Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

The start of work on the 'wavedecks' over the pipes @ Sherbourne Common.

IMG_1260[1].JPG

Not quite sure where to put this, so here it is!

• Request for Proposals (RFP) # 2022-27: Water Taxi and Seabus Feasibility Study
    Waterfront Toronto (legally known as Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation) invites all qualified firms to submit a Proposal for Water Taxi and Seabus Feasibility Study. The revitalization of Toronto’s waterfront has had an impact on the marine uses in this area, resulting in a growing demand and interest in Lake Ontario by water-based recreation and transportation. Waterfront neighbourhoods are being transformed with new and improved transportation networks that prioritize walkability and cycling, as well as provide access to the existing and planned local and regional transit infrastructure. There are several transportation infrastructure and public transit projects in the works for the waterfront, with most plans focusing on the land-based public realm aspects of the waterfront. Waterfront Toronto (WT) plans to encourage activity range from boardwalks and pedestrian bridges to better connect different piers on the waterfront, new waterfront destinations, mixed use areas, and year-round programming. To facilitate WT’s vision for connection, WT is seeking services for a consultant to complete a study that considers the feasibility of an enhanced public marine transportation network. To view this opportunity, please visit Waterfront Toronto's Bonfire Portal website at https://waterfrontoronto.bonfirehub.ca

@Northern Light This is directed to you as you seem to be exceptionally knowledgeable about urban trees.

The other evening, I went for a walk on Queens Quay from York to Spadina. Based on my observation, 30% - 40% of the street trees were dead or dying. Many of the dead trees were also the biggest.

I think it's been about 15 years since Queens Quay was rebuilt. Why are the trees still struggling to survive, let alone thrive?

What we were promised...

900_large.jpg

Source

94b5-201265-Martin-Goodman-Trail1.jpg

Source

@Northern Light This is directed to you as you seem to be exceptionally knowledgeable about urban trees.

The other evening, I went for a walk on Queens Quay from York to Spadina. Based on my observation, 30% - 40% of the street trees were dead or dying. Many of the dead trees were also the biggest.

I think it's been about 15 years since Queens Quay was rebuilt. Why are the trees still struggling to survive, let alone thrive?

What we were promised...

900_large.jpg

Source

Source

I haven't walked Queen's Quay this year, since leaf-out (which for most species is in the last 2 weeks}, so I can't speak to how things are doing this year as yet.

But I will take a look soon.

Photos may help (close ups on the bark, buds, leaves if any).

Worth saying, a couple of the species present, Honey Locust and London Plane are both late to leaf out; they really belong in more temperate climates. ....

But the Elms and Silver Maples in the mix should both be looking decently verdant by now.

We know a pest species has affect the Silvers along the Water's Edge Promenade further east, one that is typically not lethal and whose effects aren't usually seen til mid-season.

There's no way drought could be an issue this year, so its a difficult question.

There are shortcomings in the tree pit design on the western stretch of Queen's Quay, which WT is aware of and have fixed in the design for the eastern stretch.

But whether that's playing a role in what you are or are not seeing thus far this year, I cannot say.

What we were promised...

900_large.jpg

Source

Source
While I agree that the trees have not grown as quickly as I would like - the Queen's Quay revitalization opened in 2015, just 8 years ago.

While I agree that the trees have not grown as quickly as I would like - the Queen's Quay revitalization opened in 2015, just 8 years ago.

A majority of the trees on Queen's Quay were also replaced after the initial die-off; so very few have been in the ground 8 years, I think for the majority it would be 6.

Last edited:
A majority of the trees on Queen's Quay were also replaced after the initial die-off; so very few have been in the ground 8 years, I think for the majority it would be 6.

Also if I recall, Toronto Hydro or Enbridge or someone came in only a couple years after everything was done, ripped everything up and killed a bunch of trees and stuff.

I thought the revitalization happened sometime around 2009. Isn't that when around 3 wave decks were introduced? Did the rebuild happen after those wave decks? Just trying to get my timelines straight.

I thought the revitalization happened sometime around 2009. Isn't that when around 3 wave decks were introduced? Did the rebuild happen after those wave decks? Just trying to get my timelines straight.

The actual QQ revitalization was years after the completion of the wavedecks.

AoD

Reactions: max
Does anyone know when the fences will come down along the Sherbourne Common waterfront promenade? Superstar posted a photo above. After waiting years for the promenade to finally get completed the city decides to park a barge and cut off access. Yeeesh! Typical.

Does anyone know when the fences will come down along the Sherbourne Common waterfront promenade? Superstar posted a photo above. After waiting years for the promenade to finally get completed the city decides to park a barge and cut off access. Yeeesh! Typical.
The barge is for the WT project with the wastewater treatment. As posted in the Sherbourne Common thread last October:

The water intake pipes at Sherbourne Common will, WT says, be finished in spring 2023 and the work on the new boardwalk on top of this is " dependent on the completion of the in-water pipes project, which has been delayed due to due to supply chain challenges and productivity losses from winter conditions. Subject to funding, construction of the wooden boardwalk is anticipated to be completed next fiscal year (2023/24)."

More info on pp 64+ of https://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/sit...nt Committee Meeting - September 22, 2022.pdf

No mention of it in the FARM meeting book for NEXT week. You may want to email WT and then post the response?

Just a note drop here....

Trunk Sewer work on Queen's Quay, across pretty much the entire length is penciled in for 2034.

If the LRT gets funding and they rip it out 5 years later for sewer work................. LOL

Gotta laugh, before I let myself worry it just might happen.

Just a note drop here....

Trunk Sewer work on Queen's Quay, across pretty much the entire length is penciled in for 2034.

If the LRT gets funding and they rip it out 5 years later for sewer work................. LOL

Gotta laugh, before I let myself worry it just might happen.
I cant wait, this project will probably be the biggest construction management disaster Toronto has ever witnessed. We should all gather around Sugar Beach in 10 years so we can host weekly parties to witness how botched the whole thing will be.

Back