Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Shortly Richmond and Adelaide will get their extension to Parliament. Then, I think it will be a better bike route for transportation than Queen's Quay. Bicyclists can go as fast as they want there, as I don't think many exceed 40 km/hr unless on a steep hill.

The thing I don't like about the speed limit though, is it really should be dependent on conditions. If I'm on a section of the MGT away from pedestrians and have a tailwind, I can easily exceed 20 km/hr. Who cares then? If I'm on Queen's Quay and there are lots of pedestrians around, then maybe 10-15 km/hr is a more reasonable speed. Also most bikes aren't equipped with speedometers, so most cyclists don't know how fast they're going.

Ignoring how short and of limited use Richmond, Adelaide, Fort York, and Wellesley are, I still have a problem with the idea that a bike path should be less functional than the road it runs alongside.

Agree to disagree?

Everyone has to slow down when they get downtown. Speed limits drop when you move from wide open space to small narrow space. Cyclists need to check their privilege at the door.

The old MGT will be partially torn up between Rees and Spadina to make way for the new ramp. I use the old MGT every day - its a way more efficient way of getting to Simcoe, as using the new one feels like I'm going backwards. That - and no one cares how fast you go on the old MGT (I average about 25 km/h on it)

Here are some of the changes that were made. Problem solved?

"Stop here on red"
1-stop-here-on-red.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

"Waterfront recreational trail, max 20 km/h, no e-bikes"
2-waterfront-recreation-trail.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

I can barely read most of that.

"Transit signal"
3-transit-signal-lights.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Larger "cyclists dismount"
4-larger-dismount-signs.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Non-signalized driveways
5-non-signalized-driveways.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Bike stencils
6-bike-stencils.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

"Slow for pedestrians"
7-slow-for-pedestrians.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

"New" (i.e new signal that was not previously here)
8-starburst-new-signs.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

"Do not enter"
9-do-not-enter-signs.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

These have been added over the streetcar right-of-way at every intersection.

More info: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...-confusing-these-9-sign-changes-may-help.html

Attachments

• 1-stop-here-on-red.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    1-stop-here-on-red.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 474
  • 2-waterfront-recreation-trail.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    2-waterfront-recreation-trail.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 407
  • 3-transit-signal-lights.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    3-transit-signal-lights.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 395
  • 4-larger-dismount-signs.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    4-larger-dismount-signs.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 504
  • 5-non-signalized-driveways.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    5-non-signalized-driveways.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 411
  • 6-bike-stencils.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    6-bike-stencils.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 399
  • 7-slow-for-pedestrians.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    7-slow-for-pedestrians.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 391
  • 8-starburst-new-signs.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    8-starburst-new-signs.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 418
  • 9-do-not-enter-signs.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    9-do-not-enter-signs.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 400
What fantasy world are they living in that they think cyclist are going to get off their bikes and walk. It's silly, impractical, unnecessary, and just will not be followed. Even the photo they show makes it clear.

Agreed. Time for draconian measures:

US_Army_spike_strip.jpg

- Wikipedia

What fantasy world are they living in that they think cyclist are going to get off their bikes and walk. It's silly, impractical, unnecessary, and just will not be followed. Even the photo they show makes it clear.

So its silly and unnecessary for a larger, heavier and faster mode of transit to be polite to another form of transit that is at risk? Reminds me of what bikes complain about cars. This is the problem with bike culture in Toronto. Do as I say not as I do!

There should be rumble strips, etc to slow down the bike traffic by this sign. And police these rules...fine them and if they don't have ID or money confiscate the bike until they pay the fine.

Good to see the multi-use path includes room for parking your service van wherever you please. It was fun watching him drive through a crowd of people and cyclists to get to that spot. Excuse me, coming through, driving on a pedestrian space. Ah, perfect. I'll park right here.
IMG_6286.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6286.JPG
    IMG_6286.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 551
Good to see the multi-use path includes room for parking your service van wherever you please. It was fun watching him drive through a crowd of people and cyclists to get to that spot. Excuse me, coming through, driving on a pedestrian space. Ah, perfect. I'll park right here.View attachment 52693

You should tweet that pic to Toronto Bike Share. It's their van.

Back