Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Before I forget, I have always wondered whether municipalities select dwarf species for new suburban developments? I remember reading somewhere that dwarf species are popular due to their slow growth, small statue and therefore lack of maintenance compared to regular trees. Would be great if Northern Light has any thoughts on this.

I don't believe there to be any such policy.

The prevailing policy is to increase canopy coverage, and the default assumption would be that a developer would use species from the City's own approved lists.

They may propose different options, but would have to get them past forestry.

Short/dwarf species are only preferred where there are extremely low-hanging wires, and a larger tree is a non-starter.

A major problem w/suburban developments to this day is the way they handle soil and topography during construction.

The tendency is to level sites as much as is practical and in doing so much or all of the top soil is often scraped off before a subdivision is built.

Then the under layer of soil is compacted by all the heavy machinery while homes and roads are built, then six inches of top soil are dressed back on at the end and the trees planted, mostly in the lower, less fertile, compacted soils.

This means that even trees that appear to have good planting conditions (reasonable size yard, setback etc.) often have a hard time surviving, let alone growing.

https://www.yourleaf.org/soil-help-newly-constructed-homes

Apologies if this has already been posted or there is a better thread. My worry for these gates for the Queen's Quay streetcar tunnel portal entrance is that the gates will be reliable and delay streetcars. Will they need to come to a full stop before they open or will they open when the streetcar is approaching at a certain distance?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ers-from-entering-the-queens-quay-tunnel.html

Will the gates be flexible, could be pushed without breaking should a vehicle attempt to go through? Or, will the gate be crash-proof, capable of actually stopping the vehicle from going through?
Patience, patience...

If you wait until tomorrow you ought to be able to see for yourself. This on TTC website:

Harbourfront streetcar tunnel - gate installation requiring temporary nightly service changes
July 25 to 27, 2018 from 12 a.m. to 5 a.m. nightly

Will the gates be flexible, could be pushed without breaking should a vehicle attempt to go through? Or, will the gate be crash-proof, capable of actually stopping the vehicle from going through?

Patience, patience...

If you wait until tomorrow you ought to be able to see for yourself. This on TTC website:

Harbourfront streetcar tunnel - gate installation requiring temporary nightly service changes
July 25 to 27, 2018 from 12 a.m. to 5 a.m. nightly

This tweet and the replies afterwards seem to look like the gate will be like a normal parking "gate", where cars can ram through if they wanted to.
Di-pkehXcAEK85x.jpg

I was expecting a level crossing like they use on railways, what is this cheap thing?

I'll accept it as long as nobody drives through it. o_O

I was expecting a level crossing like they use on railways, what is this cheap thing?

I'll accept it as long as nobody drives through it. o_O
Of course people WILL drive up to it and some will keep going but they MAY realise they should stop. At least it looks like the 'gates' at parking lots which can be easily replaced when people hit the bar.

And with no bar in sight because it snapped off like the flimsy plastic bollards, aimless drivers will invite themselves straight into the tunnel :mad:

And with no bar in sight because it snapped off like the flimsy plastic bollards, aimless drivers will invite themselves straight into the tunnel :mad:
You're making it sound like it's a daily occurrence that someone drives into the tunnel. If it's broken off people aren't going to suddenly decide oh I can drive in here today.

These water curtains are a brilliant idea, they could activate them when a car passes the beginning of the slope into the tunnel. Found this in the Twitter thread posted by Leo_Chan earlier. They have been installing these all over Australia to stop truckers from ignoring height clearance warning signs before entering a tunnel. And on top of that instituted fines and license suspensions for anyone who refuses to stop.

7QuDLFZ.jpg

Last edited:
You're making it sound like it's a daily occurrence that someone drives into the tunnel. If its broken off people aren't going to suddenly decide oh I can drive in here today.

I think the TTC and WaterfrontToronto don't understand how terrible the current street design is. They should install cameras at this intersection. I live on Queen's Quay and see people hopping into the streetcar lanes multiple times daily. Some drivers then swerve into the service and/or bike and pedestrian lane. I had many close calls as a pedestrian with cars on this road, it doesn't feel safe at all.

I think the TTC and WaterfrontToronto don't understand how terrible the current street design is. They should install cameras at this intersection. I live on Queen's Quay and see people hopping into the streetcar lanes multiple times daily. Some drivers then swerve into the service and/or bike and pedestrian lane. I had many close calls as a pedestrian with cars on this road, it doesn't feel safe at all.

TTC knows. They argued against the edge-of-road design from when it was first presented; and promptly got overruled by council and told to hold their tongue.

As far as repairs go this bollard got damaged almost a month ago and the only fix was an orange pylon. Probably placed there by an ordinary citizen. I won't be expecting them to replace broken gates in a timely manner.

IMG_20180729_170312.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180729_170312.jpg
    IMG_20180729_170312.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 443
Last edited by a moderator:
As far as repairs go this bollard got damaged almost a month and the only fix was an orange pylon. Probably placed there by an ordinary citizen. I won't be expecting them to replace broken gates in a timely manner.
If the gate is not there it is still unlikely anyone will try to drive in. It really isnt a common occurence. If they use a regular parking lot gate they are designed to break off and be easy and fast to replace. I overlook a lot and it happens every month or so and fitting a new arm takes 2 minutes.

TTC knows. They argued against the edge-of-road design from when it was first presented; and promptly got overruled by council and told to hold their tongue.
Exactly waterfront Toronto thinks it's the best designed street in Toronto. I bet they probably even got some sort of design award for it but stuff like that doesn't matter when people don't know how to use it properly. Waterfront Toronto even put out a YouTube video explaining how to use the street for pedestrians and cyclists. If it's that complicated that you have to do that then it's badly designed.

Back