Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I would love to see the current Redpath factory gone. I hate the heavy industrial presence that the Redpath factory brings. Surely they could operate elsewhere, well out of the central waterfront. But I'd want to keep the large industrial buildings and create a civic space instead. An art gallery, a museum, an event space, etc. This would really activate the area.
Wow wouldn't that be amazing. I agree unfortunate part is for a company to move it costs a lot of money, I believe it would be a worth while investment for Toronto to pay for the move but in the end I don't see anything like that happening at all.

Wow wouldn't that be amazing. I agree unfortunate part is for a company to move it costs a lot of money, I believe it would be a worth while investment for Toronto to pay for the move but in the end I don't see anything like that happening at all.

Honestly I don't feel it is something that need to move, though I would encourage better landscaping and aesthetic improvements to the existing structure.

AoD

Honestly I don't feel it is something that need to move, though I would encourage better landscaping and aesthetic improvements to the existing structure.

AoD

The new QQ East streetscape should address a good deal of what's needed in terms of streetscape/landscape. Though some work could be done to the truck/receiving area as well.

I'm not particularly fond of the white brick, I wonder if that could be muralized by a high quality mural.........

The new QQ East streetscape should address a good deal of what's needed in terms of streetscape/landscape. Though some work could be done to the truck/receiving area as well.

I'm not particularly fond of the white brick, I wonder if that could be muralized by a high quality mural.........

Yeah, I agree with both - and the idea of a mural is great (plus there is already a precedent - Robert Wyland Whailing Wall mural - at the sugar shed next door).

AoD

I would love to see the current Redpath factory gone. I hate the heavy industrial presence that the Redpath factory brings. Surely they could operate elsewhere, well out of the central waterfront. But I'd want to keep the large industrial buildings and create a civic space instead. An art gallery, a museum, an event space, etc. This would really activate the area.
So send the jobs over to Asia, along with all the jobs along the waterfront?

So send the jobs over to Asia, along with all the jobs along the waterfront?

It won't be sending the jobs to Asia - it would be sending the job to other ports in this region - still not a good idea considering the relatively weak nuisance and the low level of benefit moving this use offers.

AoD

Regardless of how one might feel about the Redpath factory, one thing that is clear is that the streetscape and pedestrian realm in that stretch needs to be greatly improved. It should be a seamless transition for pedestrians walking from one part of the waterfront to the other.

Regardless of how one might feel about the Redpath factory, one thing that is clear is that the streetscape and pedestrian realm in that stretch needs to be greatly improved. It should be a seamless transition for pedestrians walking from one part of the waterfront to the other.
Which may explain why WT are planning it?

I don’t remember the thread this was posted in, but I remember reading about the trees along the waterfront promenade near sugar beach starting to die from a disease. I walked by this weekend, and it’s looking pretty bleak. This fungus is on nearly every single tree, including the newer ones further east.
F23B46EE-C415-4A16-A31E-11065CBFBAC4.jpeg
29518EA4-B1FB-4CED-9A87-7C523C80A3FA.jpeg

I don’t remember the thread this was posted in, but I remember reading about the trees along the waterfront promenade near sugar beach starting to die from a disease. I walked by this weekend, and it’s looking pretty bleak. This fungus is on nearly every single tree, including the newer ones further east.
View attachment 347124View attachment 347125

I think @NorthernLight already identified this as Cottony Maple Scale - mainly a nuisance disease that doesn't kill the tree.

AoD

View attachment 347124View attachment 347125

You read about this in the Aquabella thread.

I had a good look at this too, and my analysis, such as it is, is there; my post is linked below:

Moving along! From: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/decisio...n=doPrepare&meetingId=19822#Meeting-2021.GL25

Application for Approval to Expropriate, 11 Parliament Street - Stage 1
Origin
(August 31, 2021) Report from the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management​
Recommendations
The Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management recommends that:

1. City Council, as Approving Authority, authorize the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management, to initiate expropriation proceedings, to acquire fee simple ownership of the entire property municipally known as 11 Parliament Street, legally described in Appendix A and shown on Appendix B to facilitate the eastward extension of Queens Quay East to Cherry Street and the reconstruction of the Queens Quay East and Parliament Street intersection to further implement the Central Waterfront Secondary Plan, East Bayfront Precinct Plan and Keating Channel Precinct Plan.

2. City Council, as Approving Authority, direct the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management, or their designate, to serve and publish Notices of Application for Approval to Expropriate the property municipally known as 11 Parliament Street, to forward any requests for hearing to the Chief Inquiry Officer, to attend any hearings in order to present the City of Toronto's position, and to report the Chief Inquiry Officer's recommendations to City Council for consideration.​

Moving along! From: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/decisio...n=doPrepare&meetingId=19822#Meeting-2021.GL25

Application for Approval to Expropriate, 11 Parliament Street - Stage 1
Origin
(August 31, 2021) Report from the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management​
Recommendations
The Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management recommends that:

1. City Council, as Approving Authority, authorize the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management, to initiate expropriation proceedings, to acquire fee simple ownership of the entire property municipally known as 11 Parliament Street, legally described in Appendix A and shown on Appendix B to facilitate the eastward extension of Queens Quay East to Cherry Street and the reconstruction of the Queens Quay East and Parliament Street intersection to further implement the Central Waterfront Secondary Plan, East Bayfront Precinct Plan and Keating Channel Precinct Plan.

2. City Council, as Approving Authority, direct the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management, or their designate, to serve and publish Notices of Application for Approval to Expropriate the property municipally known as 11 Parliament Street, to forward any requests for hearing to the Chief Inquiry Officer, to attend any hearings in order to present the City of Toronto's position, and to report the Chief Inquiry Officer's recommendations to City Council for consideration.​
From link.

1631113313825.png

1631113345745.png

Back