? Other than to have the entire QQ stretch consistent from Bathurst to Parliament, I can not think of any reason to do so. It is currently the nicest stretch of QQ with no issues (from my experience) of parked cars or anything else. True, there may be issues with eastbound cars and westbound cyclists crossing over to the north side of the streetcar ROW (actually may be a bigger issue come to think of it, not that the timing of the traffic signals cannot solve). My justification is cost containment (to save $15 mil, as you suggested) and the adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. And the lack of sufficient ROW (from what I can tell) of actually doing it. I would love to see the cross-sections and profile drawings for this section, and the entire QQ when completed.

That aside, I do like Kettal's idea of only westbound traffic, negating the need to realign the streetcar tracks.

Drum, why do you feel it's necessary to change this section? Other than to have the entire QQ stretch consistent from Bathurst to Parliament, I can not think of any reason to do so. It is currently the nicest stretch of QQ with no issues (from my experience) of parked cars or anything else. True, there may be issues with eastbound cars and westbound cyclists crossing over to the north side of the streetcar ROW (actually may be a bigger issue come to think of it, not that the timing of the traffic signals cannot solve). My justification is cost containment (to save $15 mil, as you suggested) and the adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. And the lack of sufficient ROW (from what I can tell) of actually doing it. I would love to see the cross-sections and profile drawings for this section, and the entire QQ when completed.

That aside, I do like Kettal's idea of only westbound traffic, negating the need to realign the streetcar tracks.

The other thing to consider, the stretch of QQ west of Spadina is kinda dead when it comes to retail, not that there aren't some spaces but most of it is just sitting empty for lease.

It works well as parkland space with the music garden (which is amazing in the summer btw!) but it's fine as is i.e. other then bike lanes, people are likely to be walking in the parkland to the south, why bother spending money on the rest of the area really.

All this should stop around Spadina to the west

Living on that stretch, I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. You're right about retail -- nothing stays open for long! There just isn't enough traffic at that end. Which is fine by me :)

Back