Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

So true. There are other traffic code changes that Ontario has to catch up with. Speed limits (up to 120 km/h for the 400 series, the default urban speed limits should be 40 km/h), more pictographs signals and signs, transit specific signals, single-rider motorcyclists should be able to use the HOV on provincial roads, motorcyclists should be allowed to ride side-by-side.

1212462808_1.jpg

Illegal in Ontario

I've seen cops riding side by side a few times this summer. I never would've guessed that what they were doing was illegal.

That is indeed the standard the world over.
Boston:
539w.jpg

San Francisco:
SpacingSF7.jpg

(I wouldn't even know what that indicator meant without googling…no way would I get confused with my signal as a car)
Copenhagen:
CopenhagenTrafficLights_0.jpg

(An extra complicated example).

These are all very intuitive.
Cars: watch for green circles, arrows, etc.
Transit: Looks at white bars, triangles, and what-evers
Bicyclists: coloured bike signals are very obvious.

No one is confused. Imagine if you did this in Toronto. There would be identical sets of green, yellow, and red lights side-by-side with wordy text above each one.

Honestly, I have no idea what to make of the bicycle signal. Why are there two red aspects on one signal?

The vertical white bar is already allowed, and the recent update to the traffic code added bicycle symbols.

It's just a matter of actually implementing use of the transit signal.

The white vertical bar signal is used for buses turning onto Sheppard from Fairview Mall (Don Mills Station). The bar appears above the red light on the transit signal. I have only ever seen the white bar indicate "go" for buses, never the green light. The red light is always on, even concurrently with the white bar on.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7756...4!1sk4b0htTJHOdd0IIQKRwy2Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The white bar is also used for the bus-only signal phase coming out of the Bramalea Terminal, using small black signal casings like those elsewhere, also at Hespeler Road and Highway 401, for GRT and GO buses to enter the big box centre at the interchange. The lights are always red as well, only the white bar comes on and off. They seem to be used in the Golden Horseshoe only for bus/streetcar-only turning phases.

Also the Gunn's loop west of St Clair and Keele. Otherwise there's no way it can make that right across westbound traffic. Very short dedicated light.

Aug 15
Now the games are over, I guess they will finish installing the south railing on the bridge. Most likely will have an impact on TTC serive.
20051059143_054e1ec230_b.jpg
This was finished today. It's just a pair of rails in the same grey colour as the posts. What else needs to be done now that the PanAm Game are over?

The hydro portion between Rees and the Bridge... which I believe starts in October or November. They are to do the final hookups and remove the last telephone poles, which will enable them to finish the last few spots of the granite sidewalk.

I biked Queens Quay for the first time in a while today. What a disaster. On my way from Yonge to Bathurst, I had to stop completely for a pile of pedestrians who ignored me ringing my bell as I approached them. Then I almost had a car make a left into me when he had a red light...I assume he didn't read the "left turn signal" sign. On my way back I had a guy walk from the sidewalk to stand in bike lane and take a picture of the CN Tower. I've noticed people standing in the bike lane to take pictures of the CN Tower many times now...I guess the view is better or something. I nominate Queens Quay as the unsafest bike lane in the city...even the highway 7 bike lanes in Markham feel more safe.

I biked Queens Quay for the first time in a while today. What a disaster. On my way from Yonge to Bathurst, I had to stop completely for a pile of pedestrians who ignored me ringing my bell as I approached them. Then I almost had a car make a left into me when he had a red light...I assume he didn't read the "left turn signal" sign. On my way back I had a guy walk from the sidewalk to stand in bike lane and take a picture of the CN Tower. I've noticed people standing in the bike lane to take pictures of the CN Tower many times now...I guess the view is better or something. I nominate Queens Quay as the unsafest bike lane in the city...even the highway 7 bike lanes in Markham feel more safe.

They should rebuild the old route of the Martin Goodman Trail along Lake Shore as a bypass route for faster cyclists who don't want to deal with congestion on QQ. It still exists along Lake Shore, but it's in bad shape and in need of curb cuts and bike signals at major intersections.

Reactions: PL1
Reading the comments in this thread, I'm starting to think that cyclists are just a bunch of entitled crybabies. Can't get along with cars, can't get along with pedestrians. Just want some magical route built all for them, that they don't have to share with anyone else. The new MG trail is so much better than what was there before but cyclists still aren't happy. Hey, you're free to ride on the road with the cars anytime you want. Man oh man, there's no pleasing some folks. If we had a route that was just cyclists they'd be complaining that they don't want to share it with other cyclists.

Reading the comments in this thread, I'm starting to think that cyclists are just a bunch of entitled crybabies. Can't get along with cars, can't get along with pedestrians. Just want some magical route built all for them, that they don't have to share with anyone else. The new MG trail is so much better than what was there before but cyclists still aren't happy. Hey, you're free to ride on the road with the cars anytime you want. Man oh man, there's no pleasing some folks. If we had a route that was just cyclists they'd be complaining that they don't want to share it with other cyclists.

It makes sense to have multiple routes. Drivers have different freeways and arterial roads to choose from in a grid system. It makes our network of roads more functional. If I want a leisurely bike ride by the lake, I'll ride slowly and won't care about the occasional pedestrian photographing the CN Tower. If I want to quickly ride to Southcore, Sugar Beach or the Beaches from the west end via the Martin Goodman Trail, I'll take the QQ bypass route. That would make for a highly functional network of bicycle infrastructure.

It makes sense to have multiple routes. Drivers have different freeways and arterial roads to choose from in a grid system. It makes our network of roads more functional. If I want a leisurely bike ride by the lake, I'll ride slowly and won't care about the occasional pedestrian photographing the CN Tower. If I want to quickly ride to Southcore, Sugar Beach or the Beaches from the west end via the Martin Goodman Trail, I'll take the QQ bypass route. That would make for a highly functional network of bicycle infrastructure.

That's what I called for a few pages back. (Specifically, fixing up the old MGT as a high speed route for cyclists to bypass the more recreational QQ route)

Back