Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Well, looks like the 510 won't be running to Union again until Queens Quay is fully rebuilt.

"Service will be temporarily changed, because of deteriorated track conditions on Queens Quay and the resulting slow operation. The 510 SPADINA route will be shortened to operate between Spadina Station and Queens Quay/Spadina Loop only, to insulate it from the slow operation. Service will be increased between King Street and Queens Quay. There will be no change to service levels between Spadina Station and King Street. Customers wishing to travel to Union Station should transfer between 510 SPADINA and 509 HARBOURFRONT streetcars at Queens Quay and Lower Spadina Avenue."

Interestingly, I've seen the 510 streetcar at Union Station going to Spadina Station every few days, despite this notification and signs reading "No 510 streetcars" and its removal from the next vehicle arrival sign.

Interestingly, I've seen the 510 streetcar at Union Station going to Spadina Station every few days, despite this notification and signs reading "No 510 streetcars" and its removal from the next vehicle arrival sign.
Saw 3 tonight while shooting the ROW before construction starts on it starting July. Seen them a few time over the past few weeks.

I have seen 509 short turning at Spadina Loop daily.

The Bremner line is a dumb idea, as well an operation nightmare in the making.

Just like Sheppard, people want the best transit money can buy, as long as it is other people's money.

QQE LRT would cost $100+ million and there is no room for it at Union, all to serve a couple of thousand people per hour. Obviously this project needs to take a back seat to the DRL and other priorities. Take the bus!

It's not that simple - take a look at the QQE Transit EA (http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/expl...ast_bayfront_transit_environmental_assessment ) The problem is actually getting a bus (or, actually, many buses) to a subway station. Extending the 6 Bay bus by a block (Lower Sherbourne rather than Lower Jarvis) is not going to be enough and increasing the frequency of the 75 Sherbourne bus won't help much either. If Toronto wants to see a community of both residents and workers on QQE then some way for them to easily connect to the Yonge-University subway is essential. The original idea of "Transit First" was a good one, it's a pity it is fallen by the wayside!

Most of that $100 million is to upgrade Union station ... most of which is already necessary to deal with the current problems there, let alone the Waterfront West LRT down Bremner.

This is incorrect. Including the Union Station changes, the QQE LRT would cost $272 million according to Waterfront Toronto. A ridiculous sum.

QQE LRT would cost $100+ million and there is no room for it at Union, all to serve a couple of thousand people per hour. Obviously this project needs to take a back seat to the DRL and other priorities. Take the bus!

This is incorrect. Including the Union Station changes, the QQE LRT would cost $272 million according to Waterfront Toronto. A ridiculous sum.

You know, if your going to admit that your $100+ million number was wrong, I'd prefer it if you quoted your own post, rather than quoting me quoting your erroneous number.

Still given that the cost for TTC for the current Queens Quay West work is about $10-million on a $120-million budget - then the actual track on Queens Quay East isn't so much the issue. It's what you do at the western teminus. Is that $272 million just for TTC work, or does it include the other non-TTC work (which is currently costing about $110-million of the $120-million budget for the western section)?

You know, if your going to admit that your $100+ million number was wrong, I'd prefer it if you quoted your own post, rather than quoting me quoting your erroneous number.

Still given that the cost for TTC for the current Queens Quay West work is about $10-million on a $120-million budget - then the actual track on Queens Quay East isn't so much the issue. It's what you do at the western teminus. Is that $272 million just for TTC work, or does it include the other non-TTC work (which is currently costing about $110-million of the $120-million budget for the western section)?

Where are you getting this from? I said LRT in East Bayfront would cost $100 million. Of course whether you include streetscape improvements (which are part of the project) and vehicles or not, the number gets higher or lower. The number is uncertain, as befits a project that it is not tendered, or budgeted, or seriously contemplated by the people with the money. So relax for once with the nitpicking.

You erroneously (and rather ludicrously) said the $100 million would include the Union Station improvements. I pointed out you are vastly wrong in this claim.

Sometimes I think the City should just buy people like you a toy train. Then you'd stay home and play with it, and leave the thinking to people who understand cost-benefit analysis.

Where are you getting this from? I said LRT in East Bayfront would cost $100 million.
I thought I was just using your numbers for east of Bay. If I've misinterpreted your numbers, I apologise. You've said both that the LRT would cost $100 million and elsewhere you've said it would cost $272 million. I'm not sure what the difference is, or what you are including in what. I haven't looked up any of these numbers. The Queens Quay West numbers I quoted come from my memory of the press release last week.

So relax for once with the nitpicking.
I see no reason for being so rude here. Everyone has been polite, otherwise.

Sometimes I think the City should just buy people like you a toy train. Then you'd stay home and play with it, and leave the thinking to people who understand cost-benefit analysis.
Why are you so rude? Your posts are not clear, and then you attack people without reason? I look forward to your apology.

I just realized that they will remove the existing trees and replace the with new ones. So, it may take five years for QQ to looks nice and green. :(

I've tried to get an answer - but the silence has been deafening. Does anyone know what cyclists are suppose to do to get from Spadina to Yonge when QQ is one way? I dont really like the thought of having to go all the way up to Front St.. but they don't seem to be willing to provide an answer.

You ride on the south side which will be for pedestrians/cyclists

Edit: Sorry, I realized after I posted that you may have been referring to the time during construction? In that case, why not use the path along the south side of Lakeshore? I do that now when QQ is crazy busy. Post-construction, QQ will again return to 2 way traffic but then there'll be the south side available for cars/walkers/joggers/bladers.

Last edited:
That path along Lake Shore is the Martin Goodman Trail and it's actually pretty cool -- much better than Queen's Quay traffic. I don't get why it is not on any of the cycling maps.

Agreed! There's hardly ever anyone on it, and it sure beats dodging cars, buses, taxis and pedestrians!

Back