Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

The rest of the world can use the green living plants called grass, but we are forbidden to do so. Sorry, we have to use hard surfaces like concrete.

From link.

Combino_VAG_auf_Rasengleisa.jpg

Freiburg Im Breisgau, Germany.

That is a poor example to compare to our system. Look how close our ROW is to road vs the example above. Most of the grass would be dead and look way worse than concrete.

That is a poor example to compare to our system. Look how close our ROW is to road vs the example above. Most of the grass would be dead and look way worse than concrete.
You are, of course, right but you won't convince WKL who has a bee in his bonnet about grass on streetcar tracks and transit traffic lights and brings both subjects up at every possible opportunity :->

I have suggested in the past paint the entrances of ROW with paint (probably red or yellow). This would not stop all of the stupid drivers. But could reduce some incursions.

I have suggested in the past paint the entrances of ROW with paint (probably red or yellow). This would not stop all of the stupid drivers. But could reduce some incursions.
I and others have call for red painted area since the day we learn there was going to be no grass as plan for the ROW before it was built and has fallen on deaf ears.

Like you stated, it will stop most clueless drivers, but not all of them. Then some don't a shit about driving on the ROW since their little world is more important than all of us as well don't care about the rules of the road in the first place.

I suppose paint is an easier solution than the correct one which is to cancel said drivers' licences. If you're that unaware of your surroundings then you have no business driving a vehicle. Keeping with the theme, paint won't help said drivers with their spatial and situational awareness, I'm afraid.

The real solution here is stricter licensing requirements. It's much to easy to get a driver's licence in Ontario. They don't even test for confidence and competency, but merely for adherence to "safety" principles "defensive" driving technique. The latter, of course, being nothing but an excuse to not worry about your surroundings, your skill, and your confidence in driving.

You can experiment with grass, paint, rumble strips, signage, and slaps to the backside of the head all you want but unless you address the root cause of the problem you're just wasting time.

Fine. Would this be so unreasonable?

Allen6-6.jpg

d4ce6d60f9de78b00ac8417e9cc149c6.jpg
Nice try, but just look at the climate where that artificial grass is installed. Just as an example, there's a reason why BMO Field ripped up the artificial turf it had in its earlier years. One big reason was because there were many complaints, the other big reason was because the drainage was horrid.

I suppose paint is an easier solution than the correct one which is to cancel said drivers' licences. If you're that unaware of your surroundings then you have no business driving a vehicle. Keeping with the theme, paint won't help said drivers with their spatial and situational awareness, I'm afraid.

The real solution here is stricter licensing requirements. It's much to easy to get a driver's licence in Ontario. They don't even test for confidence and competency, but merely for adherence to "safety" principles "defensive" driving technique. The latter, of course, being nothing but an excuse to not worry about your surroundings, your skill, and your confidence in driving.

You can experiment with grass, paint, rumble strips, signage, and slaps to the backside of the head all you want but unless you address the root cause of the problem you're just wasting time.
Agreed. Drivers in Ontario are generally horrible. Clueless. Btw, "driving slow" does not equal a "good driver" (I am not saying that aggressive drivers are good drivers either). More likely it equals "clueless, scared to death, unaware of surroundings" driver. Oh, so common in Toronto. Please please, lets implement stricter guidelines to weed out these horrible drivers. It will reduce the number of accidents, rage cases and traffic.

I have been seeing Nissan commercials where they show "scared to death" teenager trying to drive in a construction zone. And suddenly, autodrive kicks in. That's not the image they should be portraying. If you can't drive through a construction zone without shitting your pants, you shouldn't be driving at all. Sigh.

Nice try, but just look at the climate where that artificial grass is installed. Just as an example, there's a reason why BMO Field ripped up the artificial turf it had in its earlier years. One big reason was because there were many complaints, the other big reason was because the drainage was horrid.
I think this is real grass in those pictures.

That exact same solution exists all over Ontario. Why are people in this country so eager to invoke climate as an excuse of why something can't be done?

That exact same solution exists all over Ontario. Why are people in this country so eager to invoke climate as an excuse of why something can't be done?
Be sure to get back to me when you find artificial turf installed around streetcar tracks in Canada!

Back